lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-09-2019, 10:35 PM   #11
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Default Re: Vanguard 23 Carburators

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Ended up with a Mikuni 42mm carb from a Yamaha Grizzly 660 atv. The carb manifold adapter is from Performance 670 and is a direct fit for the 2bbl Vanguard carb manifold.

pilot jet = stock
mid jet = one size up (wasn't marked, came in the kit)
main jet = 175 (stock was 140)
needle = lowest setting

The result? Starts without choke/enrichment. Idles at 900 rpm and very smoothly. Revs past 5000 rpm. There is still a bit of a stumble just above idle, I'm guessing the needle needs moved up or the mid jet needs to be larger. Power off idle is FANTASTIC! It will peel grass and throw gravel instantly. WAY better than expected. The upper rpm power is also FANTASTIC! I can feel the full shift of the clutch come in at about 3500 or so maybe, then the engine just takes off! It feels like it would rev forever, never really runs flat, just keeps accelerating. I did accidentally rev it past 5000 rpm one time, it just revs out so quickly. So I did a few 200 yard runs and it just has tons of power. Just gotta get that mid range stumble fixed and it'll be good to go.

I have heard people tell me that this carb was way too large. My thinking was that the Yamaha 660cc engine is similar in displacement to this engine so it has to be close. I'm very pleased with how it worked out, especially the idle. Even my 12 year old son commented on how nice it sounds at idle. It starts up instantly, even cold. Very pleased with how easy it was to jet and set the idle air setting. So much adjust-ability. It took a few hours to tune it, but once I changed jets it was easy to tell which direction I needed to go. Just took some patience.
Looks great the way you have it now, no stainless hose clamp monster. Here's another idea that could get you some more power and really eliminate the off idle flat spots. A 40mm or 44mm Keihin CV carburetor from a Harley. They can be tricked out to perform very well and best of all they have an accelerator pump. They can be picked up on ebay. Just another idea for the next build. Oh ya -- there's a lot of air filters that can be set up on a Keihin
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-10-2019, 07:03 PM   #12
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Thanks Shepard! And thanks again for the suggestion of that adapter

I've been toying around with the idea of the 34mm version of this carb, just for comparisons sake. I ordered an ebay cheapie version for fun. Can't beat the price.

My only issue with the Harley carbs is the way they mount.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:43 PM   #13
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Thanks Shepard! And thanks again for the suggestion of that adapter

I've been toying around with the idea of the 34mm version of this carb, just for comparisons sake. I ordered an ebay cheapie version for fun. Can't beat the price.

My only issue with the Harley carbs is the way they mount.
No disrespect but Harley carbs can mounted with a rubber spigot mount the same style as your 42mm rubber spigot and a hose clamp.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:21 AM   #14
BIKERMIKEYBLACK
Gone Wild

Yamaha

My Harley had a 40 mm Kevin CV and slo has a 42 mm unless he went to a 45 mikuni it might make a difference but all in all it probably makes good enough as it
BIKERMIKEYBLACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:43 AM   #15
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I'm not an expert on Harley carbs, but the one's I've seen are flat on one side where the air filter mounts? Looks like you have to use metal air filter housings, the flat style. I don't have room for those kind of filters, the way mine is setup.

And you might be right, the Kehin carb might be better, but again, I'm just not familiar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg harley carb 1.jpg (86.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg harley carb 2.jpg (66.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg harley carb 3.jpg (48.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg harley carb 4.jpg (102.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-11-2019, 07:45 AM   #16
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

What I'm trying to do with this thread is show different carb options that people have actually tried for their big blocks, alternatives to the stock 2 barrel carbs. I'm sure there's someone who has tried a Harley carb, but I haven't seen it yet. I think any motorcycle type carb can work well if it's dialed in correctly. Jetting is key. Size? That's a different story. It takes some experimenting.

It's hard for people to spend good money on a carb and no know if it will work or not. That's why this thread will be helpful. To show "actual installs" of alternative carbs for the Vtwin big block 2 barrel carbs.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:32 PM   #17
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

One of the problems I've been having is the rear spark plug is always fuel fouling. If I let it idle for too long it loads up and I have to rev it up to get it to fire. Then it runs great. So I'm guessing I'm pretty rich at idle. I'll have to fiddle with my pilot jet. Wonder why it's the rear plug and not the front? (this would be looking at the engine as it sits in my cart)

Does anyone know if this carb should idle with the butterfly closed all the way? I was thinking it should, but I can only get it to fire up and idle if the butterfly is just cracked open.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:27 PM   #18
BIKERMIKEYBLACK
Gone Wild

Yamaha

SLO maybe that’s the reason the stock two barrel carbs have different jets for each cylinder
Possibly?
BIKERMIKEYBLACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:48 AM   #19
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIKERMIKEYBLACK View Post
SLO maybe that’s the reason the stock two barrel carbs have different jets for each cylinder
Possibly?
Yeah but plenty of twin cylinder bikes run single carbs without issue. The intake manifold on my 23 is still stock, so it splits in two just below the carb adapter. If the air/fuel mix is consistent and spot on, it should just split equally as the air flows toward the cylinder. I'm thinking the pilot jet is too rich and the fuel isn't atomizing properly, meaning the air is "wet". I just don't understand why one cylinder is getting more saturated than the other.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:59 AM   #20
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Have you ported the intake manifold and removed the center web between the 2 manifold holes? It should have a semi sharp edge to it so the intake flow isn't restricted and is guided into its port front or rear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Briggs Manifold.jpg (2.6 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!