lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-01-2022, 10:41 AM   #1
Dr_Greenthumb
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Dead-Nothing

I had to get towed back yesterday, I thought the ignition switch might be bad but a new used one didn't work either. I have had some bad luck with the added accessories on my cart, shorting out the key switch. I have a voltage regulator that I will install, but right now the cart won't move in either direction. I don't think I hear any clicks when the cart get's powered on, usually I do hear a click or two. I stopped the cart, everything worked, then nothing.

The problem is that the cart is out at the farm and I only get to work on it during the weekend, I don't think I am getting any power to the key switch, that is really the only thing that I tested before running out of time.

I looked at all of the fuses I could find, they all seemed good. Is there a relay before the switch, or since there isn't any clicks, is the solenoid or controller bad?
Dr_Greenthumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-02-2022, 07:22 AM   #2
Dr_Greenthumb
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Dead-Nothing

I know this is a shot in the dark, but someone has diagnosed a Yamaha cart.

All I know to do is follow the key switch back until I get to power, I figured I would run into a relay or fuse that is hopefully the issue.

I am going to try to test the following: key & f/r switches, solenoid, wiring, tps, motor, batteries all test good and brushes are good.

I'm assuming all of these items will be ohm tested for continuity?

I want to also test the solenoid & controller if possible if all these items appear to work.
Old 08-02-2022, 02:15 PM   #3
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

There is a 3 amp fuse that feeds power to the run/tow switch. Check if you have battery power at the run/tow switch. Shorting the key switch will blow that 3 amp fuse usually.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 02:50 PM   #4
Dr_Greenthumb
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Perfect, thank you for that tidbit of information.

If I can't figure out what is going on this weekend, I think I will tow the cart back to the house to try and troubleshoot.

I will follow the wires from the tow switch.
Old 08-08-2022, 06:51 AM   #5
Dr_Greenthumb
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
There is a 3 amp fuse that feeds power to the run/tow switch. Check if you have battery power at the run/tow switch. Shorting the key switch will blow that 3 amp fuse usually.
You were correct that the 3 amp fuse was blown. Thank you!

I'm actually stumped now, the key switch didn't short and there is actually a voltage regulator already installed in the cart.

The regulator installed is the silver one, I purchased the blue one. Would swapping them out possibly keep my voltage issues at bay? I have had to replace my key switch twice, and now the 3 amp fuse blew. I'm not the best electrician, I just want the cart to work. It would be nice to have the lights, but I am almost ready to just unplug them all.
Attached Images
File Type: png regulator.png (35.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png regulator blue.png (41.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-08-2022, 09:19 AM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

You should not be connecting that reducer to the key switch. It should go directly to the battery terminals. It will burn out a key switch fairly quickly and will also blow the 3 amp fuse if you pull much current from it with accessories. That silver unit does not have a trigger wire so it will be on all the time.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 12:17 PM   #7
Dr_Greenthumb
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
You should not be connecting that reducer to the key switch. It should go directly to the battery terminals. It will burn out a key switch fairly quickly and will also blow the 3 amp fuse if you pull much current from it with accessories. That silver unit does not have a trigger wire so it will be on all the time.
I will take some pictures this weekend and see if I can find anything that may be making the key switch to fail. I'm stumped as I thought I needed a reducer, and I already have one installed.
Does anything come to mind why the key switch and fuse may be failing? I can track wires and take pictures, any particular area I should focus on? I'll grab pics of where the wires go from the regulator, and under the cup holders where the key switch is located.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha