lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-10-2019, 08:52 PM   #11
tjmud2
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Cart cutting out pass 1/4 throttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
How long does it drive before it cuts out? When it cuts out will it instantly start back up again or do you have to wait a bit?
It cuts out immediately if giving it more than 1/8 to 1/4 throttle. Video link is posted so you can hear it. It will instantly start back up, no issues there.
tjmud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-10-2019, 09:11 PM   #12
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Sounds like its breaking up, not necessarily cutting out.

When these motors hit the rev limiter it will rev up good, die completely for a second and pick back up, rev great and die for a second... lather rinse and repeat.

That's breaking up, not really cutting out. Does it help it any if you choke it? Or does choke make it worse?

I'd definitely get a good spark plug in there as well, gapped at .028" and see if that makes a difference. I dont like or trust champion plugs, too many bad experiences with them.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:00 PM   #13
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmud2 View Post
Pic 6: Rev Limiter - I posted questions in the pics.
Attachment 189274
That’s a wire tie. Just a metal hanger basically that is supposed to be wrapped around the wires to keep them in place. It’s insulated to keep it from cutting/ grounding out the wires.
Pic 7: Fuel Filter - Posted Question in Pic.
Attachment 189275
Should probably have more than that, but where is that filter located? It might be backwards. Fuel flow should go IN the cone side.
Pic 8: Plug Picture
Attachment 189276
Is that a Champion plug? That one looks pretty well fouled. The Kawasaki engines typically use an NGK BPR5ES.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:13 AM   #14
tjmud2
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Sounds like its breaking up, not necessarily cutting out.

When these motors hit the rev limiter it will rev up good, die completely for a second and pick back up, rev great and die for a second... lather rinse and repeat.

That's breaking up, not really cutting out. Does it help it any if you choke it? Or does choke make it worse?

I'd definitely get a good spark plug in there as well, gapped at .028" and see if that makes a difference. I dont like or trust champion plugs, too many bad experiences with them.
  • Choke will kill it out. Yes, breaking up probably is more accurate than cutting out. I'll put in new correct plug tonight.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:12 PM   #15
tjmud2
Not Yet Wild

I replaced the spark plug with correct NGK plug. Issue is still the same. Thoughts on where to go next?
Old 07-11-2019, 04:53 PM   #16
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

I would have to think that’s the ignition coil failing. You’ve covered pretty much everything else.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:02 PM   #17
tjmud2
Not Yet Wild

I'll start tearing into that this weekend. Is there a way to have the coil tested before I buy a new one?

Best place to get replacement parts?

Could it be just out of adjustment or possibly corrosion on magnet, worth a try?
Old 07-12-2019, 07:56 AM   #18
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

adjustment or corrosion is unlikely. They don't "wear" so there should never be an adjustment needed. And they don't really get affected by corrosion. When I rebuilt my Carryall there was so much rust between the flywheel and the coil I thought they were connected. The entire thing was furry so I cleaned both really well with a wire brush and gave it a shot. Didn't make a bit of difference. New coil and I haven't had a problem since.

Make 100% sure you get an OEM coil. It will come in a Kawasaki box with a Kawasaki part number on it. If it comes in a white box, it's not OEM. If you have a club car dealer near you, it wouldn't hurt to give them a shot. It's always good to have a relationship with the local dealer, sometimes they can help you more than you expect! If there isn't a local dealer to you, call david hicks at www.revolutiongolfcars.com and order one from him. He's a site sponsor and not going to sell you a junk aftermarket coil.

This is a job you're only going to want to do once, it's best to get an OEM coil and only do it once. The coil is underneath the fan shroud, which is held on by 5 or 6 10mm bolts. For the most part not a big deal, but the bottom 2 bolts, unless someone has been in there before and left them out you'll either have to be "creative" or remove the mounting bolts to the motor to tilt it up enough to get those 2 lower bolts out.

If the coil is bad or not, if i were going to go through the work to check it and check the air gap, the only way I'd be doing that is if I am checking the air gap on the new coil as I am installing it.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:20 AM   #19
tjmud2
Not Yet Wild

I ended up taking into my local golf cart repair shop, very reputable. Ended up being Rev Limiter, Wiring, and Coil were all bad. Decided to let them go ahead and do the work as I plan on selling the cart and want it to be right for next owner. I don't have cart back yet but this was the diagnosis. All OEM parts, plus labor almost $600 estimate.

With that said does that sound about right price wise. And how much do you think I can sell this golf cart for? 2006 Club Car Precedent, Gas, decent shape.

Was hoping $2500 or so, is that realistic?
Old 07-22-2019, 10:44 AM   #20
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Do you have any pictures? Whereabouts are you located?

Around here, a gas precedent in good shape goes for $2500-3k stock. With lift, tires, back seat, etc price goes up from there. I'd think you could probably get a good bit more than 2500 for it, especially having been just serviced at the dealer

$600 is probably a fair estimate. Coil is $130ish. Rev limiter is about the same. You've probably got around $300 in parts. I've never worked on a precedent but if it's anything like the carryall or DS, you pretty much have to remove the motor from the cart to gain access to the coil. Some people claim its doable without removing the engine, but IMO it would be more hassle than it's worth.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car