lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-22-2020, 08:57 PM   #1
dudelinger
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Default 1990 parcar ignition missing

howdy, new to the forum. awesome place for information! thank you

getting started on my first golf cart repair...i mean, project

1990 p4g

the ignition moduel is missing. the points plate is also missing. along with cables and other parts... my next step is spark. i tested the coil and has good resistance so i think it is original. i found the rotor in the cup holder, it is slightly cracked, but seems to fit tightly onto the cam.

my question, will the original cam work with the IG11-015 - Points Plate Kit ----- or would it be smarter to install an HEI. i am ok doing either, but need to know if my cam is ok for one or the other.

thank you
dudelinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-26-2020, 08:19 AM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1990 parcar ignition missing

Your cam end should be the slightly updated one that is just a bit oblong on the one end (the older carts were round).

You are going to need the points plate kit no matter what as it is needed for either a points set up OR to replace the rotor you found. Understand that the rotor is only used for the OEM ignition modules that are no longer made. There is an "ignition module" sticky at the top of the forum that you may want to take a peek at? There was a guy about a year or so ago who was able to use a car ignition module work. That could be an option for you as well.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 11:42 AM   #3
dudelinger
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Default Re: 1990 parcar ignition missing

I ordered the points kit and got it installed. Installed a new coil also. Have great spark.

The wiring was a nightmare, i had to make a lot of new wiring and delete a lot of broken hillbilly mess. Got a used car battery wired in. The ignition switch wasnt working in reverse, so i popped it apart and cleaned its contacts, the balls and little springs had fallen out inside. I put it together and glued it up, works great. That reverse buzzer diode was burnt, i deleted it and installed a new jumper instead of the diode and deleted the buzzer.

Onto the next... when i got it the carb was loose, not installed. I cleaned it, found a matching needle from a good used carb and installed. Had a pin hole in the bowl so i soddered it closed, no more leaks. Got a 10$ choke cable from the local lawn mower shop. I made a throttle cable from a used mower PTO cable and used a solid inner cable, works great cost $10? for replacement eyelits to put on it. For $10 vs $80 for an origianl, it was worth it to try. The governor plate is missing, but i dont think it is needed. All this rigged together just to try it.
I deleted the oil injector because i did not know if it work. I mixed the gas 50:1 same as all my chain saws and old lawnboy mowers. Used premium gas and STIHL HPU oil mix. Does that mix sound ok to use? No smoke when running.

It runs great! Ran it all day until the belt shredded, it was horribly dry rotted. While a new is on the way i will start buttoning it up. For a total of 800 i got a fugly but functional golf cart. I do need a new ignition switch still, because someone cut the end of it off, so it will not mount to the dash, it is sticking up through the cup holder but still works.

If anyone needs pictures or help, let me know. Thank you to all the previous people and there posts, some helpful useful stuff. Little did i know parcar was going to be hard to find info on when i bought it, i didnt know what i was getting myself into.
dudelinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar