lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-02-2022, 07:16 AM   #11
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: 420cc Raptor into 1985 ezgo marathon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
Looking at the pictures, it is side to side hence part of my response previously. I thought it best to also mention the loss of reverse.
Yeah I thought so, but it was difficult for me to tell in that photo. I've never tried to do an engine swap in one of these. I'm sure it's been done, but it doesn't appear to be as easy. I've never worked on one of the sideways ezgo's before, so I'm not real familiar.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-04-2022, 09:36 PM   #12
Darla Mc
Not Yet Wild

What kind of rearend will I need to look for ?
I hvnt decided yet about the motor. But I am sure if I pull it out I will sale it.
Darla Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 12:00 AM   #13
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

You would need a rear end from a 4 stroke cart, but it is not that simple. You would also need the cables and shifter mechanism for changing between forward and reverse. Not an issue if you have fabrication skills but not for the feint hearted!

To be honest, your best bet would be to find a later four stroke cart and do the conversion on that. It does not even need an engine in it if you are going to fit a clone of some sort. All you need is a rolling cart minus engine and all you would have to do is fit the clone with a little fabrication.

Then you can sell the running cart you have now to cover your costs.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 06:27 AM   #14
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

That is the way to do it
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 01:07 PM   #15
Darla Mc
Not Yet Wild

I found an old rear end that is in line but it is a 2 stroke, will the predator 420 cc work
Old 07-07-2022, 01:22 PM   #16
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

I don't think you understood anything we have said! You need a four stroke axle for reverse gear!!!!
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 09:57 AM   #17
Darla Mc
Not Yet Wild

Thank you, I appreciate your time. I did listen th guy said that the 2 stroke had reverse. I am NOT a mechanic at all. I did this a a project for cosmetic fun & it looks great...I just want it to go faster & to run. The guy I bought it from did so many modifications, the golf mechanics don't really know how to diagnose what the issue is, because of the modifications, i put new clutch, new carb, new belts, new governor, new starter, i watched utube & did ok. But after that i dont know anything about how it works. they suggested the 420cc. So that's why I reached out. Like I said the guy said it has reverse so I thought the 2 cycle front to bck line uo would wrk instead of my side to side. Again thank you for your time
Old 07-08-2022, 02:17 PM   #18
Darla Mc
Not Yet Wild

Another question. What about aftermarket go cart forward reverse gear box?
Old 07-08-2022, 03:37 PM   #19
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Not strong enough for a golf cart clone combo.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 09:29 PM   #20
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

The two stroke cart doesn't have a "reverse gear" in the transaxle. To obtain reverse, the engine actually runs in the reverse direction. So if you use that 2 cycle rear end, YOU WILL NOT HAVE REVERSE.

In contrast, the 4 cycle cart transaxle has an actual "reverse gear" and the engine just spins in one direction. Reverse is obtained by pushing a lever from F to R, which moves the transaxle gear into reverse gear via cable system.

If you don't care about reverse, go for it, it will work just fine IN FORWARD ONLY.

Go Kart parts will "in theory" work, but they are mostly designed for 9hp max, not the 420 engine that has 16-18hp. Plus it's quite a bit more work and those parts aren't cheap either. If you use a smaller engine you could do it. The Predator 212 would work, not as much power though.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1985, 420cc
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!