lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-13-2020, 03:53 PM   #1
sutty101
Not Yet Wild

Default Champion Shaft rockers with duromax help

Hello I am new to this site. I have learned so much after doing a duromax g2 build. I just purchased a set of hd springs and heavy duty pushrods and champion Shaft rockers from Vegas carts. Was very happy with service. But upon install my motor would not run with the rockers installed. I have correct length pushrods and so forth. Called vega carts and he said he had never heard of that issue. Has anyone else heard or dealt with this?
sutty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-13-2020, 04:24 PM   #2
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: Champion Shaft rockers with duromax help

Did you set the lash right ?
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 05:16 PM   #3
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Pull the spark plug and the valve cover. Roll the engine over by hand and watch and if the valves are operating. As you turn the crankshaft watch the piston as it comes to TDC [through the spark plug hole] Figure out your strokes 1 is intake and the intake valve is open as the piston goes down. 2 is compression as the piston comes back to TDC - both valves are closed, bang the plug lights the fuel mixture. 3 is power stroke back down to the bottom - the exhaust valve has started to open before reaching the bottom. 4 is exhaust stroke as the piston comes back to TDC

Now that you know all that, turn the engine over by hand - watching the intake valve open then close - keep turning the crankshaft till the piston is all the way up TDC - turn the flywheel about 1.5 inches more. This is where you adjust the valves -- both of them. You are at the very bottom of the cam's lobe and the 1.5 inches more turn makes sure the compression release is out of the way.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 05:52 PM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

On red beards garage Vegascarts 460 cc engine build on youtube you can see him do the valve lash on the champion rockers.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:29 PM   #5
sutty101
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the input guys but the lash is set correct. Put stamped rockers on motor runs fine. Take them off put shaft rockers on set lash and backfires pops and carries on like has a timing issue. Put stamped steel rockers back on set lash fires right up weirdest thing I have ever seen.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:25 PM   #6
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

You are removing the guide plate when using the shaft rockers ?
Old 05-13-2020, 10:55 PM   #7
sutty101
Not Yet Wild

Yes ray I have been removing the guide plate with the shaft rockers. Right now I have the guide plate in and using the better push rods which are probably too long since I'm not using the shaft rockers. But just wanted to see if it would fire up.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:32 AM   #8
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

You have me stumped.I converted my VC 460 with NRracing units and both of my home generators with the VC supplied champion units and all 3 worked out fine. The generators did not need different push rods and the 460 got longer units from NR.
Old 05-17-2020, 04:14 PM   #9
sutty101
Not Yet Wild

Ray I am stumped as well the reason I bought the longer pushrod was vegas carts said I need them. I will look at this situation again in a few days have new parts coming to rebuild driven clutch I'll keep you posted. I was getting frustrated that day with parts changing lol.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:23 PM   #10
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

You know, as I think about it, I had issues with my 440/460 when I changed to the 1.3 rockers. It had starting issues and couldn't get it to say running even with ether. Changed back to the cheapie stock units and Vroooom!!! Wonder what these aftermarket parts do to the valvetrain that causes issues?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!