lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-25-2020, 06:42 PM   #1
joepiccaso
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Rewiring After my upgrade - Where do they all go?

I've done a 36V to 48V up grade on my 1994 CC 6-seater. I've installed a new motor, Curtis SW180 Solenoid, Alltrax SR48500 controller, new FnR switch, and a Summit II onboard charger. There was No OBC, and I removed the old Charger plug connection and Fuse. It had a a SS controller before and onboard charger.

Now I'm having trouble figuring where all of the smaller wires go. I took lots of pictures before I started, but I cannot tell where the old wired go on the new parts. The connections are different. Like the FnR switch has the 3 micro-switches on it, but one has two tabs and the other two have three wire pigtails on each and the colors don't match my wiring. Does it matter which of the 3 pig tails I use, as long as I attach to the same corresponding switch?

The old solenoid had two small posts on the top, but the new one has 4 tabs on the side and two are taken up by the Diode. So how do I get the old wires on the new solenoid. I have all of the power wires attached.

I had an old Curtis controller with 3 small tabs and the 3 power lugs. How do I tell which places on the new controller correspond to the old controller. The 3 large lugs are marked the same, but the smaller wires are way different. Is there a code sheet?

I know what was connected to the old equipment, but the new is so different, I cannot tell for sure. Long question, hoping for a short answer Thanks, Joe

Last edited by joepiccaso; 05-25-2020 at 09:38 PM.. Reason: spelling
joepiccaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-26-2020, 05:39 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Rewiring After my upgrade - Where do they all go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepiccaso View Post
I've done a 36V to 48V up grade on my 1994 CC 6-seater. I've installed a new motor, Curtis SW180 Solenoid, Alltrax SR48500 controller, new FnR switch, and a Summit II onboard charger. There was No OBC, and I removed the old Charger plug connection and Fuse. It had a a SS controller before and onboard charger.

Now I'm having trouble figuring where all of the smaller wires go. Post us some pics of what you have now and need. Also go to the wiring stickies that are at the top of the Electrical Forum page as tjere are FNR wiring diagrams in there. I took lots of pictures before I started, but I cannot tell where the old wired go on the new parts. The connections are different. Like the FnR switch has the 3 micro-switches on it, but one has two tabs and the other two have three wire pigtails on each and the colors don't match my wiring. Does it matter which of the 3 pig tails I use, as long as I attach to the same corresponding switch?

The old solenoid had two small posts on the top, but the new one has 4 tabs on the side and two are taken up by the Diode. So how do I get the old wires on the new solenoid. I have all of the power wires attached. The other two posts are for your Positive and Negative activation wires. Hook them up the same way they came off your old solenoid.

I had an old Curtis controller with 3 small tabs and the 3 power lugs. How do I tell which places on the new controller correspond to the old controller. The 3 large lugs are marked the same, but the smaller wires are way different. Is there a code sheet? Look on the Alltrax website and they should have a drawing for you. Call them or email them for more assistance.

I know what was connected to the old equipment, but the new is so different, I cannot tell for sure. Long question, hoping for a short answer Thanks, Joe
Joe, look above.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 01:08 AM   #3
joepiccaso
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thanks, Nole. Part of the issue is that the solenoid and the controller are quite different, and I removed the charger port and fuse.I'll post some pics. The old Curtis controller (Model 1205) has three smaller tabs marked 1,2,3. The new Alltrax has like J1, etc. The micro-switches on t he FnR are a puzzle. I've separated the wires coming from the V-Glide. Some of it is starting to make sense looking at some wiring diagrams, but even those seem a bit different from what I have. Instead of just pictures, i probably should have labeled each wire as I disconnected it. Hindsight is 20/20. All of the Power wires are in and i believe that are correct. I think I have the solenoid figured out. I appreciate the help. I've let my mind clear, so I can try again fresh. I thought I had this since I took those picks, but it's still a bit overwhelming.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:06 AM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Tab 1 was power (goes to Red tab on SR), tabs 2 & 3 were the throttle input wires (goes to J4 & J5 on SR).

Was that a 2-wire (0-5k throttle) or a 3-wire (5k-0 throttle)

Go here https://alltraxinc.com/sr-series/ and scroll down to the Throttle Drawings and the Wiring Diagrams to help you more.

Tech Support is 541-476-3565 (Great help!) Damon Crockett is making sure he gets the support team available to you when needed.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:55 AM   #5
joepiccaso
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thanks, Nole! There are 4 wires out of the Throttle, Green/White; Blue w/5/16" ring terminal; Black & White. The Black & White wires have 2 female terminals and the Black wire has a resistor just before the end terminal.

I have been using the attached Diagram to trace the wires. Note that I have removed the old Charger port with fuse. It wasn't being used when I got it as it had an onboard Charger and No OBC. There was a small Red/White wire from the terminal with the heavy Blk wire and it went to the FnR switch. I'm not sure what it was for, some kind of lock out maybe, but I'm hoping it's no longer needed. So. I may need to rewire something there or put a jumper in. I haven't gotten that far yet.

I did connect the Green/White wire to the FnR switch, as it is that way on the Diagram. I'll start comparing the pictures I took before dismantling the wiring with what I have left. Other wires I have left are a double Heavy Black with a 5/16" Ring Terminal; White/Blk w/female terminal; a double Orange with a female terminal; Green with Ring Terminal.

The SR info was helpful. I also found some info on the old Curtis controller that may give some cross references to the SR controller.

I'll get back to work early in the morning and start figuring it out more. Thanks again. It's starting to make sense.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Throttle Wires 1.jpg (88.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Throttle Wires 2.jpg (80.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Throttle Wires 4.jpg (105.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Throttle Wires 3 .jpg (74.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Throttle Wires 5.jpg (201.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-31-2020, 01:15 PM   #6
joepiccaso
Getting Wild
Club Car

I think I have the Wiring all done. The Heavy Power cables were easy as they all matched the old ones., except that the old Curtis (m#1205) controller had an A2 lug (white wire) and the new SR48500 didn't. The Curtis had a jumper to the FnR switch and the new wiring the White wire went straight to the FnR. I Also, removed the old Charger plug with Fuse. I had and still have an onboard charger. It never had an OBC.

Three areas that I still have some concerns:
  1. Microswitches on the FnR
  2. Throttle wiring on the new Controller
  3. New small post wiring on new Solenoid

FnR Wiring:
The Old FnR had 3 microswitches each with a pair of bare 0.187" tabs.
The New FnR has 3 microswitches but the 1st one (inside) had 2 bare tabs and the other 2 have three pigtails each.
Does it matter which wire or tab on each switch I use? I attached the wires to the switches as before on the 1st one, but the other two I connected the same wires as before to the same switch, except I couldn't tell to which of the pigtail wires to use.

Throttle wiring:
The old Curtis Controller had 3 bare 0.25" tabs, 1,2 & 3.
The new Alltrax Controller has 6 tabs; J1 (Blk-Sol, Blue-Reverse, Green-User, Red-KSI), then J4, 5 & 6. I used the Wiring Diagram supplied "SR to CC DS- year:1995 to Present) So, I attached the Old controller tabs as follows:
Old #1 (Red Wire) to SR Red-KSI
Old #2 (Black) to J4
Old #3 (White) to J5
The Blk & Wht wires came from the wire loom from the throttle. The other throttle wires were a Green/Wht and a Blue. G/W went to the #1 microswitch & Blue went to the Positive Solenoid Tab.

Solenoid:
Old Solenoid had 2 small screw posts on the top. The New Solenoid has 2 rows of two 1/4" bare tabs on the side.
On the Positive side of the solenoid I put the Diode. Positive end up.
On the other set of 2 tabs:
I put the wires that were on the small Positive post to the Upper Tab;
And the wires that were on the small Negative post to the Lower Tab.

I had to combine a couple of wires to a single connector since I only have one Positive and Negative tabs to work with.

I know this is a lot, but these were the areas I had the most concerns and hoped someone may be able to see if I've made a grave error. This seemed to match the diagrams that most fit my wiring and attempting to put them back as they came off. Some of the connects are marked differently, and I don't know each wire by it's origin, just color.

Thanks, Again for everyone's help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old FnR Microswitch Wiring.jpg (95.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Old Controller Wiring.jpg (135.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg New Controller Wiring.jpg (176.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg New FnR Microswitch Wiring.2.jpg (154.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg New Solenoid wiring.jpg (117.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-31-2020, 07:32 PM   #7
joepiccaso
Getting Wild
Club Car

Update! I charged the batteries, that did work, but when I tried to run it . . . Houston We have a Problem!

I turned the Key to On, nothing happened. Put it in Reverse. The Buzzer didn't go off. Put it in Forward and pushed on the accelerator and heard a big CLICK, and nothing. Same in Reverse, Click and nothing.

I do not think that any of the heavy power cables are wrong, unless it's the two inside lugs on the FnR. They were in different positions on the old Switch. There are two lugs inside the FnR and two outside. Maybe, I got them reversed?

Any thoughts? Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New FnR Switch.jpg (132.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg New FnR Switch.2.jpg (125.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg New FnR Switch.3.jpg (135.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Old FnR Switch.jpg (184.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Old FnR Switch.1.jpg (211.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-31-2020, 08:49 PM   #8
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Did you download the Alltrax Tool Kit and see what errors or faults it is giving you?
Old 05-31-2020, 09:43 PM   #9
joepiccaso
Getting Wild
Club Car

No, I missed that. I'll look into it now. I did on the battery charger. But, I just missed that one. Thanks!
Old 06-01-2020, 04:53 AM   #10
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepiccaso View Post
No, I missed that. I'll look into it now. I did on the battery charger. But, I just missed that one. Thanks!
All three (3) of these on the left side of the screen.

https://alltraxinc.com/wp-content/up...-SR-MANUAL.pdf

https://alltraxinc.com/alltrax-tool-kit/

https://alltraxinc.com/wp-content/up...t-Manual-1.pdf

Tags
charger fuse, controller, micro switches, solenoid
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car