lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-23-2021, 01:08 AM   #71
HeatWave
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Best lithium setup for Navitas 600/5kw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstop View Post
My opinion is that efficiency can be measured a few different ways - speed with a given energy input, or range with a given amount of energy.

So generally speaking I think if you can increase speed with a given amount of energy, you will also increase potential range.

That said, no, I didn't observe an increase in range but I also didn't specifically test it either. I think if there was less rolling resistance by increasing tire pressure, I'd see it both in higher attainable speeds as well as in range at a given speed.

The cart probably does actually go faster with higher pressure, it is just (in my case anyway) very, very slight - less than 1mph from my recollection, and not enough to make any difference for me, but I can tell the difference over bumps, and that does make a difference for me.

I've mentioned this before I think, but my tires are radials and have a very large / wide, flat contact area with the road. And they are stiff as far as the sidewall goes. They basically look the same if you have 3psi in them or 20psi. They don't have a crown like a lot of golf cart tires, where when you put lots of pressure in them only the center part touches the road while the farther from the centerline you go, there is much less tire to road contact. I think these are the kinds of tires where you can reduce rolling resistance significantly by increasing pressure.

I chose this type of tire though because it has excellent grip for handling and braking, and the particular tread pattern and type is super quiet at faster cruising speeds. Not the cushiest tire out there though, and likely not the fastest / most efficient either, so you win some, you lose some...
HeatWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-24-2021, 01:05 PM   #72
dougrobling
Getting Wild
Club Car

I have a 24 cell 120aH LiFePo battery (86V charge voltage) and max out (rpm limits) at right at 50 mph. That’s too fast even with hydraulic front brakes, so I electronically limit it to 40mph for day to day driving. Even with the current limiter set to 200A it only falls off to 37-38 up the steeper hills.
dougrobling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 01:09 PM   #73
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougrobling View Post
I have a 24 cell 120aH LiFePo battery (86V charge voltage) and max out (rpm limits) at right at 50 mph. That’s too fast even with hydraulic front brakes, so I electronically limit it to 40mph for day to day driving. Even with the current limiter set to 200A it only falls off to 37-38 up the steeper hills.
Doug, what is your RPM limit (I seem to remember you have 22" tires?), and what Navitas FW revision are you using?
Thanks!
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 05:06 PM   #74
dougrobling
Getting Wild
Club Car

9000 rpm. I’m not sure of the version. (I updated it a few weeks ago, so I should have the latest...)
dougrobling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 07:33 PM   #75
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougrobling View Post
9000 rpm. I’m not sure of the version. (I updated it a few weeks ago, so I should have the latest...)
Interesting.

Mine is limiting me to 8500. A few weeks ago I called and asked them why, and though they didn't actually come right out and say that the controller was limiting it at 8500, they indicated that older FW versions "may" have allowed for more on top, adding that around mid-January there would be a new FW that had similar power / torque curves to the older versions, but with the refinements that have been added since (eliminating occasional jerkiness).

They released a new version about 10 days ago, which I presume was it, but I'm still hitting a limit right at about 8500. Not sure what the FW addressed, as I can't discern anything that seems different.
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 06:31 PM   #76
cbrbob
Not Yet Wild

So looks like there isn't a solid answer for a recommended 72-volt lithium battery setup. I have tried a 66-volt Chevy VOLT battery and for me, it didn't last as long or move the cart, as well as the 8 cell G1 LEAF pack, did, I would like to get up to a true 72-volt battery and thinking of adding a few more G1 cell to my current pack. Is there a good resource for the Navitas controller setting?
Bob
cbrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:21 AM   #77
Nolagt
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrbob View Post
So looks like there isn't a solid answer for a recommended 72-volt lithium battery setup. I have tried a 66-volt Chevy VOLT battery and for me, it didn't last as long or move the cart, as well as the 8 cell G1 LEAF pack, did, I would like to get up to a true 72-volt battery and thinking of adding a few more G1 cell to my current pack. Is there a good resource for the Navitas controller setting?
Bob
I went with a extreme team 72v 150ah (biggest I could fit in my onward) to pair with a 5kw AC conversion. I hope to have the battery end of the month and then install everything. No idea how it will all perform but I have seen some nice wheelie vids on FB with similar setups.
Nolagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 03:59 PM   #78
Amgclubcar087
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hey, I’m not that active on this but would like to chime in. I know from a YouTube channel and personal experience that big battery makes good lithium batteries in many configurations. 36, 48, 72v, they come in kits and have all wiring and chargers needed. People have put them in cc precedents and others. They have a good support system too. I bought a kit to put on my cart with the 5kw navitas but never got to install it but it looked good from in the box!

https://bigbattery.com/golf-carts/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecpchris View Post
Hi all,
I know these posts are likely rampant, but did some research and could use some centralized info to make a decision.

I have an Onward with Navitas AC conversion/600a controller on the stock lead acid batteries. I'm underwhelmed with acceleration and battery life using the oem batteries and want to upgrade to lithium. I'd prefer a "plug and play" setup because I don't feel comfortable piecing together a kit myself and am unaware of any local to help.
I looked into Roypow but heard from 2 different dealers that they have issues with voltage drop on the Navitas setups and haven't figured out a fix.
Looked into Allied, more expensive, and not sure if they figured out the battery balancing and charging issues.

In your opinion(s), what would be the best setup as far as:
1) safety
2) reliability/longevity
3) best suited for my motor/controller
4) price

in that order
Amgclubcar087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 04:43 PM   #79
Dallas@Eco Battery
Getting Wild

For anyone interested, we have our new 70 volt battery bundles for all popular carts. Our bundles include the battery, mounting brackets and hardware, charger, SOC gauge and 12 volt converter.
Dallas@Eco Battery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 03:10 PM   #80
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

I installed an Extreme Team 72V/100ah lithium with my Navitas 600A/5kw AC and love it! I've reached 50 mph so far and the acceleration is awesome. I like this setup so much that I ordered a bigger Extreme Team battery (72V/150ah) for my other cart which also uses a Navitas 600A/5kw AC system.
jonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car