lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-22-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
geezer047
Not Yet Wild

Default Lester charger

Well, my charger started having low output. Trans humed and relay kicked in. Traced it to the capacitor. Now which one do I need? Lester model # 09695. Hard to believe this thing was still working, really been abused. Left out in the rain etc. Everything was pretty rusty and needed a real cleaning. Now I didn't do it, prior owner
Hey thanks
Charlie
geezer047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-22-2011, 12:39 PM   #2
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Lester charger

According to this site, http://www.evparts.com/products/golf...art/cp1920.htm, it's a 6 mfd. I'd do a little searching, you may find a better price!
Check out the " Site Sponsors " at the top of the page. :)
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:38 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Welcome to BWG.

Here are Owner's manual and Schematic/Parts list for a 48V Lestronic II.

Lester sells the Part Number 02390S Capacitor for $35.00, but you might be able to find a 6mfd 660VAC motor start capacitor at you local HVAC or electrical supply house for much less.

Also, to check the Transformer and Capacitor, you need to disconnect the transformer leads to the diodes and measure AC voltage across them.
With good Capacitor installed, you'll get approximately 120VAC (roughly 2.5 times charger's named output voltage)
With Capacitor disconnected, you'll get about approximately 80VAC (roughly 2/3 of voltage with good capacitor installed)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:03 PM   #4
geezer047
Not Yet Wild

Hey, Thanks guys. I'll do some more testing and see what I can find. Horefully its the cap. seemed to be rusted so bad that it was seaping oil.
Charlie
Old 12-23-2011, 05:03 PM   #5
geezer047
Not Yet Wild

Well, today I cleaned everything up, including the old cap. and put it back together. Charger came on, jump to 20 amps then settled back to 5 amps. After a little time I heard the batteries gassing and checked the volts, a little over 60 volts. They were at around 50 volts when I hooked it up. So it seems like its overcharging now. Is the capacitor sort of a voltage regulator also? Anyway, what's my next step?
Thanks
Charlie
Old 12-24-2011, 06:50 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer047 View Post
1. Well, today I cleaned everything up, including the old cap. and put it back together. Charger came on, jump to 20 amps then settled back to 5 amps.
2. After a little time I heard the batteries gassing and checked the volts, a little over 60 volts.
3. They were at around 50 volts when I hooked it up. So it seems like its overcharging now.
4. Is the capacitor sort of a voltage regulator also?
5. Anyway, what's my next step?
Thanks
Charlie
1. Great!!!! That's the way the Ammeter ought to behave. If the capacitor is leaking, I'd still replace it. Also, I'd be careful with the oil coming out of it, the was some nasty stuff used in insulating oils a few year back.

2. That sounds about right. You need about 2.5V per cell to get gassing.

3. Fully charged is when the Specific Gravity of the electrolyte does not rise for three consecutive measurements taken at one hour intervals. Overcharging is continuing to force current through a cell after the SG of the electrolyte stops rising. The nominal "On-Charge" cell voltage can be as high as 2.79V when full charge is approached, or 66.96V for a 48V battery Pack, so your batteries probably aren't fully charged yet.

4. The transformer and capacitor are a matched pair that forms what is called a ferroresonant transformer circuit.
The transformer and capacitor pairs are different values for different battery pack voltages (36V and 48V being the common ones), but they all limit the current in the bulk charge phase to about 25A or so. Once the battery pack voltage begins to approach 2.35V per cell, the charge current begins to taper off to about 2A-8A and stays there as the pack voltage continues to rise towards full charge levels.

5. At 60V your battery pack voltage probably isn't high enough to shut off the charger automatically. My guess is that a 48V charger will need to sense about 61.2V to shut-off, just like a 36V charger needs to see something in the 44V-46V range.

Here is what I'd do:
Check to be sure there was a 3-5 second delay between plugging charger into cart and charger coming on.
If there isn't a delay, the charger won't turn off when it is supposed to, so that's a problem needs to be fixed.
If the delay occurs, I'd put the battery pack on charge until the charger automatically shuts off.
I'd monitor electrolyte levels and not let any plates get exposed.
I'd monitor Battery temperatures and terminate charge of any battery got above 120F.
I'd monitor the battery pack voltages and terminate charge if total Voltage climbed above 67V or any individual battery got above 8.4V (These are "On-Charge" voltages)

Here is the charge profile recommended by Trojan. The ferroresonant transformer design of your charger closely matches that profile.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:06 AM   #7
geezer047
Not Yet Wild

Thumbs up Re: Lester charger

JohnnieB, you're the man The delay is working so I'll just charge the pack for a while and check everything. Hey, thanks a lot
Charlie
Old 12-24-2011, 12:26 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer047 View Post
..............The delay is working so I'll just charge the pack for a while and check everything...........
Us old geezers got to stick together.

Merry Christmas.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO