lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-09-2020, 10:05 AM   #31
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Vanguard 23 Carburators

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGuy View Post
Old thread...may have some good info...open and scroll down a bit.

>>>>http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/big-b...gaurds-14.html
Holy crap!!!! I missed your post!! Total good read on this thread. I'm going to post some info about it. Thanks Ron!
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-09-2020, 10:09 AM   #32
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Thank you to TheNewGuy for pointing out this thread, and smallblock450sl for the thread itself! I'm adding some pics from this thread to illustrate what options are available for the Vanguard carbs.

Here is smallblock450sl's full thread on this
https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=21181

As seen in his thread, he adapted two 30mm Mikuni carbs to a 20hp Vanguard, with a custom direct port intake.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:09 AM   #33
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Carbs mounted. What he did was a ton more work than a single due to the throttle cable setup and tuning. He also ran into clearance issues with the battery on the passenger side of the cart. All issues that he overcame, but just saying this was not a bolt in project. He obviously has the knowledge, ability, and experience to tackle it. Very cool!

Still not sure where he got that carb adapter?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smallblock350 adapter 2 carb adapter 6.jpg (67.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg smallblock350 adapter 2 carb adapter 7.jpg (69.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-09-2020, 10:17 AM   #34
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

That I hope. You may the first here to really say for sure what is the proper mikuni on a V twin.
raydhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 10:23 AM   #35
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
That I hope. You may the first here to really say for sure what is the proper mikuni on a V twin.
Well, since the beginning, I've been one to try what hasn't been tried lol. Well, ok, maybe I'm not really that cool, but I'm trying Doing things this way is NOT the "cheap way". I believe in doing things right, making significant improvements, and yes....stealing the knowledge of the one's who have tried before me. Life gets in the way a lot. My health has slowed me down a ton. But....I haven't given up. I'm going to see this through and find the setup that works the best. Thanks Ray!
Old 05-09-2020, 10:27 AM   #36
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got-EZGO? View Post
I am running a yamaha grizzly 660, 42mm carb on my 23 vanny and I have a very smooth transition. Jus' sayin, it is possible.
Post 252
https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthre...=21181&page=26

Wonder how he kept his from flooding?
Old 05-09-2020, 10:49 AM   #37
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
Mine's done. I really like the "quicker" startup, the throttle responce is outstanding It seems (the short time I've got to run it) that I can't get the full rpm (6500) that I had on the original. I've checked the throttle cables and made shure the carb slides were at full closed and full open, they are. Maybe it's just because I "let off" at 49mph......the front wheels started to "wobble" and my @ss started to pucker My recomondations to members: Go with a big single. The manifold and throttle cable/linkage would be much easier. Also, don't go with a "cheap" china Mikuni, Get a carb that can be installed with a rubber manifold (then you can easily adjust the carb for the angle degree that your motor sits at for a level float situation). Would I do it again? Shure! Thanks for asking "NUBS", your help was greatly appreciated, and to all the others that posted Thanks! Ok, your turn Scotty, or anyone else thats doing this upgrade. Finished pic's and hopefully a video, if I can ever get the grand kids to post it. Later Dave
https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthre...=21181&page=29
Post 282

So smallblock450sl likes his dual 30mm Mikuni VM setup, but he recommends going with a big single carb for the sake of simplicity.

Scottyb ended up purchasing the same carb I have, a 42mm Mikuni CV aka BSR42. I did have correspondence with him last year I think?, and he never got around to using it.

Got-EZGO? never posted much after his project, but he ended up using the same BSR42 carb with nitrous. I believe his engine was built up pretty well. I sent him PM last year also, but no response. He has some cool videos of his cart doing some holeshots, pretty impressive!
https://buggiesgonewild.com/search.php?searchid=35553
Old 05-26-2020, 05:37 PM   #38
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Backwater Performance Carb Setup

https://backwaterperformance.com/

So I went ahead and ordered the Mikuni VM34 kit from Backwater Performance. The carb comes pre-jetted for the 23hp Vanguard, according to their website. It's not really a kit, truth be told, it's just the parts separately. The kit they sell is for "mudboats" and has a bunch of parts I didn't need. See their website for parts and prices. Call them with questions and details, they were very nice to deal with. Maybe we can talk them into making a golf cart kit and becoming a sponsor?

Parts Shown:
*Carb VM34 Mikuni
*Black Death adapter/manifold
*Carb boot
*K&N air filter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200525_161252.jpg (325.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200525_161310.jpg (231.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200525_161319.jpg (127.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200525_161321.jpg (184.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200525_161346.jpg (142.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-26-2020, 05:49 PM   #39
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Install was fairly easy, with the exception of three things.

1.) Throttle cable - I had to remove the threaded cable end. It required me to ream out the hole inside to allow the throttle ball end to come through. I used some various picks and a tiny flat screwdriver. Came out without incident or damage. Fit perfectly into the Mikuni carb slide.

2.) Choke cable - this was not even close. I tried to salvage some parts from various other carbs in my possession but to no avail. The choke is stuck open at the moment. The choke comes as a lever type plunger enrichment circuit, pretty standard for Mikuni's. However, it's a different depth than the other carbs I have. I want to convert it to cable operated but it doesn't fit up properly. I ordered a choke cable conversion kit from Summit Racing and picked it up today, since I was working only 15 minutes from Summit today, $8.99. Will get that installed later this week.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mku-mk-412

3. Hold down bolts - This manifold uses 3 mounting bolts into the Vanguard intake manifold. The 3rd bolt hole location is on the crank side, which means I'd have to face the carb toward the crank/clutch. While that's not a problem itself, it does interfere with the throttle setup. So I'm facing mine toward the flywheel side, but that means I don't have that 3rd bolt hole in the intake. So, looks like I'll have to disassemble it and drill and tap that hole. That kinda sucks, it will require removing the engine. So in the pics it's just test fit.

I fired up the engine the way it is, and it idles perfectly at 2000 rpm due to the enrichment being stuck open. Rev is quick and flawless. I do feel a tiny bit of vacuum from the 3rd mounting hole But I'll get that drilled and tapped and eliminated. Because of the idle, I could not drive it.

Overall I think the VM34 is a good carb, very easy to work on and tune. Very simple. I actually think I like it better than the CV carbs just because the throttle is direct link to the cable/pedal.

I did not let it run long enough to see if the right side cylinder still floods.

More to come!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200525_161407.jpg (270.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200525_172613.jpg (271.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200525_172620.jpg (237.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg mikuni choke conversion.jpg (146.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-01-2020, 07:47 PM   #40
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Update:

I could not get this carb to idle below 2000 rpm to set the pilot air screw. The carb came with a #30 pilot jet. I set it at 1.5 turns out with the idle speed screw all the way out. Won't start. I turned it in 1/4 turn at a time and it will start and run really choppy with the air screw all the way in. So, looks like I need a larger pilot jet.

To test the theory I drilled the pilot jet with the smallest bit I had. Boom....fires right up and idles nicely at 1100 rpm, although lots of soot out the tail pipe. I drove it around and it's definitely fat, I can feel it bog down. But, it runs and drives.

The plan is to get the pilot jet right and idling smooth at 1100 rpm. Then I'll tune the needle. Then make sure the main jet is good. I'll install new spark plugs and take hot readings at each stage.

Getting very close!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!