lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-05-2019, 02:03 PM   #1
Randyoc1
Not Yet Wild

Default Big Block Options?

Hello all, I am curious of opinions you guys have on the Vanguard engines compared to the Honda's. (reliability, noise level, driveability) I'm getting closer to doing a big block swap in my cart but I don't have any experience with either. Thanks in advance!
Randyoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:37 AM   #2
superpro56
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Big Block Options?

Vangaurds hold the torque advantage over the single cylinder clones. Clones hold the rpm advantage over the v-twins. I think either can be a reliable option with a good maintenance schedule. Noise level can be controlled depending on your fabrication skills. All these engine have been put into numerous carts, and as long as there are no worn or defective parts they drive like a stock cart. Typically though, v-twins require a lift kit to fit under the seat where clones can be put in stock level carts. It may come down to if you want to keep the pedal start feature vs. a key start like a car. Smaller displacement clones (<460) typically retain the starter generator of the stock cart. Larger clones and v-twins typically have on-board starters and charging systems. Another thing to keep in mind is that the smaller clones have more race bred parts readily available, that works into how you want the cart to perform aspect. Speed parts usually increase high rpm durability thus increasing your speed ceiling of the cart, but may translate to reduced durability and increased wear.
superpro56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:43 AM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Here's what I know.

Honda GX630, 660, 690 engines apparently have an electronic rev limiter. If you plan on building a performance engine, you would be limited to what the the Honda will give based on rpm. I believe the rpm limiter is around 3600. What that does is limits your total power output during acceleration and top speed will be quite low. The engine will work well and last "forever" but you will just be limited in power and speed. I will tell you that Honda engines are top notch for technology and reliability. If there was a way to remove the governor, these engines would be very popular for cart use.

Briggs Vanguard 23hp engines have a mechanical governor. In stock form they can rev safely to 4500 rpm, and with minimal parts can rev to 5500, although some carb adjustments might be needed. In stock form the 23hp Vanguard has enough power and speed for most performance enthusiasts.

Both styles require a lift kit. There are smaller engines that you can use that don't.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:27 AM   #4
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

New, kept stock Vanguards have a 3 year warranty.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:36 PM   #5
Randyoc1
Not Yet Wild

Great info! Thanks guys, the pedal start isn't that important to me and the cart is already lifted. I almost bought a Honda last week, now I'm glad I didn't. I had no idea about the Rev limiter. Thanks again!
Randyoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!