lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-24-2011, 05:13 PM   #1
Ray and Lori's g14
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Can I start and stop my vanguard with the pedal?

I have a 18hp vanguard that I'm fixing to put in my g14. My question is will the motor start and stop like stock if I use the stock clutch, the starter and the stock solenoid. Or would it work beter just to set the motor back a little so the belt will slip so I can shift from forward to reverse( I know I will lose a little speed)

Sorry to ask so many dumb questions I have limited time to work on it with a new son in the house so just trying to get all of the info that I can ahead of time to cut down on the trail and error
Ray and Lori's g14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #2
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Default Re: Can I start and stop my vanguard with the pedal?

Yes, Fab up a mount for the starter/generator and you can run it just like a cart.
Ground wire from motor goes to ground micro just like cart motor.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:11 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Its up to you how you do it, but sure if you use the stock system it will work that way and pedal start. If you don't, then you need to figure out how to shift either a different clutch or put a brake on the secondary is an idea. A loose belt helps but really still does not work.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
Ray and Lori's g14
Gone Wild

Club Car

[QUOTE=crash12888;583509]Yes, Fab up a mount for the starter/generator and you can run it just like a cart.
Ground wire from motor goes to ground micro just like cart motor.[/QUOTE.

Which wire goes to the ground micro I have three wires to try two are in a clip and the other is lose I think they were all hooked to the lower part of the original motor. I got it to fire by jumping the silinoid I have gas all the way to the carb but she won't run unless I poor gas in the carb
Old 10-02-2011, 05:04 PM   #5
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Just out of idle curiosity how will this work. I have the same engine in another application and the first position of the key turns on the ignition and the second fires the starter motor, just like an automobile. So, as I see it, if you replace this with a switch on the accelerator then all the time the cart is running surely the starter motor will also be running. Unless I have missed the point this sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:02 PM   #6
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

If you set the pulley center-distance correctly,You won't have any shifting problems with the motor running.My Dad has done 2 conversions,1 Yamaha G16 and 1 Marathon,both with our own mounts that we built(maintaing the stock clutch-spacing).No problems shifting at idle,and we use the stock Briggs starter with a key-switch.We also utilize the Briggs charging-system,which is more than sufficient even with lights.As DaveBox said,using the starter/generator and a pedal-start can be a disaster waiting to happen,and also a builders nitemare.From my own experience of the take-off power (low-end torque)these motors have,I wouldn't want someone to accidently step on the pedal while trying to get on/off the cart!Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:23 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I did a clone 16hp with all stock clutches and generator, it works just like stock no problems at all. If you floor it yes it does take off harder than stock, but not like it pulls the front tires off the ground or anything. If you can't control your feet you should not be driving, or you're making funny youtube videos.

You can NOT use the engine starter with the pedal, the generator/starter does run all the time that is how it works.

It was actually quite easy to use the stock generator in a G9 only had to fab the bracket that adjusts the belt, used the stock mount for it which is part of the motor mount. Didn't have to touch the wiring at all. Simply made the mount and set the engine same distance to the secondary. Mount was a couple bars and a tube to tilt the engine forward because the lift tilts it back, so now it is near level. The stock engine hangs between the mounts so simply welded the bars across them and bolted the clone in.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:58 PM   #8
Ray and Lori's g14
Gone Wild

Club Car

Well I want it to run like stock I built a mount for the stock golf cart starter above the rear end. The motor had to be moved fwd because of the oil filter hitting the axle. My problem is that the motor won't stay running when it should like crash was saying I need to ground the motor to a certain wire and it will run like it did
Old 10-02-2011, 09:03 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I forget what the G14 has, some are mag ignition the older G9 is not. If mag then a wire from the coil on the flywheel gets ground to kill the engine. The cart would do that when the pedal is let off. You can run a lawn engine like a clone no problem the same way. On a G9 it has the ignitor that is like a CDI and powered, so it powers the ignition to make it run (just the opposite). I had to put in a relay to kill it. But that has nothing to do with gas in the carb. Unless you put an electric pump on or something, as most carts are pulse pump for gas. They pump when the engine turns over.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!