lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-10-2016, 10:49 PM   #1
jaxx
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Starting Problems Carb Maybe?

I have a 1985 EZGO. I overhauled the engine and carb. in 2014. New filter, Belt,and gas cap. The cart ran without a hitch all last year. I put in fresh gas with sea Foam and and ran it for a while then put it in storage all winter at golf course. Went out to play today and no go. Starter runs but won't move. Have gas running out the little breather tube off the carb. Could the float be stuck? Air filter is a little dirty but not even be close to being plugged. Had the filter of still no run so I think that is not a problem. I installed a new plug no help and the old one was not very wet. Also should the plug fire all the time as on a car when you press on the petal as if you were moving? I get just a little spark just as you let off the pedal. I think it is in the carb but would like some input. Thanks Dennis
jaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-11-2016, 12:03 AM   #2
ironmonkey17
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Starting Problems Carb Maybe?

pull your air filter off so you have access to the rear of the carb and cover the carb with your hand completely and try starting it, it creates a strong suction, most of time it will clear the carb of any obstruction and give it a burst of fuel, if it ran right up to the time you parked it I would most likely think it was in the fuel system.
ironmonkey17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:25 AM   #3
jaxx
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks I will give that a try in the morn. Hope it works if not it was worth a try. Good thing the carb is easy to work on, Thanks again Dennis
Old 03-11-2016, 04:06 PM   #4
BigDfromTN
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Im thinking you should have continuous sparking while the engine is turning over. I would check those electrical connections.
BigDfromTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:13 PM   #5
jaxx
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I tried the hand over the carb today and it did the same thing. This is a one year old new carb. I had the old carb so I switched the carbs and the old one did not do it. So guess there is something stuck in the new carb. I will tear it apart and see what is wrong.

To Big D from TN; Checked out the plug -coil wire and it was good but have not checked the other stuff yet. Golfed today ( had to rent a cart bummer ) and seen a friend of mine that has a newer gas cart. He told me to try hooking ( jump start ) up a fully charged battery. He said he as seen the same spark problem on his motorcycles. The battery in my cart is who knows how old but old and he said that the battery just may not have the juice left in it. So I will try that tomorrow with a jumper pack, also check the load on the battery when I try and start it. I that is not the problem then I will did into the wiring and components seems it all looks good but you never know. Thanks for all the help and I will get back to you and let you know how it goes. Dennis
Old 03-11-2016, 10:19 PM   #6
ironmonkey17
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Big D is right you should have continuous spark, after you check all the wiring and getting a good power source, the next thing would be your coil.. all you need is spark fuel and air an it should run unless you got major damage.. the next thing is compression..engine compression test. if that all good then I'm lost. maybe someone else will chime in that knows more.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:00 AM   #7
Nifrost
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDfromTN View Post
Im thinking you should have continuous sparking while the engine is turning over. I would check those electrical connections.
^^^^ This.

Sounds like it could be a simple electrical connection. Since they can corrode over time, I too would disconnect, inspect and clean every one of them in the ignition circuit. (I've this happen to me in the past).
Nifrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:59 AM   #8
jaxx
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I checked compression and it is good. I will go out and check battery today and go from there. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it is the battery. If it works then I will leave the old carb on it and see what is wrong with the new carb. Dennis
Old 03-12-2016, 11:41 AM   #9
ironmonkey17
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx View Post
I checked compression and it is good. I will go out and check battery today and go from there. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it is the battery. If it works then I will leave the old carb on it and see what is wrong with the new carb. Dennis
I'm assuming your float is stuck on the carb .. drop the bowl clean it out wiggle it up and down spray some carb cleaner on it or let it soak for a day..good luck.
Old 03-12-2016, 12:42 PM   #10
jaxx
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks , I'll let you know
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO