lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #1
KactusKiller
Getting Wild

Default I need some new axle shafts and rear drums, where should I get them?

I have a 2000 ezgo txt that is highly modified. I have started going thru a set of brake drums a year. I am thinking I need to replace the axles themselves and get new hubs. Where is the best place to get them? Is there any particular reason why my cart is tearing them up so fast? Any suggestions other than full replacement?
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-24-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: I need some new axle shafts and rear drums, where should I get them?

Wearing out the brake drums how? Are they wearing at the bearing surface?
Pull the wheels and drums and check for end play by trying to move the axle. I've seen complete axle sets on Ebay. EZGO parts dealers carry them too. But they are expensive. I think you could serve yourself well by trying to do some checking and testing before ordering anything. Have you raised the rearend off the ground then had someone engage the motor and turn the wheels while you look for rotational trueness?
I'm sure, like on cars and trucks, excessive unsprung weight hanging off the axles, (large wheels and tires), can be very hard on the axle bearings.
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:55 PM   #3
KactusKiller
Getting Wild

Default Re: I need some new axle shafts and rear drums, where should I get them?

The spline is stripping out. Little by little the teeth in the drum breakout.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:01 PM   #4
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

I think its' an ST-model(not definite)That has bigger axles,this may be an option to look into.You would have to swap the entire axle-assembly,as the internals are different also if I remember correctly.Someone should have more info on this.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:42 PM   #5
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

You might want to look into this new product:

Check it out here:

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Ezgo_Pinch_Hubs.html
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:51 AM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by KactusKiller View Post
I have a 2000 ezgo txt that is highly modified. I have started going thru a set of brake drums a year. I am thinking I need to replace the axles themselves and get new hubs. Where is the best place to get them? Is there any particular reason why my cart is tearing them up so fast? Any suggestions other than full replacement?
I won't speak to the brakes, but you shouldn't have to replace the rear end, unless it's either got a LOT of miles or suffered some physical damage.

I have a 1998 TXT, and I recently tore apart the rear end and replaced all bearings and seals, and replaced the oil. Not quite as quiet as new, but it's much quieter than before, and all tolerances have been restored to new. I placed a rare earth magnet (powerful) in the used oil overnight, and saw next to nothing in the way of iron shavings.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:23 AM   #7
KactusKiller
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
You might want to look into this new product:

Check it out here:

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Ezgo_Pinch_Hubs.html
thanks, I emailed Scotty yest and this was the option he suggested. I am ordering today.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:12 PM   #8
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If the axle splines are tearing up your hub/drum splines I think you have one of two issues. 1. The wheel/tire combo is too heavy for the axle. To me this seems the most likely as these axles are pretty stout. As Yurtle said, he tore his down and rebuilt it with little stress showing, (shavings). 2. The axle slpines were already worn, (the splines themselves have been rounded and are not making a good side wall to side wall contact with the hub splines. If this were the case, I would think you could see the damage. Since the drum/hub is the weak link in this one, I doubt your axles splines have been capped. They are not cast, but the ones in the hub/drum are. I think Pachanga90 makes a good suggestion in going to a larger axle. The other option, of course, is to switch to lighter wheels and tires. Another option may be to check with the forum suppliers and see what their disc brake kit rotors are made of. The spline section on them may be stouter than the cast drums from EZGO. If thats the case, it may solve your problem.
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:11 PM   #9
KactusKiller
Getting Wild

Thanks for the input guys, I am probably going with the pinch drums as mentioned above. Does anyone have any history with these? Pro's or Con's
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO