lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Bike & ATV Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-14-2013, 07:34 AM   #1
FST Performance
Not Yet Wild

Default High School Project:Kawasaki Powered Yamaha

Background: I work for a shop that works on motorcycles and also attend a technical high school taking a machining class. Last year I built a motorcycle and this year I wanted to do another project, and this is it. The plan for this project is for it to be completely student designed and built, with minimal teacher help.
One of the problems with doing this project in class is we only have 90 minutes to work everyday, so it will take a while to get stuff done.

Direction: it's a 1997 Yamaha G19 that we are going to put a Kawasaki KLR 650 engine in.
I'll get some pics this afternoon of it in its current state.

Colin
FST Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
bigkid
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: High School Project:Kawasaki Powered Yamaha

When I was in high school I was able to take two classes back to back. But that was a very long time ago.
bigkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:23 PM   #3
EZGO 89 RED
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Making plans at home, then using them in school will make much better use of your time.

-Sent from my Galaxy S3
EZGO 89 RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:44 PM   #4
FST Performance
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZGO 89 RED View Post
Making plans at home, then using them in school will make much better use of your time.

-Sent from my Galaxy S3
That's what we're doing. I know how it's all gonna go, and get it drawn up at night so when 1:30 comes around I can get on the mill or CNC and make whatever we need to.

Colin
Old 03-14-2013, 10:46 PM   #5
FST Performance
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkid View Post
When I was in high school I was able to take two classes back to back. But that was a very long time ago.
That's pretty much what I'm doing. Taking a 90 minute class instead of two 50 minute ones. I'd love to take it twice a day, but you have to have English and history

Colin
Old 03-15-2013, 01:17 AM   #6
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Good luck to you on your build and in your classes.

I've been playing with machining after picking up my first lathe a couple years ago. Then I picked up a sherline mill and quickly learned that it worked well, but was too small to do any of the things I wanted to do with it. So I drove up to Grizzly Tools in Springfield MO. and picked up a bigger bench top mill. I then added a DRO.

So now if I need something made, I can do it myself, even if it takes me a little with my learning curve.

I'm enjoying it and am sure you are as well.
smokindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:32 AM   #7
EZGO 89 RED
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FST Performance View Post
That's pretty much what I'm doing. Taking a 90 minute class instead of two 50 minute ones. I'd love to take it twice a day, but you have to have English and history

Colin
I never did get why they made History and English required classes for 11th and 12th grade, instead of Math and Science. I exhausted my schools list of tech classes, and even took some of the metals classes again because I had no interest in any of the other classes.

You're lucky to have a CNC machine in your shop. That will make your build go a lot smoother.

-Sent from my Galaxy S3
Old 03-15-2013, 12:11 PM   #8
FST Performance
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokindawg View Post
Good luck to you on your build and in your classes.

I've been playing with machining after picking up my first lathe a couple years ago. Then I picked up a sherline mill and quickly learned that it worked well, but was too small to do any of the things I wanted to do with it. So I drove up to Grizzly Tools in Springfield MO. and picked up a bigger bench top mill. I then added a DRO.

So now if I need something made, I can do it myself, even if it takes me a little with my learning curve.

I'm enjoying it and am sure you are as well.
Being in the machine shop is pretty awesome. I love being able to take a big block of aluminum and being able to make anything with it.

Colun
Old 03-15-2013, 12:15 PM   #9
FST Performance
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZGO 89 RED View Post
I never did get why they made History and English required classes for 11th and 12th grade, instead of Math and Science. I exhausted my schools list of tech classes, and even took some of the metals classes again because I had no interest in any of the other classes.

You're lucky to have a CNC machine in your shop. That will make your build go a lot smoother.

-Sent from my Galaxy S3
I don't get it either I'm actually going to use the tech class more than Native American history. This is my second year taking machining an am planning on welding for my senior year.
Having the CNC VMC is a great advance for parts for motorcycles and golf carts. We just got a new Haas CNC lathe but we haven't figured it out yet.

Colun
Old 03-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #10
EZGO 89 RED
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Nice

-Sent from my Galaxy S3
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Bike & ATV Engine Swaps