lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-22-2021, 11:38 PM   #21
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Ampere Time LifePo4 12v 50ah batteries

Parallel connection was just to get them balanced. They will be connected in series when installed in the cart.

@benjylafond, make sure you use a 48v to 12v reducer for the headlights and taillights, don’t be tempted to connect to one 12v battery only. Your pack will become unbalanced very quickly if you do so.

I believe there should be no connection between the OBC and the controller once it’s bypassed, so I guess the bypass hasn’t been done.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-23-2021, 01:46 PM   #22
benjylafond
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
Parallel connection was just to get them balanced. They will be connected in series when installed in the cart.

@benjylafond, make sure you use a 48v to 12v reducer for the headlights and taillights, don’t be tempted to connect to one 12v battery only. Your pack will become unbalanced very quickly if you do so.

I believe there should be no connection between the OBC and the controller once it’s bypassed, so I guess the bypass hasn’t been done.

Cheers
Pat.
Thanks @Pat911. Yes, the batteries were connected in parallel to balance per manufacturer's recommendations. They are connected in series to get to 48v.

So all i should have to do to complete OBC bypass is disconnect yellow wire from OBC to M- on controller, since solenoid yellow wire is already connected to B- on controller?
benjylafond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 02:44 PM   #23
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

I’m not familiar with the DS colour coding or solenoid connections and I don’t want to give you the wrong info.

Check here
https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...ght=OBC+bypassHi,
Old 10-30-2021, 01:48 PM   #24
benjylafond
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Getting everything buttoned up but cart won't move. Solenoid clicks but cart won't move. Maybe I did OBC bypass incorrectly? Disconnected yellow wire from OBC that was connected to my Alltrax SR48500. Connected yellow wire from Solenoid to B- on controller but no luck. Going to search the forums on the solenoid click but no go issue.
Old 10-31-2021, 04:36 PM   #25
benjylafond
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Fixed it. The wire to the "J5" connection on my Alltrax had come loose (it is on underside of controller where I have it mounted and I couldn't see it was loose).

Impressions on the Ampere 12v 50AH batteries. Started out with "throttle rate setting at 15% on Alltrax, TOO SLOW. So I drove it around and kept increasing throttle rate setting until the acceleration was acceptable. 40% was plenty of get up and go. No issues with the bms cutting off during acceleration and I took it on a long very slight grade with my wife and little one in the cart so for my purposes the discharge rate should work. Couldn't get a top speed on the cart because roads in my neigbhorhood are not long or straight enough, but did get to 28 mph on the longest stretch. Cart definitely is not as quick as it was with lead acid batteries, but I'm going to play with the controller settings some more to see what the top settings are for the cart that will keep the BMS on the batteries from stopping the cart.
Old 11-01-2021, 05:35 AM   #26
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjylafond View Post
Cart definitely is not as quick as it was with lead acid batteries, but I'm going to play with the controller settings some more to see what the top settings are for the cart that will keep the BMS on the batteries from stopping the cart.
Good to see you got it sorted but it definitely should accelerate quicker with lithium compared to FLA. top speed should be similar but it should “feel” faster.

Cheers
Pat.
Old 11-01-2021, 10:32 AM   #27
jwhranger
Gone Wild

That's awesome that it works for your application, definitely a money saver! I'll join the never mess with watering your batteries again club soon!
jwhranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 10:41 AM   #28
benjylafond
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
Good to see you got it sorted but it definitely should accelerate quicker with lithium compared to FLA. top speed should be similar but it should “feel” faster.

Cheers
Pat.
I'm going to mess with the Alltrax throttle and amp settings some more this week. With the big tires and rattlesnake motor, I have them set significantly lower than I did with the Trojan batteries, my main goal was to get cart running yesterday for "trick or treating"!
Old 01-10-2022, 05:50 PM   #29
Joe Kitzman
Not Yet Wild

im thinking of doing the "same" for my 36v cart they have 12v 100ah batteies for $350 on amazon. anyone ever tried the zooms or chins battery from amazon?
Joe Kitzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 01:30 AM   #30
Brob1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

So I was recently given three Renogy SMART LiFePO4 12v 100Ah batteries that wouldn't take a charge. As I was reading up on the batteries, I learned that Renogy says you absolutely cannot use the batteries in series, only parallel.
I found the battery cases had moisture inside and the BMS boards were corroded. I am assuming this was the issue, all the individual cells (16 per battery) are in great condition.
My plan is to get a 12s 36v BMS and make one 36v battery out of the pouches.

My Alltrax controller is capable of 500a discharge to the motor; though it's doubtful my usage would get there, it is possible. Now most BMs out there aren't capable of supporting this rate of current, so my plan is to use the BMS for monitoring, charging, and balancing the cells. The way these cells are arranged, there are 4+ wires and 4- wires on each 12v module; I plan to use a pair for charging through the BMS and a pair to hook to the controller directly from the battery. Alternatively, I may use a high amperage continuous duty contactor which is switched by the BMS; I believe this route would provide another level of protection from over-discharging the pack. If it seems like this could be an issue, then I will add in the contactor.

I am curious if the BMS has limited the OPs cart during operation at all.
Brob1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium