lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-04-2014, 03:02 PM   #1
Airbagged
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Possible engine for big block setup FD791D - DFI

Has anyone used one of the kawasaki water cooled V-twins in a gf cart yet?
At 26hp and a 40foot lb of torque claim, and being water cooled seems like this would be an interesting motor to use for a build.
FD791D - DFI
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (71.1 KB, 0 views)
Airbagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-04-2014, 09:30 PM   #2
Neverstopwheelie
Getting Wild

Default Re: Possible engine for big block setup FD791D - DFI

be basically like a v twin we have on in our john deere 445 runs good got good power but the 455 3 cylinder diesel smokes in in torque
Neverstopwheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:51 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Kaws are great engines, as good or better than vannys. There is less aftermarket for them though, but some stuff out there they do race them. Likely the vtwin is not used as much due to cost, its also pretty tall. I have family with a 27hp and we looked at it but would require a major frame rebuild to lower the engine cradle. We put a $300 clone in there instead and it runs 31mph on gps with 22s, otherwise stock just no governors. It does have a car airbox and muffler and will peel the tires in dirt. My clone with stock cam and some mods has hit 37mph on gps on 22s, but sure the twin is going to have piles of torque in comparison. With a twin I would be running minimum 25" tires, though 37 seems pretty fast on my cart lol.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:49 PM   #4
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Pretty much the horizontal version of the vertical shaft Kawi V-twin in our John Deere X540. Good engine, one common complaint of a bit of blue smoke on startup though - ours has done it since new. Have kept it serviced and it's never missed a beat except for the time it threw the clutch and pulleys out from under it - stock original design wasn't strong enough to hold up to the power of the engine and it sheared them. Could be made to work with some modding, but definitely more aftermarket for the Vannys.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:21 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The guy here at a speed shop ported and cut my head, he had just finished building some motors for the local lawn racing team and they were Kaws. I know guys that do lawn services and they like Kaws a lot. It all depends on what you want from the engine in a cart and what kind of deal you can get. I would run a Kaw any day but for mods I would have to look at what parts were out there first. Some day I'd like to build a trail cart with a twin and if I went 25-27 tires I could use a 23 minimum HP and just put a rev kit in it and be good. They only go average 20mph anyway so the midrange is what I would get/need the most with 25hp or more like a Kaw. I don't see needing to exceed 35mph. The only time I run that fast with the clone is testing it, I rarely go over 30. In that case a 25-30hp twin would be ideal and I would not need to build it up.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:23 AM   #6
Airbagged
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
The guy here at a speed shop ported and cut my head, he had just finished building some motors for the local lawn racing team and they were Kaws. I know guys that do lawn services and they like Kaws a lot. It all depends on what you want from the engine in a cart and what kind of deal you can get. I would run a Kaw any day but for mods I would have to look at what parts were out there first. Some day I'd like to build a trail cart with a twin and if I went 25-27 tires I could use a 23 minimum HP and just put a rev kit in it and be good. They only go average 20mph anyway so the midrange is what I would get/need the most with 25hp or more like a Kaw. I don't see needing to exceed 35mph. The only time I run that fast with the clone is testing it, I rarely go over 30. In that case a 25-30hp twin would be ideal and I would not need to build it up.
My 20hp Honda gx630 is enough, tons of torque and 30 mph plus with 23" tires, some people just have a need for speed, and want more, I choose the Honda because I've owned honda engines over 20 years now, and they really do take a beating and last a long time.
Airbagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!