lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-24-2016, 05:53 PM   #1
steele
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 84 Club Car 36 Volt Wide open only as soon as it comes alive

CORRECTION 1982 36 volt
As soon as you push the pedal just 1/2 inch it goes full throttle.which is faster than normal speed . Like Burn out marks on cement!! Fast. No body has been tampering with it . It did act like it had 2 speeds for a long time and then it just started 1 speed BURN OUT !!!! Away You go Same in reverse. Any one out there have the Diagnostic Instructions to check it out or know what may be going on here? Thanks Rick.
steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 06:56 PM   #2
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Default Re: 84 Club Car 36 Volt Wide open only as soon as it comes alive

There are five solenoids on the cart and three resistors. There are five microswitches attached to a stepped ramp that are engaged in series as you push the throttle. As you look at the solenoids from driver to passenger side they are solenoids 1-5, 1 is the master.

Microswitch 1 engages solenoid 1 as soon as the pedal is pressed, this nets no movement.

Switch two engages solenoid 2 which is "first gear" and has current flowing through 3 resistors.

Switch 3 engages solenoid 3 which is "second gear" and current flows through 2 resistors.

Switch 4 engages solenoid 4 which is "third gear" and current flows through 1 resistor.

Switch 5 engages solenoid 5 which is "fourth gear" and current flows straight from the batteries to the motor.

Over time, the solenoids tend to fail. It sounds as if your solenoid 5 is possibly welded closed and maybe solenoid one also, and some others are not working. It is a really good idea to check all your microswitches first (simple normally open switch, check with a continuity tester that they close and open when the lever is pressed) and then replace any which are bad. Then replace any bad solenoids, which in your case may be several. It is advisable to replace all 5 at once to cut down on repetitive repairs when the next one goes out, since they have probably been in service since 82 they will be very brittle and are bound to fail soon if they haven't already.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:23 PM   #3
steele
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the info. I can likely get through this with your explanation and the wiring diagram that I have.As I work on electric carts and chargers daily . Mostly newer ones. Now I can Surely GET SOME SMOKE GOING NOW !!!
NOT ! Just kidding. I hate when the Magic smoke comes out !!!!!
Seriously Thanks for your time and Knowledge. Rick
Old 04-24-2016, 07:35 PM   #4
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by steele View Post
Thanks for the info. I can likely get through this with your explanation and the wiring diagram that I have.As I work on electric carts and chargers daily . Mostly newer ones. Now I can Surely GET SOME SMOKE GOING NOW !!!
NOT ! Just kidding. I hate when the Magic smoke comes out !!!!!
Seriously Thanks for your time and Knowledge. Rick
These old carts are pretty simple in nature, so if you can work on newer ones this one will be a piece of cake once you get into it. If you hit a snag or need any help just let us know on here, we'll do our best to help you get her running on all 5 again.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:55 PM   #5
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93yellowclubcar View Post
There are five solenoids on the cart and three resistors. There are five microswitches attached to a stepped ramp that are engaged in series as you push the throttle. As you look at the solenoids from driver to passenger side they are solenoids 1-5, 1 is the master.

Microswitch 1 engages solenoid 1 as soon as the pedal is pressed, this nets no movement.

Switch two engages solenoid 2 which is "first gear" and has current flowing through 3 resistors.

Switch 3 engages solenoid 3 which is "second gear" and current flows through 2 resistors.

Switch 4 engages solenoid 4 which is "third gear" and current flows through 1 resistor.

Switch 5 engages solenoid 5 which is "fourth gear" and current flows straight from the batteries to the motor.

Over time, the solenoids tend to fail. It sounds as if your solenoid 5 is possibly welded closed and maybe solenoid one also, and some others are not working. It is a really good idea to check all your microswitches first (simple normally open switch, check with a continuity tester that they close and open when the lever is pressed) and then replace any which are bad. Then replace any bad solenoids, which in your case may be several. It is advisable to replace all 5 at once to cut down on repetitive repairs when the next one goes out, since they have probably been in service since 82 they will be very brittle and are bound to fail soon if they haven't already.
Great explanation!
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:00 PM   #6
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
Great explanation!
Sticky material in my opinion...
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:59 PM   #7
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Easy to work on - no electronics to let the magic smoke out of. :-) You might have a stuck solenoid. Sounds like as soon as the main solenoid closes, you have full power. You should have all of the resistors in series with the motor when the pedal is just pressed. The further you press, the more solenoids are energized which shorts out some of the resistor coils. This is how it increases the power delivered to the motor.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:52 AM   #8
steele
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks a lot for taking me up under your wing .You might say. I am going to do some poking at it in the am with a good volt/ohm meter and a good helper that is (color blind ) oh well i`ll say hold it on this wire while i check over here. I`ll Let you guys know what I find. Thanks so much. Rick
Old 04-25-2016, 12:39 PM   #9
steele
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok Guys the verdict is in ! #5 sol Welded shut as we thought. # 3&4 sol Failed.
# 3 micro switch Intermittent. So It gets a set of 5 new sols and it got a new micro sw from stock. Hooked pedal box up to 12 volts and operated one of the good sols off of each wire from pedal switches. One at a time to check that they would carry the proper amp load for sols to latch in. They all pass now. Now we wait for sol set to arrive . Thanks again I`ll let you know after friday or saturday.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:21 PM   #10
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car