lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-25-2022, 09:41 AM   #1
311DaveR
Not Yet Wild

Default Just installed 2 inch wheel spacers on my I40L

Hello all,

I just completed another mod to my 2022 I40L (2’' wheel spacers), and I must say it really has improved the ride and overall handling significantly. In the spirit of sharing “lessons learned”, I wanted to bring a few items forward for the group that might help others:
  1. Use a torque wrench when tightening your bolts! The instructions say you should tighten these every 25/50 miles, and if you don’t use a torque wrench you can easily break a stud or under-tighten – so don’t proceed without one
  2. When you install your spacers to the front wheels, you will need a person to hold the brake, otherwise your wheels just spin (very obvious right?!)
  3. Probably the most important lesson learned, when you add spacers to the rear wheels, if you lift both tires off the ground, the cart will ROLL! I noticed that when I did the fronts the cart doesn’t move (of course). Just BE CAREFUL here

This last item can sneak up on you, but I was lucky enough to check this before I started on the back axle. Also, an impact wrench makes removing the lugs a breeze (I just don't use it to reinstall).

Here are three before pics and two after pics.

Enjoy,
DaveR

Link to Amazon product I used: <LINK>
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pic 0 before.jpg (172.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 1 before.jpg (154.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 2 before.jpg (189.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 3 after.jpg (175.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 5 after.jpg (165.2 KB, 0 views)
311DaveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-25-2022, 03:07 PM   #2
derelicte
Gone Wild

Default Re: Just installed 2 inch wheel spacers on my I40L

Looks good!

What did you torque the lug nuts to?
derelicte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 12:38 PM   #3
311DaveR
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by derelicte View Post
Looks good!

What did you torque the lug nuts to?
Thanks! The owners manual I have said 58 ft-lb which felt pretty tight but nothing broke

I spent more than I wanted to on the spacers, but a GREAT, simple mod. As you can see I also updated my mirrors which is cool - but this is REALLY cool :).

Enjoy!
DaveR
Old 07-27-2022, 07:04 AM   #4
Flyfisher
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Looks great! Have you noticed a difference driving on wet roads or in the rain? Does water rooster tail up from the part of the tires not covered by the fenders? Just asking, because I live in Florida where it rains a lot.
Flyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 09:46 AM   #5
311DaveR
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisher View Post
Looks great! Have you noticed a difference driving on wet roads or in the rain? Does water rooster tail up from the part of the tires not covered by the fenders? Just asking, because I live in Florida where it rains a lot.
Greetings - actually, I haven't had it in the rain, and I won't bet against you (I bet this throws A LOT of water since it isn't blocked by the fender). I probably won't drive it in the wet, or I don't plan too - hopefully, someone else can respond.

Sorry!
DaveR
Old 07-27-2022, 05:34 PM   #6
derelicte
Gone Wild

I forgot I had an owner's manual!

My manual says 105 - 120 Nm, which works out to 77 - 88 ftlb according to online calculators.

Thanks!
Old 08-21-2022, 06:54 AM   #7
repsolracer22
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

where did you buy spacers & what brand? are they still awesome and working well for you? what exactly is the improvement you have experienced? Id assume it takes turns better without as much body roll?
repsolracer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 09:31 AM   #8
derelicte
Gone Wild

I just installed these 2" spacers yesterday:

https://www.amazon.com/Orion-Motor-T.../dp/B083NYZ5P9

They are very well made. The only thing I didn't like is the lug nuts are only threaded on about half way because the studs on the cart are on the short side. But based on my measurements of the stock wheels, they have about the same thread engagement.

They also come with a little bottle of loctite, which I did use to put a small drop on each stud. I'm not sure I'd do this again, though.

I torqued them to 75 lb-ft. I'll pull the wheels off in a week or two and retorque them.
Old 08-22-2022, 06:03 AM   #9
jeffahfah
Getting Wild

those half height lugs are a problem without loctite. I had problems with mine and ended up using the stock lugs on the spacers and bought lugs for the outside wheel (full height). Had zero problems since then. Those with 2 inch spacers could use the full height ones.
jeffahfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 06:28 AM   #10
derelicte
Gone Wild

The problem isn't with the lug nuts, it is with the studs. They aren't long enough. Longer lug nuts won't help if there is nothing for the threads to engage with.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon