lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-28-2016, 08:55 AM   #21
Allshow
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1995 Par Car 2 stroke spark issue

4.9 and 10.6 on the cart coil. I would think that the coil isn't the problem right? Not sure why I would fry the module that quickly.
Allshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-28-2016, 09:20 AM   #22
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Something may be amiss there, Allshow. No coils have that high of resistance. If it was that high you would get no spark at all.

Here is some info to help explain things:

Those modules aren't moving parts so there is nothing to wear out. Only one thing kills them and that is heat caused by too much current.

I had the exact same issue as you on two different carts. The highest internally resisted coil I could find anywhere is one with 3 ohms of resistance. I installed one of these 3 ohm resistor coils and my module still burned out. I then learned that Columbia calls for somewhere in the neighborhood 4 ohms resistance. I didn't want to take any chances so I did some trial and error. I kept with the 3 ohm coil and I bought some 2 ohm ballast resistors to install also. I installed two of the external resistors so that I had a total of 7 ohms resistance (3 in the coil and 2 in each ballast resistor). This was too much resistance though and I had no spark at all. I took off one of the external resistors so that now I have 5 ohms resistance total. My spark returned and things have been fine since (knocking on wood).

Now, grounding has a lot to do with things too. If your grounds aren't good then that can generate excess heat too. I put dielectric grease on the back of those modules when I install them just to make sure contact between the module and the engine is good. Remember, those modules ground through the engine itself. If that isn't good then the extra energy will dissipate though the module.

I think in my case, I rebuilt the starter / gens on my carts and they put out a lot of amps so I need a bit more resistance than spec calls for.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:48 PM   #23
backyard
Gone Wild
Columbia

The internal resisted coil I bought was 3.5 ohms. Most of those types of coils are for old foreign cars. Most times when someone buys a coil they get the low resistance type of coil, somewhere in the neighbor hood of 1 ohm or lower. 5 ohms did not sound right to me right off the bat. Take the coil off the cart and see if you can find any information on it and post it, name, part#, external resistor required? or anything.
backyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:05 PM   #24
Allshow
Not Yet Wild

I just bought a new coil and voltage regulator. It looks super old so id rather replace it. Hopefully that will fix my issue.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:26 PM   #25
backyard
Gone Wild
Columbia

What coil did you buy?
Old 06-28-2016, 09:30 PM   #26
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Voltage regulator is on the charging circuit and not the ignition circuit so that won't have anything to do with the module burning up.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:47 PM   #27
Allshow
Not Yet Wild

I bought the correct coil for the cart with the internal resistor. It ran great tonight. Hopefully it will last now this weekend.
Old 07-01-2016, 06:30 PM   #28
backyard
Gone Wild
Columbia

Is that all you bought and it fixed the cart?

That would explain your crazy resistance readings. What does the new coil read?
Old 07-14-2016, 09:02 PM   #29
Allshow
Not Yet Wild

I replaced that and the voltage regulator and it's been good for 2 weeks now. I didn't check the new coil though.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:38 AM   #30
gdoginc
Not Yet Wild

I had the same issue with spark. after a year of checking everything, a new electronic ignition, which only worked half of the time, I finally converted mine back to the old points and condenser system. It was really easy and it runs beautiful now. I purchased the conversion kit from vintage golf carts for $50, less than a third of the electronic ignition.
gdoginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar