lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-13-2021, 10:11 PM   #1
TomberlinEd
Not Yet Wild

Default Brakes need repeated bleeding

I've had my 2010 Tomberlin Emerge 6 seater since 2017. Have put on over 2,000 miles according to the odometer (had 3,600 when I purchased). In the past couple months we've been running it less often(we usually take it to pool or community events and haven't done that as much during winter/pandemic). Now I'm regularly having to bleed the brakes. I've replaced the front brakes at about 4,500 mile (at 6,200 total now). I've bled the brakes after replacing the brakes and it ran up to 6,000 miles (1,500 after I replaced the brakes) without issue. Then the brakes stopped being as touchy and have gotten worse. Now they are regularly needing bled. Any ideas on a cause or something I can investigate?
TomberlinEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-14-2021, 06:05 AM   #2
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Default Re: Brakes need repeated bleeding

If you don't see any visual leaking from wheels or brake lines I would lean toward the master cylinder leaking down past the spool internally.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 09:19 AM   #3
TomberlinEd
Not Yet Wild

Seeing some leaking from master cylinder. Any tips or instructions on replacing the master cylinder?
Old 09-30-2021, 09:44 AM   #4
crash12888
Gone Crazy

They are pretty straight forward, I don't know the system personally but basically remove any guards or covers to access the master, remove the one or two brake lines from it, remove the bolts that retain it to the frame and brake pedal,
reverse the procedure for the install.
Again, this is from years of general knowledge regarding brake systems and not the Tomberlin specifically.
If it was new to me, I would look for service videos or service manual to walk you through it.
It will cover items like bench bleeding if required and possible pedal push rod adjustments if needed.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 07:28 AM   #5
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

Here's some older tech tips for brake bleeding on the Tomberlin. Not your usual method regarding the caliper rotation but it makes sense and at least they're trying to figure out how to help.

Somedays it just takes a buddy saying "hey, what if we just do this?" to make things work a little smoother. Of course somedays our buddies get us in trouble too, but this one isn't the bad version of that thought.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Brake Bleeding 021113.pdf (764.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: pdf Tech Tip Brake Bleeding Procedure.pdf (579.8 KB, 0 views)
Tech Support is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 10:39 AM   #6
TomberlinEd
Not Yet Wild

Thanks. It seems straight forward but wanted to see if anyone has any,"make sure you don't do this" type of stuff. And I've had to bleed the brakes repeatedly because of the master cylinder and it is very much a, "try this" I've just been jacking up the front. Putting the blues tube on drivers side and loosen it and pump the brakes until I stop seeing bubbles. It can be done quick but certainly not ideal way to do it
Old 01-22-2022, 12:01 PM   #7
TomberlinEd
Not Yet Wild

Finally have my squishy brake issue resolved. After a while I noticed rear passenger side wheel area having buildup. Pulled the rotor and saw that the brake cylinder was leaking. Not a hard fix. I did it myself and only needed help to bleed the brakes after. Seems to have resolved the issue. I never replaced the brake master cylinder. Just one of the brake cylinders (the rear passenger side).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tomberlin Brake Cylinder.jpg (83.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-23-2022, 12:21 AM   #8
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Since your replaced the right rear wheel cylinder on your 12 year old cart, I would also suggest to proactively replace the left rear wheel cylinder as well.

Proactive replacement will likely prevent a future problem and could give you another 10 years of service.

Due to potential water contamination of the brake fluid, flushing the entire brake fluid system every 2 or 3 years is also good preventative brake maintenance.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 11:49 AM   #9
TomberlinEd
Not Yet Wild

Great call by ThreeCW. I didn't replace it proactively but I did order the part based on the suggestion that person made (because it took so long to get the part). Just under 7 months later I had the same issue with the other side and it required replacement. Thanks for your suggestion!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin