lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-22-2020, 10:58 AM   #21
nrochwal
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: New BB Engine Dilema

Carts been running great, I hooked the throttle cable to the factory linkage and i'm not real happy with it with the way the governor works. First the governor doesn't allow me to drop the idle down low enough to not engage the clutch, second i'm not interested in a real fast top speed, but i would like to be able to keep the revs up on acceleration as the cart shifts. It seems as if once it starts to pull, the governor kicks in for a split second, slows the rpms, then it starts to pull again, i even can see this happen visually when driving without the seat on.

I read in one of these threads somewhere someone loosened a bolt and thats all it took for the governor to be disengaged, is that a true statement? Can i just remove all the linkage and run a throttle cable directly to the carb? Really would like to be able to figure this out without having to open the engine up.
nrochwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-22-2020, 02:15 PM   #22
jclark138
Runs with scissors-

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellett5261 View Post
how does this sound? possibly video clip? and how does the seat hold up with the heat? my stock seat is deforming i'll be doing the seats soon and im going to redo the seat bottom with starboard and line it with dynamat for the heat. im thinking about pulling the body off too and lining the entire backside of the body with 1" or 2" foam to keep the noise down
Delayed reply- apologies don’t have any video, but the valve train noise, and squeaky front end are louder than the exhaust. The three or four people who have ridden on it didn’t think it was a problem.
My seat is plywood, and I haven’t noticed any issues. Seldom ever go for more than 10 -15 minutes at a stretch though.
jclark138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 02:36 PM   #23
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrochwal View Post
Update, the engine and clutch came in last week and I opened it up to find out that a 18hp vanguard was sent instead of the 23... Talked CPP and they were cool about it, instead of shipping it back and waiting several more weeks to get the correct engine I agreed to get an exhaust kit mailed to me so I didn't have to cut and modify my old Honda exhaust like I was planning. Going to mount it up for test rides and shake down and see how loud it is prior to messing with a different muffler set up. Kind of was going along the lines of an old RZR 800 muffler or old street bike muffler with my thought process originally.

Got the engine put in over the weekend after an initial install, some alignment issues and a quick trip to the hardware store for some different nuts, bolts, washers ect. Now the engine is back in lined up and ready to extend the harness and connect the linkage. Image below is initial install prior to me pulling out and adjusting the clutch for alignment.

Question for you guys on the throttle linkage, does anyone have some pictures of how they hooked up the linkage that works well? How about the choke? I'g going to need a longer cable for the choke as the linkage for that is on the back of the engine.
You bought a 23HP and they sent you a 18HP? I'd make them make it right! Shame on you Bruce
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!