lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-10-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
Laser
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default post lift kit front end alignment

I put a Jake's 4" lift kit on and spent quite some time getting the front wheels adjusted. I admit I only did the alignment by eye, but things looked pretty straight. Then I ran the cart a few times, and now they are clearly out of alignment again for toe in/out (both are slightly toe out now). Has anyone heard of the front end shifting like this after installation? Every bolt and adjustment is tight so I don't see how things moved like that.
Laser is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-10-2012, 10:14 PM   #2
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

Default Re: post lift kit front end alignment

You are saying you have a CC, which one a DS model or Precedent. You need to adjust your toe at about 1/8" to 1/4", use a tape measure to check.
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:07 AM   #3
lowrider
Getting Wild

Club Car

I have been thinking about this same question. What do you measure? In the old days we used to scribe a line around the circumference in the middle of each front tire and measure the distance between the scribe. Is this what you are referring to? My sterring wheel is not straight when the cart is and I want to get the sterring wheel straight and then adjust the toe straight. I have an allsport 6" lift and I see how to adjust, but not sure when I know when the wheels/toe is straight. What I thought about is getting the misses to hold the wheel straight and hurning the toe linkage equal amounts on each side to bring the wheels back straight, but not sure what to measure to be sure they are equally correct.
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
mkbrower
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

When I adjusted mine, i straighten the steering wheel and ran a string from the center line of the rear wheel through the centerline of the front wheel. If the string touches the front of the tire first, you are toe out on that wheel. If it touches the back of the tire first, you are toe in. I adjust toe so the string is about 1/16 to 1/8 inch toe in when measured from the tire to the string. Do the other side the same way. Adjusting camber will effect toe so if you change the camber, you will have to re-adjust toe. Camber has more effect on toe than toe has on camber. I adjusted my camber by using a level on the wheel. Make sure to only level the wheel with weight on it and ensure level does not touch tire. Also, ensure the level is accurate by checking with something you know to be level.

Mark
mkbrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:11 PM   #5
mkbrower
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Crude drawing but it shows what I mean.

Mark
Old 09-12-2012, 09:22 AM   #6
Kingpaul
Getting Wild

Great (and simple enough for me) explanation! Thanks!
Kingpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:38 AM   #7
lowrider
Getting Wild

Club Car

Makes good sense. Thanks
Old 09-17-2012, 12:01 PM   #8
lowrider
Getting Wild

Club Car

Thanks to all for the front end alignment help. Sterring wheel now pretty much straight and toe in at 1/4 inch. Its funny how straight it drives.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #9
mkbrower
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I have always used this method to align my cars too. My brother had an alignment shop that I used to go back and check cars I had repaired and I was usually with-in factory alignment specs. Caster is the one area that is very hard to set without using specialty tools but can be done. Caster is not usually a problem with golf carts though.

Mark
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car