lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-23-2020, 07:57 PM   #1
nrochwal
Not Yet Wild

Default New BB Engine Dilema

I've been lurking around here when I've had issues with my 36v in the past. I recently bought a ezgo with a 24hp Honda with engine issues. Got home, pulled it out and looks like one of the Rod bearings went and thew a rod threw the case, left about a 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" hole in the case below the starter.

I was hoping to find a short block or something I could build and re-use when i learned that the GX670 is discontinued and i would need to go with a GX 690. After more research on here (thank you) i see that the GX690 has governor issues that nobody has figured out. How much of an issue is this actually? I am looking to cruise the neighborhood, do some trails in the woods etc.

That led me to looking at CPP and coming up with the 23hp Vanguard option as what I was leaning towards but i was hoping to be able to utilize my existing clutch and exhaust. After chatting with those guys, sounds like the Honda exhaust and the Vanguard may be different (he wasnt sure) but the Vanguard he recommends has a 1" shaft recommended to go with the Comet 780 clutch.

I pulled my clutch off my old blown Honda and sure enough 1 1/8" shaft is what i have and it looks like the stock EZGO clutch must have been machined to fit.

The CPP Vanguard with the comet clutch is going to run about $2k shipped without exhaust. I found a GX690 for about $1500 with the 1 1/8" shaft to run my same clutch and i assume my existing exhaust would fit. Then i came across a 23hp Vanguard with a 1 1/8" shaft to fit my stock clutch for about $1200.

I wanted to say thats a deal and go with the $1200 vanguard, but i am concerned i am wondering if i am going to wish I could get rid of the stock clutch and the 1 1/8" comet clutches are $600 vs $250 for the 1".

I am torn between all of the three options listed above. Give me some feedback and help me make the right decision please!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Golfcart.jpg (222.3 KB, 0 views)
nrochwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-23-2020, 08:34 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: New BB Engine Dilema

My 2 cents based on 7 different engine combos in my cart.

You cannot go wrong with CPP and a 23hp Vanguard. The only downside is cost. I've never owned a Honda 690, but I hear they run really nice. The governor issue is a deal killer for me because I like rpm and power. With a governed engine you'll never realize its full potential.

If I had the money 10 years ago, and if I knew then what I know now, I would have just went straight to the 23hp Vanguard., which is what I have now.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 11:48 PM   #3
BIKERMIKEYBLACK
Gone Wild

Yamaha

What Slonomo said 👆
BIKERMIKEYBLACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 08:05 AM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

The HF 670 is a copy of the early Honda V twin. IF the exhaust system is your main concern it may bolt up. However it uses the straight 1" output shaft that will not solve your clutch issue.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 12:03 PM   #5
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Why don't you just look for a good price on another Honda? The first BB build I did was with one and it performed very well. Back then (yes I'm old) there were no "kits" we "fabbed" what we needed. Look at that custom exhaust header I do believe "over revving" is what kills any of these motors, the parts just were not designed for that. I thought I read that there were some RPM upgrades for the Honda's now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2007_0322Image0002.JPG (73.2 KB, 0 views)
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 01:32 PM   #6
nrochwal
Not Yet Wild

I was looking for a new Honda but the best price I could find was $1520 which all in all is still probably the cheapest route seeing how i can swap everything over. I read the RPM is governed at 3600 is that not an issue on your cart?
Old 04-24-2020, 01:33 PM   #7
nrochwal
Not Yet Wild

Also SmallBlock, what is the clutch you are running on that one?
Old 04-24-2020, 02:06 PM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
The HF 670 is a copy of the early Honda V twin. IF the exhaust system is your main concern it may bolt up. However it uses the straight 1" output shaft that will not solve your clutch issue.
This is a good point Ray. I don't have any experience with the Harbor Freight engines either, which is the only reason I don't promote them. I have used Honda's, Kawasaki, Robin, Briggs, and Vegas Carts.

I see the Predator 670's are getting very popular and aftermarket parts are available now, rev kits etc. At $800 it might be worth a look, vs. $1600 or more for the others.

If you are keeping the engine stock, and it will run at stock rpm, any of the choices will work just fine for you. All are good engines with good power. If you are looking for higher reving and more power, I won't recommend anything I haven't used myself.

Edit: I just re-read your post. Is the clutch on that engine a machined stock EZGO clutch? If so, you'll want to upgrade anyway. Those clutches are designed for a much smaller lower powered engine. The guys at CPP told me that upgrading just the primary clutch can add "seat of the pants" power that feel like adding a big cam. I can attest to this. When I switched to the 780 clutch it was night and day. I've used the 780 ever since on 3 different builds so far, all have performed flawlessly.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 02:37 PM   #9
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Even better there is some kind of deal with the 670 is $669 until the end of may. If I wasn't so into VC 460's I would pick one up for myself.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 02:58 PM   #10
kellett5261
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

i have the HF 670, engine runs like a raped date. lots of torque, i'm still working out the bugs with my shifting issues but that is the cart not the engine.

My engine DOES have a governor, i did use my stihl rpm gauge to do a little zip tie trick to get a tad more rpm out of the engine without worrying if the wife will blow up the cart while im not with her but once i do speed gears ill be cutting the zip tie off.
kellett5261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!