lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center
Design Center Shop tools, fabrication and Paint and Body

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-02-2022, 12:16 AM   #1
Ldstang50
Not Yet Wild

Default Coil overs, and rear suspension converted to IRS

I searched through here and couldn’t find much on front coilovers and rear suspension converted to IRS. The battery allows for speeds just over 30mph making a proper suspension paramount

First the front
The cart already has a IFS. However the stock springs snd shocks are soft. The shocks have near zero control of the spring action. Compression is too soft and the rear rebound is very high. This makes the cart have considerable pitch. It also creates a serious roll. All this creates a nervous feel when driving

The rear.
The left spring does not allow for a shock to control spring rate, so the compression/rebound control is non-existent. In stock form, the rear leaf spring and solid axle make for a great golf course cart as it allows the inside tire to have constant extension with a vertical load. An IRS would not allow this and likely have the inside tire ‘hanging’ in the air when doing an over camber climb, or a during a high speed corner.

At the minimum, I’m looking for front coilovers they allow for adjustable ride height and shock control (both compression and rebound). Most of the stuff I find online are for UTVs, not carts.

If there is a kit to swap to an IRS, I haven’t found anything.

The cart is used 99% of the time on pavement, so lowering an inch is an option.

Thank you in advance
Ldstang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-02-2022, 01:00 AM   #2
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Coil overs, and rear suspension converted to IRS

First piece of information missing is make and model of the cart you are talking about.

With this information, you can be advised as to what is available.

There are several front end long travel and double a arm conversion kits that will sort out the front end, and many members have fabricated their own four or three link long travel rear end conversions. Plus there are engine cradles that will also achieve what you are looking for. For a full irs you would be looking at changing everything on the rear including an irs differential, drive shafts brakes etc. This has all been done with ATV parts and some fabrication. The Downside is that these carts are usually gas powered.

Changes to the rear axle will create a need to change the way the motor will drive it as the standard axle/diff is an integral part of the motor.

Best option is to stay with the stock axle on the rear with four link and coilover setup and use an off the shelf front long travel or double a arm kit.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 12:22 AM   #3
Ldstang50
Not Yet Wild

Much appreciated
It’s a 2018 Easy-Go
As far as model, I’m not sure. Where can I look for the model?
Ldstang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 04:16 AM   #4
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

It will be either based on TXT model or RXV. is it AC or DC drive.

Pictures of the body, front suspension and motor/axle might help. I dont really know the models well after about 2006.

If you post pictures, someone will be able to tell you what it is. I suspect its an RXV if it has Independent front suspension.

https://cartpartsdirect.com/blogs/mo.../ezgo-model-id
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 04:27 PM   #5
Unforgiven
Feral

Mixed Breed

Lot of post on designs of 3 link and 4 link rear suspensions. I take it your lifting the cart for more articulation, wheel travel or more sporty ride.
I really like how my cart handles uneven ground, mud, or just the highway.

Truly Rear Independent on a electric would be challenging. Motor would need to be turned 90 degrees and mounted to front of the rear dif. CV axles ran off that to wheels. Rear difs gear ratio would have to change.

I'd say the 4 link would be the best for a sparky,....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cart2022 (2).jpg (100.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg rear2.jpg (90.6 KB, 0 views)
Unforgiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center