lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-06-2010, 09:39 AM   #1
BLUE72CAMARO
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default anyone use an electric fuel pump?

Just curious if anybody has found a cheap electric fuel pump to install on there cart?

For those of you who are wondering why would I want to do that. It is because last night I went out and started my cart up and was warming it up in nuetral (temp was around 10 F here) so I could take it out on the lake and play on the ice with it. So I started it and had it running for a minute or two when all the sudden it started to run rough and then died. Quickly realized it died because it was out of fuel so I pressurized the gas tank by sealing it off with my hands and blowing it and the cart starts right back up. then dies once carb goes dry again. So I know its a fuel pump problem and since I hadnt had any issues in warmer weather I wonder if the diaphram in the pump is froze so I worm it up with a heat gun and it works just fine.

Is this common for this external fuel pump to freeze up?

What I am thinking of replacing it with is a small inline fuel pump like my simplicity legacy uses on the kawasaki v-twin! It is about the size of a fuel filter and doesnt have a bypass or return or line like most electric pumps for cars require.
BLUE72CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-06-2010, 10:54 AM   #2
WickedCarts
NOT a Sponsor

Default Re: anyone use an electric fuel pump?

not sure if this cheap but there is a 5psi pump for the vw or sand cars i have used it before on my supercharged cart and a couple others... its about $50.00
WickedCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:51 AM   #3
BLUE72CAMARO
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

So is the fuel pump freezing a common thing for these in cold climates or do I possibly have something else going on here?
Old 01-07-2010, 09:00 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I would'nt know But hear the Northern members talk about a fuel additive that prevewnts freezing available at the parts houses. They use it in theri cars also
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:30 AM   #5
ruredy
Born Wild

hard to say, could be as simple as a split/hole in the hose going to the case which operates the pulse pump or a ruptured diaphragm in the pump. check the hose running to the crankcase, if you have gas in it the diaphragm is bad. could be the pumps froze up with some water in it, it's happened before and i'm sure it'll happen again. take it apart and see. your better off with the stock pump than a electric one but that's more of a safety feature so it stops pumping when the engine stops. carts run fine in freezing temps so it's something wrong, not a design flaw in the pump where it doesn't work in cold weather.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:45 AM   #6
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Ru is right think about all those snowmobiles with that same kind of pump that work well below zero.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:14 AM   #7
RICHIE RICH
Getting Wild

Yamaha

just a note, gas don't freeze unless you have water in it, also gas today don't stay fresh very long,
1) first thing to check, make sure you don't have any vaccum leaks, put a guage in line to see how much pressure you have and find out from the sled dealer to see if your in normal range. if good

2) check fuel pump, put a pressure guage on the line between the pump and carb
if you are in normal range, if not rebuild or replace.

3) remove carb and clean, blow air in all hole, spray with a good carb clean let sit 5 mins then spray again blow air in every hole, after your sure it is cleaned good, spray WD40 in every hole and re-assemble with new rebuild kit,

if your carb has a bowl, remove and clean needle and seat, may just be sticking closed or not open all the way, if your carb is a bowl free carb like a walbro or other, then i say it could have blockage or bad diaphrams somewhere in it..

in todays world of crap gas, the old ways of filling and leaving old gas is bad idea, run anything that sit for more than a month out of gas, (unless you start it and warm it up once a week and keep fresh gas) if going to sit for storage for several month, then you run dry and remove the fuel line and spray some WD40 or similar to in carb line and body, and turn engine over to suck in the WD for 5 or 10 seconds, this will preserve your carb for years to come, also remove plug and spray WD inside the engine walls to prevent rust. also a little stabil in the gas tank(tip: use WD or marvel mystry oil in a small bottle with a nozzel and hook to fuel line and turn over) this 5 min of work will save you a lot of money and tons of headaches not breaking down and having to tow home.
RICHIE RICH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:22 AM   #8
RICHIE RICH
Getting Wild

Yamaha

just an after thought, if you don't have a pressure guage, remove the fuel line that goes to the carb from the fuel pump, put another fuel line on it and put other end in a clear container and turn over engine for 10 seconds and see if it pumping fuel, if it does then install line and remove the return line from tank and crank again, if the fuel is making it back to the tank, the crap gas today will crystallize fast and can block hoses, pumps and carbs quicker than you can think
RICHIE RICH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:13 AM   #9
BLUE72CAMARO
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruredy View Post
hard to say, could be as simple as a split/hole in the hose going to the case which operates the pulse pump or a ruptured diaphragm in the pump. check the hose running to the crankcase, if you have gas in it the diaphragm is bad. could be the pumps froze up with some water in it, it's happened before and i'm sure it'll happen again. take it apart and see. your better off with the stock pump than a electric one but that's more of a safety feature so it stops pumping when the engine stops. carts run fine in freezing temps so it's something wrong, not a design flaw in the pump where it doesn't work in cold weather.

Alright well i will have to take a look at the vacuum hose and fuel lines and see what is going on then and if the pump is bad I will either fix this one or get a new one of the same style, no need to add an electric pump if these are the same as what snow mobiles use!

As for Richie Rich's comments I dont remember seeing any return lines to the tank on the cart but I will take a look at it. And the gas is only a month or so old and I ran the cart quite a bit last week in a little warmer conditions and everything was fine.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:37 PM   #10
Subarumouse
Gone Wild

Hello Blue,

I don't know if you have the same pump as on my racecart, but it wil be the same principle.
On mine, a round mikuni, is at the vacuumintake a litle hole.
This hole makes it possible to the membrane to pulse.
It's a kind of ventilationopening.
Look if it's closed.
When closed, it prevents the pump to get enough gas to the carb.
Also check if the lines close up to their fittings, or are not flexible enough to close up.

Benno
Subarumouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO