lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-28-2018, 07:42 PM   #1
Shieldzee
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default VC625 wiring help

As you guys know, the VC kit comes with a nice 5 wire key switch, and I have the wiring diagram for that. I'm guessing we have to make our own wiring harness from the motor to the key switch, but my question is, are you guys just cutting off the factory connectors or is there a place to source the connectors that mate up to the factory connectors?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg engine wiring.jpg (121.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg switch.jpg (108.7 KB, 0 views)
Shieldzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-28-2018, 09:51 PM   #2
saddlertime
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: VC625 wiring help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shieldzee View Post
As you guys know, the VC kit comes with a nice 5 wire key switch, and I have the wiring diagram for that. I'm guessing we have to make our own wiring harness from the motor to the key switch, but my question is, are you guys just cutting off the factory connectors or is there a place to source the connectors that mate up to the factory connectors?
I used a small connector to press the pins out of the main engine connector. Then spliced my own connectors on. The smaller connector on the engine, I happened to be able to use an unused connector from the old harness to mate to that one.

However, you could buy that connector, I as just too impatient. I believe it's just a Molex connector. Digikey or Mouser would be where I'd look. I think it's a pretty standard connector.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
saddlertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:54 PM   #3
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Try this https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Pin-Conne...9SGtK~&vxp=mtr
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:52 AM   #4
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I cut them off, after labeling them since they are all black. And used my preferred individual connectors. I don't go to the trouble of shrink tubing and sealed connectors unless they are in a corrosion prone area. I prefer to route electric wires away from corrosion heavy areas. Multi-wire connectors are restrictive to use from my perspective. Unless you are working under the dash or hood of a modern car.

For Christmas my lovely wife bought me a bulk pack of 100' rolls of 14ga wire in six colors. Every wire and battery cable on the cart was replaced and color coded. And the Marathon seating trailer will be matched to it.

Where two or more wires connect to a single feed wire I made drop out pigtails. As long as the connectors are shielded they won't short to ground. Moisture WILL get in no matter what you do so I don't tape them, just use split loom. That lets the moisture back out reducing corrosion. Tape gets used as an anchor only where a clamp or zip tie won't work. Colored tape is used to label on occasion. Like when I can't find the right length red battery cable and I use black.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:14 PM   #5
saddlertime
Not Yet Wild

Just to add my $0.02, I personally don't like the split loom stuff for anywhere that will be exposed to dust grime and water. It has a tendency to fill with dust, and then any moisture will make it a wet mess that doesn't dry out easily. Any connections inside are now subjected to a high moisture environment long term.

Now I went a little overboard, but I laced the cable with nylon twine. If I wasn't so CDO (it's like OCD, but in alphabetical order) I would just use a ton of zip ties and leave the wiring open. The split loom is good for small spots where it'll be visually exposed for aesthetic purposes but in my opinion, isn't the best choice for a harness.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg G11A Wiring Harness Lacing.jpg (110.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-01-2018, 12:19 PM   #6
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Good point about split loom. I haven't had much issue with that but it could happen. In those cases the spiral loom might be a viable option to resist abrasion and keep things tight.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:22 PM   #7
saddlertime
Not Yet Wild

Yeah I grew up on a farm, so I tend to think worst case on things. A little spot here and there of split loom for abrasion resistance is perfect. I would like to find a local source for that woven braided stuff (like factory automotive harnesses) to use some of those spots. I just don't want to order a whole roll of it online because as it turns out I don't make too many wiring harnesses.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:15 PM   #8
Shieldzee
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlertime View Post
Just to add my $0.02, I personally don't like the split loom stuff for anywhere that will be exposed to dust grime and water. It has a tendency to fill with dust, and then any moisture will make it a wet mess that doesn't dry out easily. Any connections inside are now subjected to a high moisture environment long term.

Now I went a little overboard, but I laced the cable with nylon twine. If I wasn't so CDO (it's like OCD, but in alphabetical order) I would just use a ton of zip ties and leave the wiring open. The split loom is good for small spots where it'll be visually exposed for aesthetic purposes but in my opinion, isn't the best choice for a harness.
Wow! That's a very nice job lacing those wires. That's how I lace all the cabling at work, but I use a waxed string. It's mandatory at our company, no cable ties allow in our offices, only outside plant can use cable ties.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:06 PM   #9
saddlertime
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shieldzee View Post
Wow! That's a very nice job lacing those wires. That's how I lace all the cabling at work, but I use a waxed string. It's mandatory at our company, no cable ties allow in our offices, only outside plant can use cable ties.
Thank you. I'd be willing to bet that you could have done it at least 10x faster than me. I think it looks awfully nice. My grandpa was a radio station engineer, and I saw some of the stuff he had done this way around the farm, so when I went to make this harness, I figured I'd give it a try. I spent a lot of time fighting to keep the wires from tangling and keeping them straight in the beginning, but once I got halfway, I used some temporary zip ties to bundle everything roughly right, and that made a HUGE difference.

Do you think the nylon twine will hold up fine? I would assume that the wax is to keep moisture out, and help hold the knots, but I wasn't going to spend the time waxing this cord, and I didn't want to wait on actual lacing tape... hey what can I say I'm somewhat impatient.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:35 PM   #10
Shieldzee
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlertime View Post
Thank you. I'd be willing to bet that you could have done it at least 10x faster than me. I think it looks awfully nice. My grandpa was a radio station engineer, and I saw some of the stuff he had done this way around the farm, so when I went to make this harness, I figured I'd give it a try. I spent a lot of time fighting to keep the wires from tangling and keeping them straight in the beginning, but once I got halfway, I used some temporary zip ties to bundle everything roughly right, and that made a HUGE difference.

Do you think the nylon twine will hold up fine? I would assume that the wax is to keep moisture out, and help hold the knots, but I wasn't going to spend the time waxing this cord, and I didn't want to wait on actual lacing tape... hey what can I say I'm somewhat impatient.
The reason we use waxed string is because it doesn't slip when wrapping the wires. The wax kind of sticks to the wires pulling everything tight and it does hold a knot better. We don't have to worry about moisture, our office are all temperature and humidity controlled. I'm sure the job you did will last a very long time.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!