lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-12-2020, 11:48 PM   #1
Niz76
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Another 48v Leaf (14) Module build. 2017 Precedent.

Thanks everyone for all of the leaf module info you've been sharing here. Yt vids and other places on the web are great, but it's forums like these that really get into the nitty gritty that're super helpful.
Been creeping here for awhile soaking up the info and starting on my 14 module 48v Nissan Leaf pack for my 2017 CC Precedent.
I originally only planned on a 7 module pack (TechDirectClub) but after more research and realizing my Gen1 modules are probably closer to 40ah than the stated 66ah I opted to go for the 14 modules. Of course I made the mistake of ordering the first seven before I really should have and now have another batch of 8 modules from a different seller, different batch. Oops.

Interestingly, the second batch I ordered is from Green Tech Auto who seems to be the same folks that made the "2011 Nissan LEAF Battery - Deep Dive" video on YT. Really great vid if you don't mind the kinda boring classroom style presentation. There's some good info in there and even the torque parameters of the Leaf module bolts that don't seem to be found anywhere else...

*Spoiler Alert* The torque settings for the holding rods are 85 inch/lbs (between 7&8 ft/lbs), the larger +/- bus bar bolts 49 in/lbs (less than 5 ft/lbs), and the vsense center screws just less than 1 ft/lb. Not that I'll be using a torque wrench

Happily, Green Tech Auto actually included the spacers with their modules- ty! They also went through the trouble of testing and labeling each of the modules with their actual ah capacity. Sweet!

I may have the means to somehow check ah capacity of my TechDirect cells but I'll have to do some more research on that...

So here's where I'm at now; just a big stack of modules laying around that I need to get made into a pack... and fast...

...because I sold my lead acids on FB Marketplace today!

Now to get this mess cleaned up and get on with the show...

Last edited by Niz76; 05-13-2020 at 12:08 AM.. Reason: Trying to resize pics
Niz76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-12-2020, 11:52 PM   #2
Niz76
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Another 48v Leaf (14) Module build. 2017 Precedent.

Took me a bit to figure out how to make my pics not so huge, but I finally got it figured out.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:15 PM   #3
fernandw72
Not Yet Wild

How is your conversion project coming along?
fernandw72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:16 PM   #4
Niz76
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

My apologies I never came back and updated the thread. Pack has been running great for months now! I did mine a little differently than some here and also added two cell monitor displays. Been a very reliable setup with no issues. Will update thread w/pics etc. soon!
Old 07-28-2022, 10:13 PM   #5
Niz76
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

It's been a long time but I'm finally back to finish this thread haha.
Over time I actually built a number of packs and sold them. I had more folks wanting them than I could possibly build!

Eventually just ordered a whole dang leaf battery and harvested the cells...

My own personal pack was the first that I built and has worked great for over 2 years now. Zero issues. A bit messy tho.
The bus bars are made from copper pipe I hammered down and drilled holes in lol. Still driving it like that to this day!

As I built a few more packs they got better and cleaner. Here is a 14 module 14s 48v (58.8 ) and 10 module 10s 36v (42v) going to the same buyer...

I used the pre-made BMS modules from Tech Direct and added cell monitor/alarms. The cell monitors are only capable of 8s each so had to use two on each build. Would kill for a nice 14/16s cell monitor w/custom cell alarm. C'mon China!

Custom made the series connectors and often custom cut n drilled the long bus bars harvested from the full leaf pack. Those long bus bars are nice.

Here's one almost complete:

I got decent at heating and bending my own clear plastic covers on a little wooden jig I made but it was the colored sheathing that really sold these packs.

After a while I didn't bother building anymore of the 7 module 14s (48v) "little" packs as the Ah rating of these cells is already decreased. Maybe good for a stock cart but I found the decreased capacity also killed the output amperage ability and gave too much voltage sag. I wouldn't recommend building one.

I also used the 15a chargers Tech Direct used to sell. I even made a little 'spec sheet' to include:

That was about 2 years ago. To this day I still get messages from folks wanting these packs. I'd love to keep making them but cells are hard to find or too expensive and Tech Direct is now Bigbattery and doesn't sell the items I used to use.
As mentioned in many of the posts here, I did not run the load through the BMS- charge current only. Cells have stayed pretty balanced for over two years however sometimes I can't help but to tinker and use a 12v automotive bulb to drain highest cell quicker for 100% full charge.

I fully believe these Nissan cells are excellent and I like the fact that they can built as a 14s pack for 58v instead of 16s like a lot of the prismatic type cells being used today.

For a 'second life' in a golf cart pulling light duty these cells really have retired to easy street. Ha.
Old 07-28-2022, 10:42 PM   #6
Niz76
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Always have fun cranking up the 'accel' dial on the on-the-fly controls and zipping up and down the steep ditches near my house with my daughters. They squeal with delight (with their seatbelts on of course) at the seemingly unlimited torque these cells will put out when not hindered by a BMS monitoring the load. Fun times!

My 58v Nissan Leaf powered beast w/custom made front body made from foam and bondo. ;)

Old 07-29-2022, 07:46 AM   #7
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Very clean work-impressive!!
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 08:19 AM   #8
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Nice! I wish these cells were more available! My first conversion is over 6 years old now and the cells are as good as when I got them. I was lucky - mine came out of a very low mileage crashed Leaf. I would be concerned that most cells available today are well used and some are probably not going to perform like the ones I have. I built my own BMS that also only monitors charging with a current cut-off. With these cells, I do not see the need to monitor discharge current - just cell voltages.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 08:48 AM   #9
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Nice cowl from Bondo 'n "stuff". You should post a thread on "how to do" that!!

I gleaned thru your thread and I can add just a few comments:

---I also mixed my initial 7 module unit with another 7 module unit. I "added" the 7 additional modules about a year or so after the initial install. That was (IIRC) about 3 years ago and the pack is still running strong with no adverse effects to "mixing" the modules.

---I noticed your minimum (low voltage) cutoff is 35V or 2.5V per cell. My BMS setting for low voltage is 39.6V for the pack...or 2.83V for a cell. I know the "line in the sand" for LV is 2.5V. I also know that when my total pack V drops to 50V at rest, if I demand a lot of juice (up a hill etc) the BMS will kick in the LV and everything stops! Just one cell dropping below the 2.83V (which can happen under demand) is easy enough with the voltage is at the lithium "knee". Bottom line is, when my pack voltage hit's 50V (at rest) it's time to charge it up.

Great thread!!
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 01:34 PM   #10
Rvaviator
Not Yet Wild

Niz76. I would love to buy one of those 14cell packs with bms. I’m in south Florida. Been looking at leaf cells for some time…still on the hunt for them but seems their price puts them on average with off the shelf batteries.

Carl
Rvaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car