lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-05-2022, 01:07 PM   #1
ImplantLabTech
Getting Wild

Default High garage temps

I have a relion set up and the batteries have been working flawlessly. I have an onboard Delta_Q charger and its been charging fast and hard since the install with no issues. Now my ambient temp in the garage right now is quite high and it's causing the charge to initiate the safety and shut it off prior to full charge. Of course all I have to do is unplug let it cool and then reconnect to finish. Aside from blowing a fan on the charger is there a smarter way to charge these when the ambient temp is high????
ImplantLabTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-05-2022, 01:26 PM   #2
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: High garage temps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImplantLabTech View Post
I have a relion set up and the batteries have been working flawlessly. I have an onboard Delta_Q charger and its been charging fast and hard since the install with no issues. Now my ambient temp in the garage right now is quite high and it's causing the charge to initiate the safety and shut it off prior to full charge. Of course all I have to do is unplug let it cool and then reconnect to finish. Aside from blowing a fan on the charger is there a smarter way to charge these when the ambient temp is high????
LFP should be charged at temperatures up to 131F or 51C. If you are above that, even a fan will not help, although it will help remove heat from the charger.

You may be at 131F at the garage ceiling, but doubtful it is that high 24" above the floor where the battery is.

Aside from leaving the cart under a shade tree to charge it, open the garage doors and then close the doors at sundown and start the charge then.

You could install an outlet timer that will turn the charger on after midnight.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 08:10 AM   #3
cart12
Not Yet Wild

Implant,

It is my understanding you have a charger issue and not a battery issue. Here are my comments:

1. Low ac voltage supplied to your charger makes it work harder and run hotter. Make sure you are not using an overloaded ac circuit where another device is also drawing high amps at the same time. A quick ac voltage test at the receptacle while the charger is running may be in order.
2. If you are using an extension cord on your charger, ensure it is of proper gauge and not unnecessarily long.
3. The heat rejection capabilities (design) of your charger always caused me pause. The off board charger Relion supplied me with in my bundle has an internal fan that runs while charging. It is a Pro Charging Systems, model I4818CH, and has a custom Relion charge profile loaded from the factory. http://pcsdv.corecommerce.com/Eagle-...e-i4818CH.html
cart12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 11:14 PM   #4
ImplantLabTech
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart12 View Post
Implant,

It is my understanding you have a charger issue and not a battery issue. Here are my comments:

1. Low ac voltage supplied to your charger makes it work harder and run hotter. Make sure you are not using an overloaded ac circuit where another device is also drawing high amps at the same time. A quick ac voltage test at the receptacle while the charger is running may be in order.
2. If you are using an extension cord on your charger, ensure it is of proper gauge and not unnecessarily long.
3. The heat rejection capabilities (design) of your charger always caused me pause. The off board charger Relion supplied me with in my bundle has an internal fan that runs while charging. It is a Pro Charging Systems, model I4818CH, and has a custom Relion charge profile loaded from the factory. http://pcsdv.corecommerce.com/Eagle-...e-i4818CH.html
You maybe right, I do have the exact same charger you have that came with the batteries, The cart had lead acid before with the Delta Q installed up front and under the front end suspension "not easy to get to". I did change the charge profile on this charger to a generic lithium profile but I guess I need to not be so lazy and change it out to the new charger.

I think I will just bench test the supplied charger first to see if I get better results before I do the hard install.

Thanks for pushing me in this direction

EDIT I just looked up the charger you mentioned and it's not what came in my kit. It also looks like their bundles on line have changed and its stated as "Relion approved charger" but no more info.

Now I have to do my homework
Old 08-08-2022, 12:51 AM   #5
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Hi Implant,

Where is your charger? I assume under the seat. Are you lifting your seat while charging to help heat escape? This is good practice even if it is cooler as heat trapped under the seat will unnecessarily increase the cell temperature whilst charging and also shorten the life of your charger. Heat is the enemy of all electronics. I always lift my seat when charging as I use a 33A charger that gets quite warm.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 09:29 AM   #6
cart12
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImplantLabTech View Post
You maybe right, I do have the exact same charger you have that came with the batteries, The cart had lead acid before with the Delta Q installed up front and under the front end suspension "not easy to get to". I did change the charge profile on this charger to a generic lithium profile but I guess I need to not be so lazy and change it out to the new charger.

I think I will just bench test the supplied charger first to see if I get better results before I do the hard install.

Thanks for pushing me in this direction

EDIT I just looked up the charger you mentioned and it's not what came in my kit. It also looks like their bundles on line have changed and its stated as "Relion approved charger" but no more info.

Now I have to do my homework
FYI the charge profile Relion loaded in my Pro Charging Systems, model I4818CH, IS NOT a generic lithium charge profile. Instead, it charges consistently per Relion Insight Manual, pg 12, up to 55.2 volts.

The pack reaches 55.2V and sits there ~ 1 minute before the charge terminates. The Relion fuel gauge then reports back at 98-100% charge and 118-120Ah capacity.

After educating myself for weeks about charging LiFePO4 batteries, I support this Relion Insight recommended charging strategy as it does not unnecessarily overcharge these batteries. The balancing between batteries is also excellent.

I hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2022-08-08 100521.jpg (286.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-08-2022, 09:57 AM   #7
cart12
Not Yet Wild

n/m
Old 08-14-2022, 05:03 PM   #8
ImplantLabTech
Getting Wild

Just got back from vacation and read this, thank you for sharing your wisdom I appreciate it
Old 08-15-2022, 07:18 AM   #9
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Just a suggestion, only works if you have an available window, but do what I did and pick up a cheap window A\C unit for about $125. I set the temp for 68 degrees and putz in my garage all summer.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car