lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-03-2022, 11:38 AM   #1
WranglerSK
Not Yet Wild

Default For the guys who've tackled low compression - input please

I swore the compression wasn't this low when I first had it in my shop - but things just weren't adding up. I tinkered on timing over and over and over.. so I went back to basics and checked compression again. 88 forward 120 reverse.

That's why I can get her booting around in reverse. But never climb the slightest hill going forward!

So here's my situation.

1974 H.D. Cart

1. This isn't mine. It's a coworker's and I'm trying to get it back to her without breaking the bank (plus get it out of my shop
2. My wife is heading to South Dakota in a week's time, and parts are usually cheaper down there than in Canada (typically the shipping is what kills a guy).

3. I don't think this cylinder has ever had work done on it.

And here's my question

I'm a rookie to cylinders and rebuilds of any sort, but not afraid to tackle a new project.

Do I:
1. Buy a head and cylinder and plop it on? (If so, where do you recommend I get it?

2. Look at buying oversized rings and get cylinder walls bored (I sure hope my lingo is correct) - is that something a person does themselves or do you take it to a machine shop for that project? If this is your suggestion, how do you determine what size of oversized rings, you'd obviously need new head bolts and gaskets, yes?(and again where would you suggest I order them)

I guess before anything I should tear it open and have a look? And recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the help.

W
WranglerSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-03-2022, 11:59 AM   #2
WranglerSK
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: For the guys who've tackled low compression - input please

Curiosity always gets the best of me, so I took exhaust off, substantial scoring on the cylinder. So I took the head off. The top of the cylinder has a bit of marking but the bottom is terrible. The rings have "100" on them

The piston has "040" on it
Old 07-03-2022, 06:03 PM   #3
Leon willis
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I would say rebuild time
Leon willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 06:23 PM   #4
WranglerSK
Not Yet Wild

Leon, rebuild as in take to machine shop and get overaize rings, or buy new piston and head, or...?
Old 07-03-2022, 09:30 PM   #5
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

120 compression seems to be too high. On all I have worked on 90 forward and a little more in reverse is somewhat average for a broke in engine. The engine always turns faster in reverse (higher compression) but rarely 120 psi.
I have just replaced rings only at least 2 times before a top end replacement. would pull the head and cylinder and check for wear. You may only need new rings of the proper size. But first I would look at the timing in forward and reverse and make sure it is timed correctly in both directions. Your engine should run very well with compression around 80 t0 90 psi. I gad one on my shop with compression so lo it would run only in reverse. the compression in forward was 60 psi but reverse was 65 t0 70. It would run in reverse due to the higher rpm and resultant compression increase. I hate to blow the timing horn so many times but that is where most people misunderstand timing in both directions.
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 09:42 PM   #6
WranglerSK
Not Yet Wild

If I have done this correctly, I've attached an image of the exhaust side of the cylinder. It's in terrible shape. The other side, not too bad.. but either way, can't see a cart wanting to run with gouges in it.

Note: it did run. In reverse like crazy. Forward, hardly climb a slight slope.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220703_203907.jpg (220.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-03-2022, 11:09 PM   #7
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

The piston highly suggests a new top end. I used to buy a new cylinder with piston and rings. But today it might be less to repair if you have a good machine shop that will bore for a new piston and ring set. 2 cycle engine top end work used to be very reasonable when neighborhood shops had the necessary machines.
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 12:31 PM   #8
Leon willis
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I just rebuilt my Harley and I would say new piston and bore the jug 20 over or if you have to go 40
Old 07-04-2022, 01:04 PM   #9
WranglerSK
Not Yet Wild

I made a call to local shop. He said they can hone it but if it requires boring, it has to be shipped to winnipeg (due to materials or something like that. I told him there seems to be new jug and piston kits for $300 ish and he recommended I go with that route. Said it'd be the cheaper option by far.
Old 07-04-2022, 01:39 PM   #10
Leon willis
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I would suggest not buying that it’s cheap chainesium trash the OG is much better I would say to bore it 40 over more power and cheaper
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson