lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-20-2022, 11:24 PM   #1
TCDrive2
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default 2021 Yamaha Drive2 - Intermittent Starting (Need Advice)

I purchased my 2021 Yamaha Drive2 Quietech last year. I installed Plowman's performance package on it last year as well (TEAM primary clutch, heavier spring in secondary, performance belt, air filter, tuned valves, removed spark arrestor, etc.)

The problem:
At times, over the past several months it will not re-start (fire), at times, after the engine shuts off after coming to a stop. To be clear, the starter/generator cranks just fine (plenty of power - battery is good), but the engine won't fire.
This doesn't happen all the time, but probably 20-30% of the time after coming to a stop. This has made it hard to diagnose since it doesn't happen the majority of the time.

I finally had time today to really dig into it again to see if I could identity what is causing the problem. I put an inline spark tester on the plug and ran then engine in neutral for a period of time, several times, allowing it to stop and then would hit the peddle again until I was finally able to reproduce what I have been experiencing - no start (no firing again) after the engine stops/shuts off.

What I determined today is this: when it it would not start (not fire), I confirmed it was still producing spark (via the inline spark tester) - starter/generator would crank, spark tester would light (indicating good spark), but the engine would not fire. Next I proceeded check if the fuel injector (this is an EFI cart) was spraying when the engine cranked. I found that it was. HOWEVER, what I also found was during the events when the engine would not start up and I would pull the injector out while the starter motor was still engaged (still cranking via my hand on the peddle), I found that the quantity of fuel that was being sprayed was less than when I pulled the injector after the times that the engine did start.

So, right now, it appears that the injector is not spraying out enough fuel during the times that the engine doesn't start (fire).

Here's where I need help/expert opinion:
- Do you think the injector is the problem (faulty and just isn't opening up enough at times to allow enough fuel through)?

or

- Do you think this is a problem with the ECM (engine controller) or another potentially faulty sensor sending a bad signal to the ECM causing the injector, incorrectly, not open as much as it should on start up?

Does anyone with experience in fuel injected carts or other fuel injected vehicles has any insight, experience or a gut feel on what is likely the root problem (the injector, ECM, another sensor)? Do you have any other suggestions on what I can try to further narrow down?

The cart should still be under warranty (unless the Plowman's performance kit above ends up voiding it - probably depends on the dealer I would assume), but my dealer is not close and I don't have a way short of renting a trailer to get it there (which I will do if I have to, but wanted to fix at home if possible)!

Thanks for any help or experience on this you can provide!
TCDrive2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-21-2022, 01:29 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 2021 Yamaha Drive2 - Intermittent Starting (Need Advice)

Having spark is good. The fact that the injector DOES fire is also a good sign that the electrical system and controls are good.

I’d check the fuel pressure. I’ll be up front and say I’ve got zero experience with EFI carts but plenty of experience with cars and EFI 4wheelers. I’ve had a couple Honda foreman’s that would act similarly when the fuel pump was starting to fail. Or once when there was a quantity of sand inside the injector that was obstructing flow inside the injector (long story, rough life )

Checking fuel pressure would give a lot of information.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 06:00 AM   #3
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I would think that either the fuel pump or injector is at fault. Its easy enough to pull the pump and see if anything is plugging the intake. I have had intermittent pump operation due to the wire coming off of the motor.

Quote:
The cart should still be under warranty (unless the Plowman's performance kit above ends up voiding it - probably depends on the dealer I would assume)
You most definitely have voided the warranty.
rstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 08:46 AM   #4
TCDrive2
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thanks for the responses.

Do you know what psi the fuel pressure is supposed to be at on the Yamaha EFI carts?
Old 07-21-2022, 09:31 PM   #5
TCDrive2
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quick update:

1) Pulled the EFI fuel pump out of the fuel tank and checked filter - looked good. Ran fuel pump with line removed and looked to have good flow/pressure. Didn't pressure check b/c don't have a fuel pressure gauge.
2) Purchased carb cleaner, pulled injector, pressurized injector with carb cleaner and cycled injector multiple times using cables hooked up to the battery.

After doing #2 above, drove for about 45 minutes with several stops. The re-start problem did not reoccur.

While I'm not 100% convinced yet, I am hoping that #2 above has fixed the problem. Time will tell.
Old 07-23-2022, 10:02 PM   #6
villebacker
Gone Wild

Yamaha

For what it's worth when my 2017 PTV Quietech starts being contrary to start I have pulled the fuel pump, disassembled and blew the screen at the bottom out and the internal check valve, reassembled and all was good for a long time. I have had to do this twice since I have owned it. Still starting good at present. I also have the Plowman's kit on mine also.
villebacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 04:21 PM   #7
willygee
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

This is a good post I have a 2013 EFI drive. Performs as advertised but good to know when these symptoms occur and what to do. I did install a two position switch one being normal golf cart operation and the up position being engine won't quit at idle at a stop sign ...stays running.. like a car...lot of stop and go traffic here in The villages where we have 90 miles plus of intermodal roads for golf carts.
willygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 06:55 AM   #8
TCDrive2
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Villebacker - Thanks for the information/suggestion. This very well could be the same issue on my cart. When I pulled the full pump, I actually considered disassembling as well, but was a bit concerned about breaking the small plastic fasteners that hold it together. Were you able to get it apart without anything breaking? Any suggestions on this or just be really careful?
Old 07-25-2022, 07:44 AM   #9
TCDrive2
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by villebacker View Post
For what it's worth when my 2017 PTV Quietech starts being contrary to start I have pulled the fuel pump, disassembled and blew the screen at the bottom out and the internal check valve, reassembled and all was good for a long time. I have had to do this twice since I have owned it. Still starting good at present. I also have the Plowman's kit on mine also.
Villebacker - Thanks for the information/suggestion. This very well could be the same issue on my cart. When I pulled the fuel pump, I actually considered disassembling as well, but was a bit concerned about breaking the small plastic fasteners that hold it together. Were you able to get it apart without anything breaking? Any suggestions on this or just be really careful?
Old 07-25-2022, 08:28 AM   #10
willygee
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Service manual links:both manuals cover EFI and E battery models.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5a13o00s1u...01%29.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ofj2vo9o50...02%29.pdf?dl=0
willygee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ecm, efi, injector, sensor
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha