lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #1
Fishwater
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Swapped out two weak/defective batteries

I just bought a new to me 1997 CC 48v to replace my 36v DS, the cart felt sluggish so I kept driving the cart a short distance for a shallow discharge & then recharging it. Two batteries would always read a little lower than the rest, they looked a little different as well, possibly older. The pack still showed 50.9 after 12 hours but lost another volt in the next 12 hours. Today I decided to remove them & inspect, sure enough they were from 7/2009 while the rest of the pack was from 6/2011. The previous owner told me the batteries were a year old when I bought it. The rest of the pack would show a full charge with perfect hydrometer readings while these two would rest between 75-85%
Fortunately they were Napa batteries & I used to work for Napa so I went to one of my old stores to see what they could do. They took great care of me & gave me two brand new batteries so I swapped the new batteries into the pack. Took the cart for a spin after charging it & it feels like a new cart, much more responsive & pulled the same hill on my road at 10 mph vs 7 mph with the other two batteries. I know I shouldn't add two new batteries into an older pack but I figured since the other ones are charging 100% I'm not going to replace them. The new & old batteries are within .05 volts of each other after the first road test & charge, I think I'm going to be ok
Fishwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #2
speedgolfer
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Swapped out two weak/defective batteries

do you take the cables off to see if you have a battery bad
speedgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #3
monepit
Getting Wild
Club Car

I've heard that too.. But I did the same thing last year and it worked great. Like a new cart. It does work.
monepit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:01 PM   #4
Fishwater
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

No, I used my voltmeter directly on the terminal of each battery & a hydrometer.
Fishwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #5
jceffing
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Is it okay to mix a different amp hour battery with 5 old ones until I could replace them all next year?
jceffing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1997 cc
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car