lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #1
cmoses
Not Yet Wild

Default G2 fuel pump...went to electric

I have a G2, and have been battling the fuel pump for awhile now. Rebuilt it, replaced it, replaced all hoses, used hard hoses for the impulse, in-tank filter, sealed the air-box, carburetor, all to no avail. When the fuel level got down about 3 inches below the pump..it either didn't work or barely worked.
After checking for the impulse with a home-made water column gauge, I decided that the crankcase wasn't really sealed airtight, but it wasn't leaking oil, so I did not desire to overhaul it for a fuel pump. I got a 2-4.5 psi Facet pump from aircraft spruce for 36 bucks, cart now runs better than it ever has, never goes lean (and therefore runs cooler). The fuel pump is wired so it only comes on when the engine is started, so you don't have to worry about it pumping when your foot isn't on the gas pedal. The pump turns on when fuel pressure is less than 2psi, off when it reaches 4.5 psi. It beats the heck out of those finicky impulse pumps, and is no more expensive than a replacement impulse, although it is more expensive than a rebuild.
cmoses
cmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-12-2013, 01:25 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: G2 fuel pump...went to electric

Thanks for a lead on a not-too-expensive alternative..How noisy is it? I like the auto on/off & pressure regulation. What was this pump is intended for? Could other users buy one?
I must add, the tube from the airbox to valvecover would prevent the crankcase from being airtight (but thats an ok thing, rocker arms & valves are lubed by this). If you did not clean/replace the vacuum check valve in the pulse circuit, that may have been the problem. If there was no check valve, that was almost certainly the problem. I rarely find the pulse fuel pump to be "finnickey" that is not related to the check valve. Some check valves do not respond to cleanup, and need replaced.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
cmoses
Not Yet Wild

CGTech
These pumps are intended for PWC, Snowmobile, Ultralight AC, fixed installations like gen-sets and the like. Anyone can buy one, there are a number of FACET dealers on the web, aircraft spruce just happened to have the best selection and near-best price, and an excellent reputation as vendor. They come in a variety of pressures, and the lower the pressure the harder it is to find the pump. I originally ordered a 1-2 psi model but it was back-ordered forever so I chose the next higher pressure. The thing makes no noise I can hear...but then its only on when the starter/gen is engaged and the fuel pressure falls below 2 psi.
You could well be correct on the check valve, however I did use the patented "suck-blow" test and it operated as a check valve, which honestly further confused me, because the original pump depends on an impulse, meaning it needs both suck and blow, but maybe I missed something. At any rate I got sick and tired of the continuous problems with the impulse system, only time will tell if this system is better. I can tell you without a doubt that the engine runs much better at sustained high speed, and much cooler.
cmoses
cmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
cgtech

Yamaha

Cool man, thanks. I just hate those nasty Napa "rattle pumps".... Only thing those are good for, is emptying a tank before removal, or, might be good on a tractor, where it wont be annoying.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
Tonka329
Smoov az a gravy sammich

Yamaha

I went to the local Ag store and used a Mr. Gasket brand pump for my John Deere. It was $28 and pumps between 1.5-3 psi. I'm sure it would work great for a cart also.
Tonka329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 05:17 PM   #6
ohioguy
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Hi,
I have a G8 and I would like to convert to an electric fuel pump, but I am not sure how to do it. I would love to know how you connected the pump to only run when the engine is started. Also, can you tell me the model number of the pump. I was unable to locate the one with the specs you provided in your post. Any help you can offer would be appreciated. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoses View Post
I have a G2, and have been battling the fuel pump for awhile now. Rebuilt it, replaced it, replaced all hoses, used hard hoses for the impulse, in-tank filter, sealed the air-box, carburetor, all to no avail. When the fuel level got down about 3 inches below the pump..it either didn't work or barely worked.
After checking for the impulse with a home-made water column gauge, I decided that the crankcase wasn't really sealed airtight, but it wasn't leaking oil, so I did not desire to overhaul it for a fuel pump. I got a 2-4.5 psi Facet pump from aircraft spruce for 36 bucks, cart now runs better than it ever has, never goes lean (and therefore runs cooler). The fuel pump is wired so it only comes on when the engine is started, so you don't have to worry about it pumping when your foot isn't on the gas pedal. The pump turns on when fuel pressure is less than 2psi, off when it reaches 4.5 psi. It beats the heck out of those finicky impulse pumps, and is no more expensive than a replacement impulse, although it is more expensive than a rebuild.
cmoses
ohioguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 06:43 PM   #7
cfherrman
Gone Wild

Get any kind of universal pump, tee the input of the carb with a line back in the top of the tank, relay the pedal switch
cfherrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 12:19 PM   #8
ohioguy
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I have a '93 Yamaha G8 cart. There is no line going back to the top of the tank, just the supply line coming out from the bottom.

Can you explain "relay the pedal switch"

I am an amateur at this, so I am not sure how to do the electrical part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfherrman View Post
Get any kind of universal pump, tee the input of the carb with a line back in the top of the tank, relay the pedal switch
ohioguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 01:30 PM   #9
cfherrman
Gone Wild

You will have to make a return line back to the tank somehow, when the float closes the fuel will travel back to the tank.

Take the wires on the solenoid that come from the pedal and also hook them to a relay of some sort, then that will power the fuel pump without putting extra load on the pedal switch wires
cfherrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 04:34 PM   #10
cgtech

Yamaha

Well, you a e going to be right next to the starter generator, you could just hook the pump to A1 & A2 (after you check which is positive, it will come from the solenoid). The starter generator is only powered up when the pedal is down.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha