lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-02-2016, 10:08 AM   #11
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Re: Harley Rear Shock Question

I found a place online that carries shocks for street rods that would work - no strut covers - although they are expensive at $75 each. But, they are polished chrome with poly bushings. They are also available in lots of different lengths in case you have changed the ride height. I will probably order one once I get my rear suspension done: longer coil springs and poly coil spring isolators to smooth the ride and lift it about 2" hopefully.
jonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-19-2022, 06:42 PM   #12
kah00na
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

I tried a strut from Napa, but the strut cover keeps it from fitting correctly. It was hitting up against the square bar at the top that holds the top of the strut. I could have taken a hammer to it and dented it a little to make it fit right. I need to find a different without the cover.
IMG_20220719_172051554.jpgBarStrut.jpg
kah00na is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 07:24 PM   #13
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

As I posted earlier the KYB343030 Excel G shock works perfect. I found it a rockauto under the 1962 Volvo 122 S station wagon. Listed at $16.99 plus shipping today. A couple of pics of it in my empty chassis on page 2 post #15 in my sled build of 1982 harley d model in the big block section. Perfect fit and great ride as it is a gas shock.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 08:04 PM   #14
kah00na
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Thanks! I'm brand new to this forum. Would you mind posting a link to that other thread? I found "Big Block Carts" but I'm not seeing your build thread.
Old 07-19-2022, 08:07 PM   #15
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

It is in the sled engine swap section under 1982 harley cart with Suzuki 440 cc engine which I just bumped.
Old 07-19-2022, 09:12 PM   #16
kah00na
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Awesome. I found it. Thanks! I just ordered one from Amazon. It should be here in a couple of days. I'll try to get some pictures taken of it before and after it is installed.
Old 07-20-2022, 09:15 AM   #17
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I wasn't aware something that different could be ordered on Amazon. Learn something new all the time
Old 07-22-2022, 04:01 PM   #18
kah00na
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

raydhd, you and I must have slightly different frames. The KYB343030 Excel G shock would not fit with the fat side up on mine. I could have attached the top side then pushed the bottom side in but it would have dented the shock and probably would have rubbed all the time. I ended up flipping it around and putting the skinny side up. It fits well this way. I do worry a little about dirt and gunk flying up and getting stuck in it but oh well. I got it installed and my cart is no longer bouncy in the backend. :)
shocks - side by side.jpgshocks - too tight.jpgIMG_20220722_154346657.jpgIMG_20220722_154354668.jpg
Old 07-22-2022, 04:57 PM   #19
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

You wonder how precise HD was with their bracket production and location. I am going to go out and look how close mine is. P.S. I see that upper cover is right against the frame BUT is has been on there since 2016 and can't say that it made any noise or other issues. It might have gotten slightly deformed ? OR the 1982 uses a different rear end from the earlier units and the bottom mount moves the shock out farther and at less of an angle ? One other thought is I am not using that tensioning rod from the frame to the read axle and maybe my axle is sitting further back ? On page #4 post #31 you can see with the sled engine installed there is no room for the tensioning rod at all. Sorry my solution didn't work as well for you
Old 07-23-2022, 06:04 AM   #20
kah00na
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

The shock you suggested will work fine. I'd rather have it like this than spend closer to $70 on an older closer-to-original part. The other shock I tried from Napa would not fit installed either way. My purpose of rebuilding this cart is to drive around summer camp, deliver luggage, and ride around instead of walking so much. :)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson