lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-01-2010, 04:51 PM   #1
Buggy_Dave
Not Yet Wild

Exclamation Handbrake sucks for golf. Need help converting to "Hill Brake".

I purchased a brand new Tomberlin e-merge E2 LE in December 2009. Just took it out golfing for the firs time yesterday. OMG, the hand brake system is HORRIBLE for golf !!!

To top that off, my state, Kentucky, won't let us drive these on the road.

So, I can either sell the vehicle, loose my tax credit, and loose money.... OR....

I can convert it to a more typical golf cart braking system. I've googled all kinds of custom cart shops accross the U.S. today. I can't find anybody who wants to work on this.

I've called Tomberlin for help, but I'm willing to bet they will be of little help. They designed the thing this way. And when the sales staff claims they haven't played 18 holes of golf on one.... well anyway.

All that said, I like most of the bells and whistles. And I really dig my gunmetal grey color with wood-grain. At this point, I'm not ready to give up on the vehicle. I have access to a machine shop to craft any parts necessary for the conversion. But I've never worked on any carts before.

-Dave
Buggy_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-01-2010, 05:03 PM   #2
Ddill
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Handbrake sucks for golf. Need help converting to "Hill Brake".

Dave, it just takes a little getting used to. Yes I agree a hand brake isnt ideal for golf, but its also not the end of the world. I have played 18-20 rounds in my 2009 E-2 and after the first few rounds its not much of an issue. The part I dont like is that it limits me to seating 2. No more letting the girlfriend ride for a few holes while I have a passenger. Just my thoughts.....Daniel
Ddill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #3
statman
Not Yet Wild

You will get used to it. I play golf three times a week. I have had my Tomberlin for exactly a year, and prior to that, I had a GEM (also had a hand brake) for seven years. I'll admit it took some getting used to, but now I actually prefer the hand brake.
statman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:27 AM   #4
Buggy_Dave
Not Yet Wild

Cool encouragement

I appreciate the encouragement to give it more time. However, I'm still on a mission to convert this machine. SURELY it can be done.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:48 AM   #5
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

I don't have a clue to the pedal assembly on your cart, but it would take at minimum retrofitting an existing golf cart brake and accelerator pedal to yours. If the cart is based on a golf cart frame the "infrastructure" on your frame might already be there. You then still have the consideration of locking up the brakes on road at higher speeds, and that can be a little hairy......
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 04:05 PM   #6
Buggy_Dave
Not Yet Wild

Question hydraulic system

So I took the cart to my local shop. I now have a pretty good understanding of what is required to make this retro-fit possible. However, the biggest concern is the stress that would be placed on the master cylinder. Anybody out there have any thoughts on this?
Old 08-29-2011, 11:18 AM   #7
mickanderson23
Not Yet Wild

I have same problem, brake position sucks for golf. Did you ever find solution?
mickanderson23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:33 AM   #8
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickanderson23 View Post
I have same problem, brake position sucks for golf. Did you ever find solution?

Welcome to BGW mickanderson23, I'am not sure your going to get a answer, The last time - Buggy_Dave - signed on was 4/8/10
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:04 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I was wondering when somebody was going to note that the Tomberline has hydraulic brakes at the peddle and a cable park brake.

Perhaps it is as simple as a little one way valve between the wheels and the master that can easily be set and released with a button? No load on the master that way but, the wheel cylinders would be loaded up... Just wondering out loud.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:31 PM   #10
dougmcp
Gone Wild

When I read your concern, I had the same thought as Scottyb. When I used to race we used a product called a line lock to keep the car from rolling out of staging. It just locks the brakes and holds until you release by pressing a button or flipping a remote switch. They are around $25-$50.
Here is an electric one:

Here's a manual one:

On your tax issue, you will not lose any tax credits if you sell your cart. You only need to buy it, take delivery and after that you can sell it without recourse.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, custom, e-merge, emerge, tomberling
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin