lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-19-2010, 02:50 PM   #1
JoeBohannon
Not Yet Wild

Default 1977 2 cycle

I am new and have been reading the threads and getting info on my cart. Now I am ready to get some opinions on what course I should take to make my cart run well.
It will start and run. I put in new gas. I disconnected the muffler to be sure it is not stopped up. I cleaned carb and fuel pump, But it still does the following things. Compression is 90 PSI. Will run pretty well for a few seconds and then seems to starve for gas. Then it will pickup and run well for a few more seconds. Does a lot of stutering and backfiring.Will not climb a hill I have very well. What do you suggest. It is a 1977 EZ go with one front wheel. Starter and generator is internal. Thanks, for the help.
JoeBohannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-19-2010, 05:33 PM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1977 2 cycle

90psi is pretty low, you're looking more for around 120-130, Here's a fast easy test to check your crank seals (which are a major culprit in running problems with these old 2-smokers) - get the rear tires off the ground on jack stands for safety, then fire it up and run it as best you can just at or above an idle. Have a friend (or yourself, if you want to look REALLY ridiculous) spray a good burst of carb cleaner or WD40 into the fan intake at the front of the motor, also spray a healthy shot at the rear of the motor where the crankshaft emerges. If either causes an increase in RPM's, you have bad crank seals (on the upside they're like $3 each, on the downside it can be an event to change them without pulling the engine).

As to the backfiring, there should be a small spring on the throttle cable right behind where it goes through the carb lever (between the lever and the "stop" on the throttle cable) - if it's not there, that will cause the butterfly to not close completely and will cause backfiring.

As to the "fluttering" (and now keep in mind these tests are only valid after you've determined your crank seals are good) - go ahead and disconnect the cable coming from the governor assembly (you've got 3 cables going to the carb, throttle, choke, and governor) and see if that's sticking and interfering with the smooth operation of the throttle ...

After those tests, then you may start wanting to look at the ignition components but for now, do those few things and let us know how it goes
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
JoeBohannon
Not Yet Wild

Thanks a lot. I will try the seal test tommorow. Also I have noticed that my governor cable is already disconnected ? If I have to replace the seals is it a major task.
JoeBohannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:13 PM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Not at all. The issue is that you need to remove the clutch at one end and the flywheel at the other, both of which need pullers. If this has not been done for a while they will be stuck on and the devil's own job to remove. On a more positive note many people have done this and so can you.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO