lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-01-2022, 08:46 PM   #1
thebaumsquad
Not Yet Wild

Default Vanguard 23 muffler options to decrease noise

Hey guys,
I have an EZGO with the vanguard 23 hp in it. I've had it for about 6 years and it was installed before I had it. It looks like they used the Vegas cart kit. I love it. My question is are there any muffler options with little to no modification that will decrease the noise? I don't mind it but the wife isn't a huge fan of how loud it is. I'm not sure if it was quieter when we first got it. I've included pics so you can see what I have installed.
Thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20220802_013632671.jpg (228.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20220802_013400466.jpg (196.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20220802_013640940.jpg (228.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20220802_013711156.jpg (211.4 KB, 0 views)
thebaumsquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-01-2022, 09:23 PM   #2
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: Vanguard 23 muffler options to decrease noise

That looks more like a CPP swap rather than Vegascarts. The square tubing on the engine mount,exhaust header and the low tone muffler are the giveaways.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 09:37 PM   #3
thebaumsquad
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
That looks more like a CPP swap rather than Vegascarts. The square tubing on the engine mount,exhaust header and the low tone muffler are the giveaways.
I'll defer to the experts, I'm sure you're right! Would just replacing the muffler with a new low tone muffler help?
Old 08-01-2022, 09:55 PM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I don't have one but several others have used Supertrapps from Jack's Small Engines with some nice results. Again if you want to do more work adding something like the Walker 18192 mounted transversely would be an option. P.S. I think Ron "The New Guy" might have used an air cooled VW muffler on a Vanguard. Maybe he or someone else will weigh in here on that.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 11:19 AM   #5
thebaumsquad
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
I don't have one but several others have used Supertrapps from Jack's Small Engines with some nice results. Again if you want to do more work adding something like the Walker 18192 mounted transversely would be an option. P.S. I think Ron "The New Guy" might have used an air cooled VW muffler on a Vanguard. Maybe he or someone else will weigh in here on that.
Awesome, I appreciate the advice. I'll look into that
Old 08-02-2022, 02:54 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Is it possible the muffler you have is blown out or has a leak? That would make it louder than stock. Those mufflers are actually very quiet for a Vtwin muffler.

Making an exhaust quiet is a chore. Most small mufflers don't have much in the way of baffling or absorption material. The muffler you have is just a baffle type.

I have used several different mufflers on my past engines. The one I liked the best was a muffler that was a cheap version of a "Thermo-King APU" generator muffler used on semi truck generator sets. Google that. The real "Thermo-King" brand mufflers are super expensive, but keep in mind they were designed for generators that run all night while truckers sleep 5 feet away, they are quiet. The "walker 22022" is what I used, not as quiet as a Thermoking but it's cheap.

I have also used "baffle inserts" that are also called "silencers". They slide into your exhaust pipe and basically interupt the sound waves. They are little sections of exhaust pipe with the end welded up and have holes all around them. They are often used in street bikes. When I tried one of these my wife "loved" the sound, much more tame. See photos. They are made in all sizes. The longer they are, the more they work.

Keep in mind that anything that dampens sound usually also robs power away at wot, sometimes changes the power curve of the engine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg silencer 1.jpg (5.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg silencer 3.jpg (109.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg walker 22022.jpg (3.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg thermoking apu muffler.jpg (57.2 KB, 0 views)
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 11:37 PM   #7
thebaumsquad
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Is it possible the muffler you have is blown out or has a leak? That would make it louder than stock. Those mufflers are actually very quiet for a Vtwin muffler.

Making an exhaust quiet is a chore. Most small mufflers don't have much in the way of baffling or absorption material. The muffler you have is just a baffle type.

I have used several different mufflers on my past engines. The one I liked the best was a muffler that was a cheap version of a "Thermo-King APU" generator muffler used on semi truck generator sets. Google that. The real "Thermo-King" brand mufflers are super expensive, but keep in mind they were designed for generators that run all night while truckers sleep 5 feet away, they are quiet. The "walker 22022" is what I used, not as quiet as a Thermoking but it's cheap.

I have also used "baffle inserts" that are also called "silencers". They slide into your exhaust pipe and basically interupt the sound waves. They are little sections of exhaust pipe with the end welded up and have holes all around them. They are often used in street bikes. When I tried one of these my wife "loved" the sound, much more tame. See photos. They are made in all sizes. The longer they are, the more they work.

Keep in mind that anything that dampens sound usually also robs power away at wot, sometimes changes the power curve of the engine.
It might be bad. A replacement is $70 on Amazon. Before I did that I was wondering if there might be a better option. Think I might try the walker 22022 as that is a little cheaper and sounds like it might be better.
I appreciate all the advice. Thanks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!