lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-05-2022, 01:05 PM   #1
Eleven
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 2009 Villager 4 (48V) Battery Health

Hello,

I have had this cart about six months. Its all stock with 4 12v Trojan t-1275 (E6 or May 2016). IQ Charger. Seems to run normal ( top speed 15/16mph). Just relatively short run times and has left us stranded. Not making long runs maybe a few miles or an hour or so total spread over the day - leads me to believe the batteries are weak. A lithium conversion has always been the plan, but want to make sure I am not leaving too much on the table or having some other issue.

After doing some research, I did the following run tests to see where I was at and was hoping to get some advice or other tests I should run. I have read the battery stickys and done some digging, but can't seem to find a guide on interpreting the states of charge. I have the spec sheet (see attached) for the batteries with the SOC table, but thats for individual batteries. What about the pack as a whole?

Batteries are watered and obviously I have no idea how they have been treated over the last 5/6 years.

Voltage reading after a normal neighborhood run and pack had been charged
Pack=49.4
1=12.59
2=12.46
3=11.92
4=12.57

Voltage reading on the charger (hitting a little above 15amp)
Pack = 53.7
1=13.49
2=13.37
3=13.50
4=13.47

Voltage 12hr after charger turns off
Pack = 50.8
1=12.76
2=12.65
3=12.71
4=12.72

Voltage at rest then underload up closest hill
Pack = 50.3 -> 44
1=12.62 -> 11.43
2=12.44 -> 11.05
3=11.77 -> 8.44
4=12.56 -> 11.32

Voltage after test (~30 min run time) and rest for 1 hr
Pack 50.2
1=12.69
2=12.57
3=12.36
4=12.65

Seems battery 3 drops way down, but then does come back up. Any help is appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-08-05 at 1.02.21 PM.jpg (19.2 KB, 0 views)
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-05-2022, 01:51 PM   #2
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2009 Villager 4 (48V) Battery Health

You're right, battery 3 has some problems. 1, 2 an 4 were at 75% or so after the ride but battery 3 was essentially dead at 35%. That one battery is affecting the whole pack.

The batteries are over 6 years old. This is a long time for 12 volt batteries. I would advise against replacing the one bad battery.

A lithium conversion would be a simple installation, especially with Eco Batteries. The 72Ah battery would drop in where two -12 volt LA's sit now.

Big Battery and Allied is another choice many members have gone to.

For more information:

https://www.cartsunlimited.net/charging-tutorial.html

Read every word until you get to the SOC chart and you'll be as smart as ScottyB!
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 03:24 PM   #3
Eleven
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the quick reply Tom. Good info in that link! Got all the way to the SOC chart, not sure I am as smart, but i guess its a start!

Pack age is definitely a concern and am not really looking at trying to replace a bad one. Weight, space and low maintenance are good enough excuses to jump to lithium in my opinion. Just don't want it to be totally on that if I can salvage some reliable life out of these.

I was not sure which condition to judge the batteries on and why battery 3 comes back up to an acceptable charge after a little rest.

Also, any examples of good battery numbers under load? - i know it could wildly range do to cart/load/motor/etc. but is 44v up a hill good/normal?
Old 08-06-2022, 03:35 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Most of your problem is because of having 12v batteries. I'm not 100%, but I'm pretty darn sure it should have 8v batteries instead.
The Villager carts are larger, heavier, and typically use more power than a standard cart. SO they would most likely have come with an 8v pack (six 8v batteries), and some of them came with 6v packs (eight 6V batteries).

Average capacity in AH for a 12v battery is 140, I think the Trojan 1275 is 150AH, but I could be wrong.
Average for an 8v battery like the T875 is 170AH
And average for a 6v battery like the T105 is over 200Ah.
The 1275 is a much larger battery because it has 2 more cells, but the cells are smaller which means lower capacity.
Capacity doesn't exactly equal run-time, but a lower capacity pack will ALWAYS have a lower run time compared to a higher capacity pack. Another downside to lower capacity batteries, the amperage output is lower, which means the voltage sags more under load, which also means they discharge at a faster rate because they essentially have to work harder.

If you're on the fence about batteries, you need at least a pack of six 8v batteries.

Watch out for Lithium, because it doesn't always handle higher loading (amp draw) very well. A heavier cart will need a larger capacity lithium pack which can add substantial cost.
Also lithium carries a major fire hazard. I would caution you to do a LOT of research on lithium before you make that jump.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 08:01 AM   #5
Eleven
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the reply!

yes, the trojan 1275 i have are 150ah. It all looks to be original set up with new batteries. The manual/parts list I downloaded has a 12v pack and 8v pack battery set up listed for this model.

I am not sure about the weight and power consumption. It is just a 4 seater not the 6 or 8. My understanding was this was just a DS with some extra things required by The Villages like turn signals and horn.

I am not looking to build my own lithium, but rather get a kit and install. I put my name by an Ecobattery 48 105 at my local shop. Do you think that would be a good match? I am guessing the cart is 500-600lb without the batteries. Controller should be 250ish peak. Ill pull the cover to confirm whats under there.

They are month or two out, so I have time to sort things out. I wanted to first determine if these batteries were good or failing. I had not really thought about going to 8v or 6v pack. When you present it that way, there is quite a bit of difference.
Old 08-07-2022, 05:13 PM   #6
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
I put my name by an Ecobattery 48 105 at my local shop. Do you think that would be a good match? I am guessing the cart is 500-600lb without the batteries. Controller should be 250ish peak. Ill pull the cover to confirm whats under there.
That 105 is an excellent choice. My 72 gets me close to 40 miles down to 20% SOC. The 105 will get you 55 miles or more.

Of course it all depends on your terrain. It will handle hills very well but at a sacrifice for range. I have no hills to test mine on.

With E.B., I feel you have nothing to worry about.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car