lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-06-2022, 08:01 PM   #1
jjastram
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default VC 460 Compression Release

Does the VC 460 have something to release compression so it starts easier? Can it fail at times? A while back mine started turning over real hard at times. Most of the time it would start normal, the other times not normal. I replaced the old 6 gauge battery cables with new 4 gauge wires, also replaced the solenoid to F2 on the starter with a new 4 guage wire. I thought maybe the 21 year old solenoid contacts were burned so I replaced it. Still sometimes it won't turn over the motor. Someone else mentioned that it sounded like it was trying to start against compression, so now I am looking for info about this. Thank you in adavance for any information on how compression release works in these motors.
jjastram is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-06-2022, 08:17 PM   #2
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: VC 460 Compression Release

The compression release is on the camshaft. IF your valve lash is too loose the compression release will not function. The only other failure would be the device itself broken or worn down on the camshaft.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 08:24 PM   #3
jjastram
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thank you, I will check valve lash this weekend. I upgraded the rockers and push rods 3 or 4 years ago and they seemed to be staying in adjustment but I haven't checked them in a couple of years.
Old 06-19-2023, 01:56 PM   #4
jjastram
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Now it's a year later and it started doing the same thing. I took it into a marine and small engine shop to have it looked at. He set the exhaust valve back to .005 it was at .028 but locks were still tight. He figured it was from cam lobe wear and would need replacing. I am thinking this winter I will pull it out and replace the cam. Are all cams created equal or is there a better one I should use? The guy at the shop also said with all I have put into the motor/cart I should at least put a decent carb on it. Any suggestions for a replacement carb? Thanks, Jerry.
Old 06-19-2023, 02:41 PM   #5
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

The race quality cams for double springs are much harder than the twister or torque cam. There is are some mild grinds sold by NRracing or ARC racing with similar specs to the torque cam.Just make sure you don't go over 0.350"s total lift. Shepard and I looked at the 280 series from NR either the 0211 or or 0411 unit. I didn't do it but he was going to but alas I don't know which he finally used. Over that level the valve train needs and possibly head work reworking to avoid coil bind. Carbs can be more work as the slide carb such as the Mikuni VM series require quite a bit of linkage fabrication and don't have adjustable jetting options like the modded clone carbs. IF something happened to my Shepard built EXP-S or the original VC supplied 2 circuit with adjustable idle circuit I would just get a genuine Honda carb from ARC #DJ 3225 and add the adjustable main jet kit. If you are looking for something more a Mikuni VM 28-30 might be the answer. P.S. Just as a note I pulled down my Vc 460 long rod which had on of the original torque cams from VC and it showed no lobe wear what so ever. I had heard some of the later batches had issues BUT you might want to check IF the cam is an issue.
Old 06-19-2023, 03:07 PM   #6
jjastram
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The shop recommended a Mikuni and I will probably get one of those. They had no suggestion for a replacement cam. Thank you for your input, I will get ahold of NRacing and ARC Racing to see what they suggest. Thanks again.
Old 06-22-2023, 09:04 AM   #7
jjastram
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I contacted NR Racing and they need to know if the motor has a billet rod or flywheel. I email Vegas Carts for this information but they can't provide it. Does anyone here know if these motors came with those parts that were billet.

They did reccammend a highly modified Honda carb (gas or methonol) that would easily work with my current linkage.https://www.nrracing.com/product-p/16100-z1c-24mm.htm Again, thanks for any help.
Old 06-22-2023, 10:39 AM   #8
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

No billet flywheel for sure. Billet connecting rod on gen 2 and 3 engines. Original gen 460's still had the cast rod. By the year you started it is a gen 2 or gen 3. IF you have something to look down the spark plug hole you can say which. The gen2 would have the dished piston and the Arc billet rod and if it has a flat top piston it has the VC produced billet long rod. The odds of probability are that it is a gen 3 as I think that was where the biggest production was before the EPA shut the supply off. As far as the billet flywheel goes I am running one on my Omega build BUT unless you are planning over a 5500 rpm red line I don't think I would spend the $'s IF you are planning over a 5500 rpms red line the stock slip lock valve retainers are a no no and must be replace with the SS valves and automotive type retainers. I am using the NRracing kit which they still sell.
Old 06-22-2023, 12:49 PM   #9
jjastram
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I ordered the motor in November 2016 and received it in December 2016. I'll look at the piston tomorrow when I get to the campground, if I can get my head down in there to look. I don't plan on reving it over 5,000 RPM. When I bought a new Made in America Comet 780 clutch they said not to rev it over 5,000. The VC 780 clutch was a clone, internal weight threads were all metric.
Old 06-22-2023, 01:19 PM   #10
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

As far as the carb goes you probably have the VC 2 circuit which has an adjustable idle circuit. By merely adding an adjustable main jet from NR you will have a really tuneable carb. I dechoked and throated both my 2 & 3 circuit VC carbs. I did become the poster boy for the 3 circuit carb which did not have an adjustable idle circuit. Luckily Shepard was able to save the carb and showed how it was done. If you run a slightly rich mixture the engine will start cold without the choke and with the carb dechoked and throated the air flow is up about 30% giving some very noticeable power gains as long as you keep up with the mixture. P.S. I bumped both of Shepard's threads on the 24 mm 3 circuit carb
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps