lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-19-2020, 01:20 PM   #1
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Default G29 Solenoid activation Inputs

2012 G29.

Under normal conditions does controller need BOTH Key AND pedal switch input to close the circuit and activate Solenoid?

Solenoid stays engaged (drains batts) with key switch off (and unplugged).

Unless I am missing something, this appears to be a controller issue
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-19-2020, 03:15 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: G29 Solenoid activation Inputs

Sounds like controller issue. The gas pedal & key switch have no direct input on solenoid state. They merely suggest to the controller that you would like the solenoid on & to travel.

Solenoid gets its control input B+ from Tow/run switch & its B- from the controller.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 10:19 PM   #3
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Sounds like controller issue. The gas pedal & key switch have no direct input on solenoid state. They merely suggest to the controller that you would like the solenoid on & to travel.

Solenoid gets its control input B+ from Tow/run switch & its B- from the controller.
Thanks so much CG. However, I am still unsure about the actual required inputs to the controller.

I understand that B+ flows to solenoid from R/T switch and the controller closes the circuit to B-. Does controller need input from both key and pedal or just key to close circuit?

For comparison, I know the RXV closes Sol on Key and charge port input only and older carts require 4 mechanical switches in series to close to activate Sol. I was just not sure which inputs are mandatory for G29 controller to activate/close Sol.
Old 03-20-2020, 02:53 AM   #4
cgtech

Yamaha

Make NO comparison to rxv, totally different animal.

A couple things we need to clear up... Stock moric controller? Stock motor?

Assuming stock controller, good wiring harness, functional reverse buzzer (for informational purposes only, not "kills the controller like rxv"). Should be able to push cart & it'll click solenoid, beep reverse buzzer, and try hard to stop you from pushing it (key off, pedal off, tow/run ON). Technically, controller doesnt need input from key or pedal to activate solenoid.

I think you have a failed controller, but, it is odd, because that's totally not how they usually fail. They usually fail to "zero response, nada, nothing".

And the solenoid is on even when Tow/run switch is unplugged?
Old 03-20-2020, 04:18 AM   #5
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Make NO comparison to rxv, totally different animal.

A couple things we need to clear up... Stock moric controller? Stock motor?

Assuming stock controller, good wiring harness, functional reverse buzzer (for informational purposes only, not "kills the controller like rxv"). Should be able to push cart & it'll click solenoid, beep reverse buzzer, and try hard to stop you from pushing it (key off, pedal off, tow/run ON). Technically, controller doesnt need input from key or pedal to activate solenoid.

I think you have a failed controller, but, it is odd, because that's totally not how they usually fail. They usually fail to "zero response, nada, nothing".

And the solenoid is on even when Tow/run switch is unplugged?
No, Solenoid is on even with KEY switch unplugged. Switching RT switch to off is the only way to release Sol.

Yes, Stock motor and Controller, reverse buzzer works.

The odd thing is the cart drives fine, the SOL just does not release when I park it and it gets hot and over time drains battery.

Like you said, it just seemed very odd to me that the activation circuit inside is the controller "failed shut" and I just wanted to be sure I understood what was going on and that I was not missing something.

However, your diagnosis confirms mine which I had hoped was wrong, LOL.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:03 AM   #6
cgtech

Yamaha

Well, I dont like your wire harness either right now.

But the stock controller is trash anyway.

Probably do controller & plan on motor soon. (Stock motor was trash)

Was the downfall of the best yamana electric ever, G22e. Best frame/suspension/steering ever made. But some had crap motor & controller. (I suppose it makes it the best "upgrade candidate" ever, especially for a "hot street cart").
Old 03-21-2020, 05:52 AM   #7
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Well, I dont like your wire harness either right now.

But the stock controller is trash anyway.

Probably do controller & plan on motor soon. (Stock motor was trash)

Was the downfall of the best yamana electric ever, G22e. Best frame/suspension/steering ever made. But some had crap motor & controller. (I suppose it makes it the best "upgrade candidate" ever, especially for a "hot street cart").
I may have located a working used controller I can use to verify the problem and get the cart going until I can decide what to do regarding controller upgrades (if the used one does not fail before then, LOL).

BTW, everything you said about Yamaha I have found to be true; great cart except for the motor and controller. :-(

THANK YOU again for all your help!
Old 03-21-2020, 10:19 AM   #8
wjrich100
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordpi View Post
I may have located a working used controller I can use to verify the problem and get the cart going until I can decide what to do regarding controller upgrades (if the used one does not fail before then, LOL).

BTW, everything you said about Yamaha I have found to be true; great cart except for the motor and controller. :-(

THANK YOU again for all your help!
Have a Moric controller that I just took off of my 2006 G22 I'll let you have for shipping costs if you can't find one.
PM me if interested
wjrich100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 11:15 AM   #9
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjrich100 View Post
have a moric controller that i just took off of my 2006 g22 i'll let you have for shipping costs if you can't find one.
Pm me if interested
thank you!
Old 03-21-2020, 02:26 PM   #10
wjrich100
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordpi View Post
thank you!
Not sure of this site's PM functioning- let me know if you rec'd my response
wjrich100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha