lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-29-2010, 08:28 AM   #1
encbuggy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Question basic DC converter wiring question

precedent 48V with 4 12V batteries

re: adding a 48V to 12V DC converter

when wiring a converter with 3 wires 48+ in, 12V+ out, and ground

into your precedent I assume that you run + off batt1 and - off battery 4 (4 12V batteries) and then run your 12V+ out to a fuse panel or fuse block.

Question is Do you also tap the converter negative wire and run to another terminal strip for future accessory connections?

i hope the question is clear wanting to know about wiring the negative wire from the converter, I assume it needs to be run to the battery negative and also to a negative terminal strip (used for future accessory connections).
encbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-29-2010, 08:36 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: basic DC converter wiring question

Yes, a negative terminal strip or bus bar is the way to go since electric vehicles are a 2 wire system. There is no frame grounding. Every 12v accessory will have a pos & neg wire going to it .....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:42 AM   #3
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by encbuggy View Post
precedent 48V with 4 12V batteries

re: adding a 48V to 12V DC converter

when wiring a converter with 3 wires 48+ in, 12V+ out, and ground

into your precedent I assume that you run + off batt1 and - off battery 4 (4 12V batteries) and then run your 12V+ out to a fuse panel or fuse block.

Question is Do you also tap the converter negative wire and run to another terminal strip for future accessory connections?

i hope the question is clear wanting to know about wiring the negative wire from the converter, I assume it needs to be run to the battery negative and also to a negative terminal strip (used for future accessory connections).
May I ask where you plan to place your converter and what you'll run off it?
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:33 PM   #4
encbuggy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubabud View Post
May I ask where you plan to place your converter and what you'll run off it?
sure, i don't know where exactly yet. I was thinking probably in the dash open area. i want to keep it close to the front panel so that future wiring will be easier.

if you have any ideas that would be helpful. i have seen some in the battery compartment and heard 1 person install one under the cart but i am thinking someplace that gets some air.

radio, 12V accessory plug, headlights, future stuff
Old 03-29-2010, 01:59 PM   #5
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
sure, i don't know where exactly yet. I was thinking probably in the dash open area. i want to keep it close to the front panel so that future wiring will be easier.

if you have any ideas that would be helpful. i have seen some in the battery compartment and heard 1 person install one under the cart but i am thinking someplace that gets some air.

radio, 12V accessory plug, headlights, future stuff
I found it actually easier to install mine under the OBC/Controller cover between the batteries on the passenger side, attaching it to the plastic floor. It's vented in there and also water proof under that cover. I ran 5 12g wires, (multi-colors including black for ground,) from there under the floor mat along with the wires/factory wiring harness currently running in the floor and up inside the dash so I wouldn't have to do it again. Two are still free from use and the other two plus the ground are what I use for 12v power for lights and accessory socket. I also switched the converter with a switch next to the F/R switch when I put the cart in storage. I've "fused" right from the main (+) battery to the converter for the 48v and also from the converter's +12v to the junction.

What brand did you go with as well as amperage output?
Old 03-29-2010, 03:22 PM   #6
encbuggy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

thanks for the location tip, i will definitely check that out. i guess you run the wires from the top center/front of the battery box along with the system wires to the front of the cart? I might add a switch as well.

I got a fuse block and thought that i would just run the fused converter output to the fuse panel and locate it up front so it would be easier to wire in additional devices later.

As for the type model it is Chinese and supposed to be 18A. 48V in 12V out. I am going to evaluate and see what it really does.

Do you have a pic of the dc converter install location somewhere on the web?

Quote:

I found it actually easier to install mine under the OBC/Controller cover between the batteries on the passenger side, attaching it to the plastic floor. It's vented in there and also water proof under that cover. I ran 5 12g wires, (multi-colors including black for ground,) from there under the floor mat along with the wires/factory wiring harness currently running in the floor and up inside the dash so I wouldn't have to do it again. Two are still free from use and the other two plus the ground are what I use for 12v power for lights and accessory socket. I also switched the converter with a switch next to the F/R switch when I put the cart in storage. I've "fused" right from the main (+) battery to the converter for the 48v and also from the converter's +12v to the junction.

What brand did you go with as well as amperage output?
Old 03-29-2010, 03:42 PM   #7
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
thanks for the location tip, i will definitely check that out. i guess you run the wires from the top center/front of the battery box along with the system wires to the front of the cart? I might add a switch as well.

I got a fuse block and thought that i would just run the fused converter output to the fuse panel and locate it up front so it would be easier to wire in additional devices later.

As for the type model it is Chinese and supposed to be 18A. 48V in 12V out. I am going to evaluate and see what it really does.

Do you have a pic of the dc converter install location somewhere on the web?

I'm not that happy with the one I installed, rated at 20a. When I turn my lights on it drops to 12v even but if I put in something else on the accessory plug it drops to 11v or less. It handles the amps fine even when I use an inverter to run 120v lights at Halloween or Christmas so maybe I'm just asking for too much. I'd be curious to see if your DC voltage drops below the 12v mark as well with a couple of loads on it. Sorry, no pictures on the Internet or here. I do have a picture of the one I installed and the location I used to install it to. See the nice flat floor inside next to the OBC? It's actually almost center in this spot and I used 2 sheet metal screws through the plastic floor to hole down the Converter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Voltage Reducer 20 amp 48-12.jpg (14.4 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0875.jpg (118.9 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0876.jpg (125.1 KB, 53 views)
Old 03-29-2010, 07:56 PM   #8
encbuggy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

i'm still trying to decide how to wire it all up. I currently have the red hawk 306 light kit installed and wired up via one battery. i could tie the converter into the lighting wire harness but I may leave it as is and then run the rest of the accessories off the converter.

I saw the pics you posted on your cart. The black color looks good

did you have any issues putting the 12V accessory plug in front panel?

also where did you get your billet front emblem (to replace club car)?

Quote:
I'm not that happy with the one I installed, rated at 20a. When I turn my lights on it drops to 12v even but if I put in something else on the accessory plug it drops to 11v or less. It handles the amps fine even when I use an inverter to run 120v lights at Halloween or Christmas so maybe I'm just asking for too much. I'd be curious to see if your DC voltage drops below the 12v mark as well with a couple of loads on it. Sorry, no pictures on the Internet or here. I do have a picture of the one I installed and the location I used to install it to. See the nice flat floor inside next to the OBC? It's actually almost center in this spot and I used 2 sheet metal screws through the plastic floor to hole down the Converter.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:16 PM   #9
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
i'm still trying to decide how to wire it all up. I currently have the red hawk 306 light kit installed and wired up via one battery. i could tie the converter into the lighting wire harness but I may leave it as is and then run the rest of the accessories off the converter.

I saw the pics you posted on your cart. The black color looks good

did you have any issues putting the 12V accessory plug in front panel?

also where did you get your billet front emblem (to replace club car)?

I do run everything off the converter with just the exception of a direct hookup to one battery for the alarm I have installed. The outlet in the dash was easy to do, you might have to move the buzzer around to get it in the dash the way you want it to be. The front grill I got off eBay, (couldn't find any real Billet material to put there but will if I find one,) and is NOT metal, just the same material as the CC logo.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car