lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-28-2022, 08:52 PM   #1
jstjohnz
Not Yet Wild

Default Electrical questions

Trying to get a better understanding of the workings of the cart.

When is the solenoid activated? Whenever the key is on, when accelerator is pressed, or something else?

Does anyone know what "Generatrix" is on the wiring diagram?

It looks like the electronics essential to operating the cart are all 48 volts. Am I correct in assuming that the cart can be driven even if the 12V converter fails?
jstjohnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-30-2022, 11:29 AM   #2
derelicte
Gone Wild

Default Re: Electrical questions

The cart will run without the dc/dc converter. Obviously you won't have things like lights, horn, etc.

I believe the contactor is closed whenever the key is turned on, after a brief delay. I do not believe it is opened as long as the key stays on.

Which wiring diagram shows the generatix?
derelicte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 03:03 PM   #3
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Solenoids: Solenoids are activated when you press the "go peddle". You don't want the solenoid to constantly be closed (contact's engaged) as that will shorten the life of the solenoid.

You should hear a definite "click" when you press the go peddle. That's the sound of the solenoid contacts engaging or closing.

Somewhere in the EZ-GO forum a very knowledgable guy who went by Sergio posted a setup where you could have the solenoid do a "delayed" opening. Some felt this was helpful when noise wanted to be kept to a minimum like when your trying to turn around in a tight spot (constant switching from R to F)...or when hunting and you want the cart as quiet as possible.

Sergio just stopped posting on the forum. Nobody knows why. But I do know his advice was always sound and he was a very helpful man. I can only hope that whatever happen to him, he is at peace.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 07:26 PM   #4
jstjohnz
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by derelicte View Post
Which wiring diagram shows the generatix?
2022 with Icon controller.

It has 4 wires, all go directly to the controller but one also goes to the accelerator.
Old 07-31-2022, 09:17 AM   #5
__JAG__
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
Solenoids: Solenoids are activated when you press the "go peddle". You don't want the solenoid to constantly be closed (contact's engaged) as that will shorten the life of the solenoid.

You should hear a definite "click" when you press the go peddle. That's the sound of the solenoid contacts engaging or closing.

Somewhere in the EZ-GO forum a very knowledgable guy who went by Sergio posted a setup where you could have the solenoid do a "delayed" opening. Some felt this was helpful when noise wanted to be kept to a minimum like when your trying to turn around in a tight spot (constant switching from R to F)...or when hunting and you want the cart as quiet as possible.

Sergio just stopped posting on the forum. Nobody knows why. But I do know his advice was always sound and he was a very helpful man. I can only hope that whatever happen to him, he is at peace.
I do not think that is correct. The solenoid should be ON anytime the key is engaged. The noticeable click you hear when you hit the pedal, two things. One, you can hear the faint click of the pedal limit switch. Second, you hear the disengagement of the electronic brake.
__JAG__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 02:02 PM   #6
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by __JAG__ View Post
I do not think that is correct. The solenoid should be ON anytime the key is engaged. The noticeable click you hear when you hit the pedal, two things. One, you can hear the faint click of the pedal limit switch. Second, you hear the disengagement of the electronic brake.
Welp…..that’s not how it works on my cart. Turn on the key & it’s all very quiet. Put the F/R switch in neutral so the reversing contractors don’t engage (just more bigger solenoids), press the go peddle & hear the solenoid engage…”click”.

It sorta makes sense that it engages when the peddle is pressed. If just when the key is turned on, then what’s it’s purpose?
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 06:55 AM   #7
derelicte
Gone Wild

Electrical mechanical components (like relays and contactors) lifespan is rated in number of cycles. The fewer times they operate, the longer they live.

The behavior of your cart is the opposite of the way you want it to operate.
Old 08-01-2022, 06:56 AM   #8
derelicte
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstjohnz View Post
2022 with Icon controller.

It has 4 wires, all go directly to the controller but one also goes to the accelerator.
can you post a link to the wiring diagram that shows this?

can you see this connector on your cart?
Old 08-01-2022, 11:19 PM   #9
jstjohnz
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
Welp…..that’s not how it works on my cart. Turn on the key & it’s all very quiet. Put the F/R switch in neutral so the reversing contractors don’t engage (just more bigger solenoids), press the go peddle & hear the solenoid engage…”click”.

It sorta makes sense that it engages when the peddle is pressed. If just when the key is turned on, then what’s it’s purpose?
Well I may have to do some voltage checks and see who is correct. The solenoid coil is operated by the controller. If it was stricyly key on/off then it would make more sense to connect the solenoid to the key switch. Maybe it's a way for the controller to disconnect power in certain error situations? Or not operate the solenoid until the controller has fully initialized.

And it's certainly possible that both of you are correct, your carts may just be designed differently.

My purpose for sking BTW was to see if the solenoid would be a good place to attach an extra voltage converter that does not have an extra input lead to turn it on and off.
Old 08-01-2022, 11:23 PM   #10
jstjohnz
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by derelicte View Post
can you post a link to the wiring diagram that shows this?

can you see this connector on your cart?
https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/atta...8&d=1646231925

From post #10 on the Wiring Diagram sticky thread. Have not tried to trace anything on the cart (yet).
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon