lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-18-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
mjcart
Not Yet Wild

Default What To do w/ Rearend

Hello all,
I have started a complete scratch built AMF harley-davidson cart. I am having issues on how to get the speed I am after. (35mph) I noticed that the rear end is 12:1 by my count, if I just replace the engine with a clone, and max rpm is 3400 that only gets me back to stock speed. What are you guys doing to get around the large gear ratio in the rearend to get more speed. I figured i could step up the gearing but afraid I would loose the hp? Help me Please.
mjcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-18-2012, 10:26 AM   #2
topshelf333
Getting Wild

Remove the governor for another 3000 rpms.

Sent from my DROID SPYDER using Tapatalk 2
topshelf333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:43 AM   #3
1moretoy
Never really finished

Mixed Breed

Default Re: What To do w/ Rearend

the title of your post should raise a few eyebrows
1moretoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #4
topshelf333
Getting Wild

Haha I totally didn't even see that and I'm pretty foul

Sent from my DROID SPYDER using Tapatalk 2
topshelf333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:33 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

My stock G9 ran 30 topped out on level pavement with stock engine and no governor, it only ran 28 (gps) on dirt roads. It has only 22" tires to change gearing, which is about the same as yours. The cvt overdrives .9 and my trans is 13 and change ratio, so it comes out to 11 or so total. So my clone has gx200 springs inside the originals, a 4 degree timing key, and .050 cut off the head. So far I am sure it is doing around 30mph but I let right off due to breaking it in yet. I expect it might run 35 or close to it. Also have an issue with my worn clutch it has a grove at the top and its not wanting to shift as far as it could, not had time to grind it or something. I need a new clutch this one is about shot so been trying to mod it a little. Of course the clone gets to top speed way faster. The first clone I put in is stock and have gps that at 31mph with same tires as I have, same cart.

The issue is gearing about all you can do is run larger yet tires like 25s/etc, get HS gears for the trans, or build the engine up to run more rpm like 6K at minimum. My stock G9 was over 5K. On the other hand my G9 gets a little hinky at full speed on the trails, it might be from the higher air pressure I run in my rears for full diameter, about 14-15lbs. I like going sideways but do think it needs some tuning. The stock engine you could only get going that fast on an open road/drive/etc and it took a while, the clone I can gas it and be over 25 in a matter of seconds. So I look to doing something more with the suspension.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:03 PM   #6
mjcart
Not Yet Wild

thanks for the good info, i will keep that in mind. I would assume that you are giving up reverse by changing to a clone engine? I did track down another small rear end out of some sort of cart that I believe to have 5:1 gearing which that may help in my case, I really dont want to run big tires as i am custom making a body from sratch and want to keep it low and fast. (pretty flat where I live)Thanks again
Old 10-23-2012, 05:47 AM   #7
1moretoy
Never really finished

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcart View Post
I would assume that you are giving up reverse by changing to a clone engine?
Not necessarily. If you use a rear end from a "gas 4 stroke" with the forward/reverse gearbox you will be able to maintain reverse. (Electric carts use the motor to reverse and 2 cycle gas engines turn backwards for reverse.)
1moretoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:56 PM   #8
mjcart
Not Yet Wild

my cart was a two stroke, my thought is to run a clone engine with the clutch for forward and mount the electric motor right to the rear end and use that just for reverse, I would think that it would run long enough with one battery for what little i will use reverse. Any thoughts?
Old 10-27-2012, 06:54 AM   #9
Riley Automotive
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I put a v twin motor in a 2 cycle ez go. I picked up a rear end from a club car 4 cycle for $100 and made new spring perches. That way I still have reverse. Pretty easy to do.
Riley Automotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:34 PM   #10
rokcrlr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Taller tires will change your gear ration in a since over the 18's that are on it now, but you would lose some power , Go with some 11.00-22's and it would be the same as about an 8 to 1 gear ratio
rokcrlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps