lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-23-2019, 06:55 PM   #1
Ridezx6r01
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Default 1977 de3 Question

I just picked up my 1977 de3 saterday for free, said it was a project, got it on the trailer got it home and opened the “hood” to find no batteries, no resistor, so a little tinkering and I find solenoid A has been replaced with a 6v will it still run even though schematics show it’s supposed to be a 12v? Also does it need the resistor? they have the two cables put together and held with a bit and bolt floating around seems like it would ground out.
Any help would be great
Thanks
Ryan

Last edited by Ridezx6r01; 10-23-2019 at 09:41 PM.. Reason: .
Ridezx6r01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-24-2019, 09:29 PM   #2
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Default Re: 1977 de3 Question

The resistor is only used on speeds 1 and 3.

Speed one uses three batteries out of the six and the resistor is used = lowest speed

Speed two uses just the three batteries out of the six = low speed

Speed three uses all six batteries and the resistor = medium speed

Speed four uses all six batteries = high speed

high speed engages after speed three closes current to a small vacuum tube which heats up and closes completing the circuit and bypassing the resistor.

Without the resistor you get a rough jerky start and sudden jerky high speed only. now low end, no low speed reverse, abrupt hard starts weaken motor brushes.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 02:40 PM   #3
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Even though electric carts don't use chassis grounds, it still isn't good that those two cables are held together by a nut and bolt in mid air. Like Nick said, without the resistor installed, the cart will be very jerky, even jerkier than stock. If you really like the cart and plan on keeping it, consider upgrading to a solid state drive system. I did a poor man's conversion a couple of years ago on mine and love it.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 08:56 PM   #4
Ridezx6r01
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

I’m unsure if I’m hanging on to it or going to flip it. So far I’ve had to install new key switch, one solenoid and installed resistor. Now I have reverse and only have one speed 2nd resistor gets warm but noting on first contact on speed control, but will stay at same speed 2-4 it’s still in jack stands till I figure it out any one run into that?
Ridezx6r01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 02:52 PM   #5
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

These systems are a bit complex with all the solenoids, resistors, etc. Just double and triple check your wiring and ensure that all solenoids are not only clicking, but passing current when they should be. Also, a visual inspection goes a long way. Make sure there are no obvious wires that are cut, frayed, missing, etc.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Harley Davidson