lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > General Discussion > Side x Sides/ATVs/Quads/Bikes/Jeeps/4x4's!
Side x Sides/ATVs/Quads/Bikes/Jeeps/4x4's! Side x Sides, ATVs, Quads, Bikes, Jeeps, 4x4, and everything else.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-03-2020, 03:53 PM   #1
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Cart tire chain size questions

Ok, lemme start this by stating that I have a set of UTV tire chains that I purchased maybe ten years ago. Since then I upgraded my machines tires and to date, have not needed the chains.

But a buddy of mine is looking for chains. So, I said lemme measure mine and see if they would fit.

The "formula" for determining chain length is tire diameter x 3.14 (Pie...and not the pie you eat). So...here's the numbers

My chain length = 44"
My chain width = 17"

Now, the tires that I had these chains on are 22x11x10. My buddies tires are 26x11x12.

So....according to the "formula" the length of chain needed to fit my tires is 22x3.14=69"....but again, my chains are 44" long.

Which beg's the question.......How does that work? The chains worked on my 22" tires....but the formula says they should not!!

Any help here would be appreciated!!!
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-03-2020, 05:02 PM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Cart tire chain size questions

You cannot measure like you did since the chain when installed the outside edge is closer to the diameter of the wheels than the tire diameter.

It also depends on the construction and geometry/pattern of the lateral chains (straight, diamond, etc).

If You know the brand just call them with the tire specs you have and they will tell you if it fits.

I doubt it will fit, your friend tires are much bigger but perhaps the manufacturer has specific suggestions to increase the length.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 02:21 AM   #3
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
My chain length = 44"
My chain width = 17"

Now, the tires that I had these chains on are 22x11x10. My buddies tires are 26x11x12.

So....according to the "formula" the length of chain needed to fit my tires is 22x3.14=69"....but again, my chains are 44" long.

Which beg's the question.......How does that work? The chains worked on my 22" tires....but the formula says they should not!!

Any help here would be appreciated!!!
Howdy DaveTM,

The short answer is the chains will be wide enough, but not long enough.

Here is "how this works":

To get the terminology right, tire chains are made up of side chains (that chains that go around the sidewalls of your tires) and cross chains (the chains that goes over your tire treads and provides your traction). The cross chains are attached to the side chains using cross chain hooks (one on each end of the cross chain).

I "assume" your 17" width is measured with the chain laid out flat and measured from the outside of the side chain to the outside of the other side chain. Some people might also measure chain width from the inside edge the cross chain hook to the inside edge of the other cross chain hook ... which gives you the effective cross chain width.

Since your chains fit your 22" diameter x 11" wide tires, they must overlap the sidewalls of your tires enough to fit your 44" chain length. The 44" chain length would also be circumference of the side chain circle.

Since circumference = pi x diameter ... if follows that diameter = circumference / pi. With the chains fitting on your tires, the diameter of the side chain circle = circumference / pi = 44" / 3.14 = 14.0".

Since your tires are 22" diameter and your side chain circle is 14", then your chains must be covering your tire sidewall by 22" - 14" = 8" total or 4" all the way around the tire. Thus for your 11" wide tire, your tires chains would overlap the sidewall by 4".

Your friend's tires are 26" diameter x 11" wide ... so are the same 11" width as yours ... so your chains will overlap his 11" wide tires by 4" as well (give or take a bit depending on tread pattern and tire wear).

But on a 26" diameter tire with your chains overlapping the tire sidewall by 4" all the way around results in a side chain diameter of 26" - 4" - 4" = 18" side chain diameter.

The chain length required for an 18" side chain diameter can be calculated as : circumference = pi x diameter = 3.14 x 18" = 56.5" (say 57").

So it turns out that your tire chains are 13" too short (57" - 44") for your friends tires. Additional side chain and cross chains can be added to extend your chains to obtain the desired length. You will want to make sure the chain pitch (length of each link) is the same as your existing chains.

Also be sure to check that sidewall clearance is sufficient for using chains. I have to reverse my rims change the offset and to obtain enough clearance for chains. Wheel spacers can also be used if additional clearance is required.

See photo below for reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5421A.jpg (388.1 KB, 0 views)
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:02 AM   #4
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Well, I thank Sergio for his input and the explanation provided by ThreeCW is like reading a textbook on "how to measure fit". Thanks 3CW!! It now makes sense to me.

I did notice on your pic, that you have a couple of "Quick-links" (see pic) on your cross-chains. How well do they hold up when compared to "regular" links?

Old 12-04-2020, 08:09 AM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Being that Charlotte NC is the coldest place I have ever lived, You should listen to the Canadian guy, Eh
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 02:37 PM   #6
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
I did notice on your pic, that you have a couple of "Quick-links" (see pic) on your cross-chains. How well do they hold up when compared to "regular" links?
I had to add a couple of cross chains to make the "lawn mower tires chains" fit my Cushman tires.

The quick links were what I had on the shelf ... probably not the best for the application but it is what I had available at the time. I did have to use some Loctite thread lock on the threads of the quick links to keep them from backing out. I don't think that they will be a durable as a regular link.

Probably a better link to use would be the chain "repair links" shown below that you close using a vice or plyers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Repair Links.JPG (50.4 KB, 0 views)
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 04:21 PM   #7
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Being that Charlotte NC is the coldest place I have ever lived, You should listen to the Canadian guy, Eh

NC is cold? Why here in PA it has gotten so cold my feet literally snapped of at the ankles.....and the rest of the winter I had to walk on two stumps!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post
I had to add a couple of cross chains to make the "lawn mower tires chains" fit my Cushman tires.

The quick links were what I had on the shelf ... probably not the best for the application but it is what I had available at the time. I did have to use some Loctite thread lock on the threads of the quick links to keep them from backing out. I don't think that they will be a durable as a regular link.

Probably a better link to use would be the chain "repair links" shown below that you close using a vice or plyers.
Yeah......IIRC I did purchase some of those "repair links" to fix something. I also remember buying the "chain pliers" from the web site. Those pliers are about as useful as a tin-foil hat. A good pair of vice-grips, a vice, and a ball-peen hammer will usually do it.
Old 02-14-2022, 02:27 PM   #8
Runagma

Default -

I have an 04 crf70 with a 88cc head kit. I added 9 teeth in the rear 13/45 . I needed low end on our tight little 50cc track. What size chain do I need now ?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > General Discussion > Side x Sides/ATVs/Quads/Bikes/Jeeps/4x4's!