lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-18-2021, 04:45 PM   #1
Yammie Dude
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Electrical Puzzler of the Day

Yesterday I had my cart at my gun club. At the end of the day I was loading the cart onto my trailer (I have to back it on to the trailer, long story. Trust me.) I accidentally jumped the gas going up the the ramp and slammed into the front trailer bar with the rear bumper-hard. When I turned the ignition key off, it kept running. When I pulled the spark plug wire, it kept running. I headed home and it was off by the time I got home. I started it today. Fired right up but again would not shut off until I removed the battery cable. So Friends, I am lost as to where to begin the search to correct this and once again appreciate your time and expertise with any suggestions.
Yammie Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-18-2021, 07:34 PM   #2
HeatWave
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Electrical Puzzler of the Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yammie Dude View Post
Yesterday I had my cart at my gun club. At the end of the day I was loading the cart onto my trailer (I have to back it on to the trailer, long story. Trust me.) I accidentally jumped the gas going up the the ramp and slammed into the front trailer bar with the rear bumper-hard. When I turned the ignition key off, it kept running. When I pulled the spark plug wire, it kept running. I headed home and it was off by the time I got home. I started it today. Fired right up but again would not shut off until I removed the battery cable. So Friends, I am lost as to where to begin the search to correct this and once again appreciate your time and expertise with any suggestions.
A Short (break) in the ground wire going to the key switch?
Grounds out the ignition to shut down the engine.

Removing the battery cable while the engine is running will (usually) pop the diode in the voltage regulator.

Close the choke to shut the engine down.
HeatWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 08:14 AM   #3
AGELE55
Gone Wild

Yamaha

“When I pulled the spark plug wire, it kept running.“
It is physically impossible for an engine to rum without a spark....unless it’s a diesel...lol

Maybe your SG was just spinning until the battery died?
AGELE55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 09:42 AM   #4
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Sounds like your solenoid took a hit when you slammed into trailer and is now sticking keeping starter turning over may be a possibility...
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 10:30 AM   #5
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have to agree, if you pulled the plug wire it wasn't actually running anymore. No doubt it was turning over on the starter. Check to see if you're getting 12V across the small terminals on the solenoid while it's continuing to "run". Once you get off the pedal the solenoid small terminals should no longer be powered (loses ground). If you don't have 12V (+ on blue wire, - on orange) but the starter is still being powered, the solenoid is stuck "on".
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 04:04 PM   #6
Yammie Dude
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I tested across the small terminals while the key was off. It continued to run. So looks like the solenoid is shot.
Stand by for update and Thanks!
Old 01-26-2021, 03:12 PM   #7
Yammie Dude
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Update: a new solenoid has resolved the problem. G22 runs great again.

Many thanks to all.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:30 AM   #8
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Glad to hear it and thanks for the update!
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha