lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-02-2008, 01:50 PM   #1
Todd82TA
Not Yet Wild

Default 36 Volt EZ-Go, boost of power, put a 12-Volt car battery in it?

Hey guys,

I've been told that I can run 48 volts on my 36 volt EZ-GO electric motor. Since I only cruise around the neighborhood in it, would it be "safe" for me to install a 12 Volt car battery in line of the six 6V Trojan batteries I already have?

Thanks!!!

Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2004 Volkswagen Beetle Convt. (Wife's)
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX-P74
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6 3.2
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter (Bus)
1973 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 455
Todd82TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-02-2008, 02:02 PM   #2
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: 36 Volt EZ-Go, boost of power, put a 12-Volt car battery in it?

No, your controller will fry. It's not a good idea to mix battery types.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:13 PM   #3
Todd82TA
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post
No, your controller will fry. It's not a good idea to mix battery types.
That's the thing, I actually doesn't have a controller.

The Golf Cart is so old, that there is nothing that even remotely resembles a computer.

Basically, I have four solenoids (some brand with the name White?), they are all brand new... they had been replaced in 2005. There are 6 Trojan 6V batteries, a F/R switch, an accelerator pedal (with a pentometer, I guess is what it's called) and an ignition switch. Then there is a seperate harness for the brake lights, headlights, etc. But as far as the controller goes, there's not much. As power is applied to the accelerator pedal, I'll hear a series of clicks, almost like a set of gears. When the first one clicks, I'm going at a snails pace. When the second one clicks, I'm going about half throttle. When the third one clicks, it's full throttle. The fourth one (in the back) is for reverse.

Then there's some sort of coil thing which is basically a twisted metal wire of sorts with a shield over it, that connects between the three forward speed solenoids. No controller though. I think the golf cart is from 1981.

I'll tell you this though. From a dead stop, when I mash the accelerator, the thing peels out like mad. It's got street tires (it was used in a stadium for 25+ years). I think I may buy some new tires for it... I'm hoping for a slightly taller tire in order to give it a higher top-end speed.
Todd82TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:43 PM   #4
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd82TA View Post
Hey guys,

I've been told that I can run 48 volts on my 36 volt EZ-GO electric motor.

Yes, you can do this, the motor will take it. However, you must be aware of the control circuitry limitations. If the solenoids are rated for 36v on the primary, 48v just might fry them. Running 48v through the secondary probably won't be a problem.

The twisted metal wire is a resisitor coil and this is how speed is controlled. It is sized and rated for 36v. 48v will work, but it's life will shorten.

Now you need someone who actually knows your cart schematic and can give real advice.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:49 PM   #5
roady89
nimda
Club Car

You have a resistor type cart, Like gorno said, YES you can add another battery but I wouldn't add a 12 volt automotive battery. You should add the same size/type battery.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO