lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-01-2011, 10:28 PM   #1
Rodger
Not Yet Wild

Question Need Help with Higher Speed Gears for 2011 RXV

Hi guys....New member to the forum. I've been searching for info on higher speed gears for a 2011 RXV I want to buy.

I'm an old gearhead....been luck enough to own and work on cars (drag raced), bikes, boats, even airplanes, in my past, and this golf cart will be transportation around our retirement village. I'm trying to understand as much as I can about it before pulling the trigger.

The specs show it comes with a 11.42:1 gearset, and the dealer offered to install (for a price) a 10.5:1 gearset. I drove demo carts with both gears and the 10.5:1 is somewhat faster and quieter. I asked the dealer's mechanic about the 6:1 and 8:1 ratios I've seen advertised on websites, and he said there is a problem with these ratios damaging the governor gear.

Anyone have any experience changing gearsets in this particular transaxle? (I think it's a Dana?) Was I told correctly? What will and won't work?

ANY and ALL info will be much appreciated!
Rodger
Rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-02-2011, 12:26 PM   #2
rmarcusy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Need Help with Higher Speed Gears for 2011 RXV

the easyest/cheepest way to "gear up" is to put on bigger tires..If you are lucky , you may be able to "borrow" bigger tires and do the try and error testing to get the results you want quickly. Take a soft tape mesure and see how far around the tires are,,, I found that every inch further will make you go a half MPH faster
rmarcusy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:20 PM   #3
dougmcp
Gone Wild

I'm not sure where your specs came from but the numbers I have are different.
The same 3 phase AC 4.4hp motor and 235a controller are used in both the RXV and the Street Legal 2Five.
The stock gear for an RXV is 16.99:1 to run a max speed of 19mph.
The gear they use in the 2Five LSV is 14.76:1 to run 25mph.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:52 PM   #4
Rodger
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the replies.

The carts I'm looking at have optional 215/50-12 tires, which are about 2.5" taller than the factory 18x8.50-8 tires. I understand these are about as tall as I can go without raising the suspension?

I guess I should have stated this is a gas cart with the FS400 engine, not electric (that's why I posted in this Gas EZGO forum). EZ-GO website shows the forward gearing is 11.42:1. Is this right?

Still looking for help understanding the transaxle and if the governor issue is real.

Also, is there an on-line site with the service or exploded view parts manual for the transaxle?
Old 12-02-2011, 04:25 PM   #5
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger View Post
I guess I should have stated this is a gas cart with the FS400 engine, not electric (that's why I posted in this Gas EZGO forum). EZ-GO website shows the forward gearing is 11.42:1. Is this right?
Yes it's right and I'm guilty of not reading. Sorry to mess with your head.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:15 PM   #6
Legendary Golf Carts
Gone Wild

I don't know if there are 8:1 or 6:1 gears for and RXV. Remember, whatever you gain in speed, you lose in torque.
Legendary Golf Carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:45 PM   #7
Rodger
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendary Golf Carts View Post
I don't know if there are 8:1 or 6:1 gears for and RXV. Remember, whatever you gain in speed, you lose in torque.
I don't know what gears are available either. Maybe the 10.5 the dealer offered is the highest available for this particular transaxle?

I've been searching the internet and haven't found anything specific to my questions.

I agree with the speed/torque realtionship. Where we live is relatively flat, and I think the 13HP Kawasaki engine should handle the torque needed.

Are you an EZ-Go dealer or service shop?
Old 12-03-2011, 07:57 PM   #8
Legendary Golf Carts
Gone Wild

I'm not a dealer but I do service carts. I work on carts more as a hobby that pays for itself rather than as a career. I haven't seen any gears for an RXV, but I believe that it may have the same rear end as the 401 TXT. That being said, I haven't seen any gears for a 401 TXT, either. My guess is because it was a recent model, the manufactures haven't bothered on upgrades for them because of the low demand. I beleive your dealer has the lowest gears you'll find until these carts become a commonplace. Also, you do know you can raise the speed by adjusting the governor, correct? They can get about 30 safely with an opened up governor.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:26 PM   #9
Rodger
Not Yet Wild

Nothing wrong with having a hobby that pays for itself....All of mine have cost me money!

You may be right about the newer model issue.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:37 PM   #10
Legendary Golf Carts
Gone Wild

It's quite nice, I get a different cart frequently and make money. So did you ask the dealer about adjusting the governor? This will make it much faster than the high speed gears (although high speed gears + governor = faster) and you wont be dropping ~$250? on gears. Just my opinion, I would keep the stock gears and just open up the governor so you can get to 30 and wait until the aftermarket has some 8:1 gears to offer. I think 6:1 is to much because you will have half the horsepower of stock.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO