lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-26-2008, 08:11 PM   #1
THEPISTONHEAD
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Speed and Torque question

So I have read a few post about people getting their carts re-programed from the C.C. dealer. How much does this cost and what is the expected outcome.

I have an 04 CC DS 48 volt and with my lift and wheels and tires I obviously lost some torque. I need more torque for simple tasks like driving it up the trailer ramp without a 100 yd head start...Lol.

What are some other options that are worth the money that actually increase torque noticably.

Thanks as always!!!!
THEPISTONHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-26-2008, 08:18 PM   #2
BRS
Master BS'r

Club Car

Default Re: Speed and Torque question

Bigger controller will add about 20% more torque...if not more to a stock motor. Get at least a 500amp., my opinion only and upgrade cables, solenoid, f/r, etc. It will make a difference!
BRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:29 PM   #3
THEPISTONHEAD
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have 2 guage wire that I still need to finish installing. I dont have them for the f/r switch though and need to verify the rest. Will this make that much of a difference not having those above mentioned?

I was reading where many people have upgraded to 400amp, so is 550 safe for a stock motor. I am completely happy with current speed.....just very depresed about torue.

Thanks for the help......seriously!
Old 12-26-2008, 09:06 PM   #4
roady89
nimda
Club Car

2 guage cable IMO is a waist. The biggest deal killer for me is you cannot find the correct lug. The hole size for a 2 guage cable fits too loosly on the terminals. The right size is 5/16....any bigger and things will get loose. You may say "Well, I can use washers"...thats all fine and dandy, but keep in mind every peice you put on will be a point of failure AND corrosion.

Don't get me wrong, if done right they are great and 2 gauge has it's place amongst high output/high voltage applications. Most people get a lug and whack it with a hammer and call it good.....couple months late they are re-doing it. (I know because I have done the same.)
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:30 PM   #5
THEPISTONHEAD
Gone Wild

Club Car

I bought a really nice set.....not a home job. I bought 2 guage because everyone recommended it. Cant win.....everyone has different experiences I guess. I will remain nuetral until I finish installing them then I will either be pissed or happy. But I do hear what your saying....just hope thats not the case with my set. Time will tell....Lol!
Old 12-27-2008, 09:25 AM   #6
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

As far as controller goes you could put a 1000a controller on stock motor if you wanted to. Motor will only use what it can use. Controller does not force amps into motor. It will only supply what motor will handle. This is my limited knowledge. I don't think a stock motor will pull more than 400a, but if buying controller its better to plan ahead in case you want to do further upgrades.
buckmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:50 PM   #7
Jim C
Gone Wild

Club Car

Roady, you can get #2 terminals with a 5/16" hole, I just bought some from Ace hdwr they are made by Forney.
I had some extra #2 collecting dust so I just made all new cables for mine.
Jim C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:38 AM   #8
rucster
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Question Re: Speed and Torque question

Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post
2 guage cable IMO is a waist. The biggest deal killer for me is you cannot find the correct lug. The hole size for a 2 guage cable fits too loosly on the terminals. The right size is 5/16....any bigger and things will get loose. You may say "Well, I can use washers"...thats all fine and dandy, but keep in mind every peice you put on will be a point of failure AND corrosion.

Don't get me wrong, if done right they are great and 2 gauge has it's place amongst high output/high voltage applications. Most people get a lug and whack it with a hammer and call it good.....couple months late they are re-doing it. (I know because I have done the same.)
you can also get them here:
http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/29883-...or-marine.html

Less resistance with 2 ga over 4 or 6ga...period. There are also a mis-belief on the number a strands the wire should have. While it is true that electricity travels on the outside of the strand of wire (so more strands = more flow which = less resistance), that "skin effect" is only at higher AC frequencies. The main reason one may choose for more strands (welding cable) should be its flexability.

just my .02
rucster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:23 AM   #9
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

well said "rucster" , every little bit helps !
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car