lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-16-2016, 12:09 PM   #1
S Murray
Not Yet Wild

Default 71 Harley Davidson 250 Golf Cart

Hi Guys,
I am new to this site but not new to small engine repairs or equipment. I am an avid IH NOT MTD Cub Cadets and am a collector (mostly rare models, repair, rebuild, restore, etc.)

With that said I was looking to find out if this cart is a gas or electric, and the poster locally states and I quote;

"motor was removed to rebuild top end, crank seals"

This doesn't worry me hey how much different can it be from a Kohler 301 LOL.

But seriously how hard are parts to find for this model and expense rough estimates are fine. Also, I would be in need of a service manual.

Thanks guys and look forward to hearing back form you

Scott
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hd golf cart 1.jpg (13.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg hd golf cart 2.jpg (13.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg hd golf cart 3.jpg (10.9 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by S Murray; 03-16-2016 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: attempting to add photos
S Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-16-2016, 04:46 PM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: 71 Harley Davidson 250 Golf Cart

jUnless I am missing something completely that is one seriously mangled cart. At one point that was a three wheeler and someone made a 4 wheeler out of it. You can see the steering tiller hole in the front - top - middle close to where the current steering wheel it. It also looks they took the front - side body pieces and twisted them backward to make fenders out of them. Harley did make some 4 wheel carts so I suppose that could be one of those and someone modified a three wheeler body to go on it. That said, the steering wheel is too far in the middle so I don't think so. Hopefully, no one is expecting you to pay for that. They should paying you to take it away. That's only worth whatever used parts are going for.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:16 AM   #3
73eldo
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

Ya I too think there is some mixed parts there. I have a HD 4 wheeler and am trying to remember what the suspension looks like, I don't think it looks like that one. Front body parts are for sure wrong, the 4 wheelers didn't have a bump out in the front.

I have never heard anyone say crank seals on an electric cart. IF the body is original its gas, the electrics had a hatch on the body under the passenger seat for the charge plug.

THe HD engines were 2 stroke that ran backwards for reverse. 'battery ignition' using points and coil. starter generator combo. CVT drive that does not really have a netural. 10 years ago I would have said there is no part you can't get but that seems to be changing now. Very few NOS parts left and not much reproduced. Seals, bearings, gaskets, piston, 'jug' (cylinder) are not a problem. Other things can be tricky. If you have time and search most things can be found but its no longer one stop shopping from one vendor.
73eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:54 AM   #4
S Murray
Not Yet Wild

Thumbs up Re: 71 Harley Davidson 250 Golf Cart

TYVM guys,
This is much like the forums I am used to for the cub cadets. I found if you want to know something ask guys who are into them.

I appreciate all your insight and knowledge, I decided I am going to stay away from this project. I will look for another one not so cannibalized.

Thanks again, & All the best,
Scott
S Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:10 PM   #5
backyard
Gone Wild
Columbia

Wow. Looks like a salvaged cart from two salvaged carts. Sure not much to look at. There could be some money to be made in parts though. Sounds like it was running so probably a good engine, clutch, and secondary. If it has brake drums on it there is a guy looking for brake drums on here. So yea you could make some money off of it. I don't think I would give much over $75 for it to make your time worth while.
backyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:51 AM   #6
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

It looks like an auto front end or ? has been grafted to the cart frame. The front end is a little wide and the steering column is some what long but it is an interesting Concept. It could make a fair custom if the engine is in good rebuilding shape. With some parts it probably could be restored to a three wheeler or again ? Parting it out is also a good solution.
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 01:11 PM   #7
73eldo
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

It depends on what they are asking. A good running HD engine and clutch can be worth something these days.
73eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:25 PM   #8
beerman52
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I have a 68 3 wheeler I'm selling. Look in the "Carts for Sale" section.
Pics are posted..
Depending on how close you are???
beerman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:46 PM   #9
johnny reb
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

its different the front has a torsion suspension?? oh as for hd and ih heres mine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sam_2222 (7).jpg (220.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20130515_143858.jpg (370.7 KB, 0 views)
johnny reb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson